Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Atlantic Storm Watch: December 2013

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Orange warning on met.ie for tomorrow has gone, I am guessing that it's being updated, if not, then there's something strange with the system!

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Orange warning on met.ie for tomorrow has gone, I am guessing that it's being updated, if not, then there's something strange with the system!

They removed the yellow warning and went for a nationwide orange warning. Same wind speeds.

The new warning includes wintry showers and is valid from 9pm tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

From a IMBY perspective I'm far more worried now about Friday's system

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

They removed the yellow warning and went for a nationwide orange warning. Same wind speeds.

The new warning includes wintry showers and is valid from 9pm tonight.

They even put in an exclamation mark! Can't see much snow down south west. They have reduced the wind speeds from 150 to 130.

Villain wrote: »

Is it not likely though to track further north or not be a vigorous?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭ArraMusha

Villain wrote: »

I would agree, it may have a more direct hit on the country, so I'll be keeping a close eye on the Atlantic charts.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Orange warning for tomorrow has indeed been upgraded, now countrywide, gusts up to 130 Kph, 2100 today to 1800 tomorrow, so also earlier and later as well.

Irish ferries Rosslare Pembroke is either cancelled or in doubt until after Christmas, Dublin Holyhead the Swift is going nowhere any time soon, and even here in Ashbourne, and we're pretty much sheltered from the west, it's getting to be noisy, the wind is picking up significantly.

Friday is for sure looking challenging, but the exact track and intensity won't be clear for at least a couple of days yet.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭howlinwolf

To be honest if you weren't followin this thread you would never know of the storm off to our west, it was just a wet and windy mornin here in carlow, then again we are a good bit inland, brightening up now and wind dying down...could that be it for us in the south east ?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Is it not likely though to track further north or not be a vigorous?

Hopefully it will, I like extreme weather but winds killing people and leaving people without power over xmas period isn't fun.

They even put in an exclamation mark! Can't see much snow down south west. They have reduced the wind speeds from 150 to 130.

Wind speeds were 130 on the old warning too. Anything 130+ is a red warning.

• Advertisement

Wind speeds were 130 on the old warning too. Anything 130+ is a red warning.

Oh ok sorry thought they had said up to 150. Must be confusing with MT forecast.

Where is the best site to monitor progress from here on in?

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭torres9kop

Sun breaking through in dun laoire. Is that it with the storm?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭relaxed

galwaybabe wrote: »
    Hi all. Planning to travel to Dublin from Galway either today or tomorrow, depending on weather. What would you recommend? Thanks in advance :)

In the modern era its motorway with no trees along the route, so they won't fall on you or block the entire road.

On the other hand the roads will be more exposed to wind, so 2 hands on the wheel and drive slowly I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭rosser44

torres9kop wrote: »
    Sun breaking through in dun laoire. Is that it with the storm?

It hasn't even started yet

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,392 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

howlinwolf wrote: »
    To be honest if you weren't followin this thread you would never know of the storm off to our west, it was just a wet and windy mornin here in carlow, then again we are a good bit inland, brightening up now and wind dying down...could that be it for us in the south east ?

Much the same in Leitrim at the minute.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,501 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Hermy wrote: »
    Much the same in Leitrim at the minute.

The system is still to develop out at sea.

howlinwolf wrote: »

The warning is valid from 9pm tonight onwards. The wind this morning was just with the front that passed over. But I wouldnt be expecting anything too severe in the southeast anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Deank

Nice satellite image of the system.

EUMETSAT_MSG_RGB-airmass-westernEurope.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

The warning is valid from 9pm tonight onwards. The wind this morning was just with the front that passed over. But I wouldnt be expecting anything too severe in the southeast anyway.

Where will be affected? Same as last week, the West/Northwest mainly?

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭aisling86

adox wrote: »
    Where will be affected? Same as last week, the West/Northwest mainly?

I think you need to read back through the last few pages or watch sky news!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

aisling86 wrote: »
    I think you need to read back through the last few pages or watch sky news!

Am in work so dont have time to read through the last few pages and would trust the opinion of posters on here over Sky News.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

aisling86 wrote: »
    .....watch sky news!
    They're only trying to frighten us! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭aisling86

adox wrote: »
    Am in work so dont have time to read through the last few pages and would trust the opinion of posters on here over Sky News.

This is the storm developing out at sea.....will be hitting from 6pm onwards throughout the night & well into tomorrow. Looking at winds of 130km, close to hurricane force 12. Stay safe

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Whitehorse

Heading from Castlebar to Omagh for the christmas, would I be safer going this evening (earliest I can leave is 5pm) or head up tomorrow afternoon. Initially I thought the winds would be gone by noon tomorrow but the more I read it says that winds may be bad until tomorrow night? Any advice is appreciated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

BigMoose wrote: »
    We've just set off on the Stena Rosslare to Fishguard ferry, they've warned of an unpleasant crossing and all the drink bottles just fell off the shelf in the cafe. But I'm more concerned for driving along the M4 and over the severn bridge later this afternoon.

Part of the M4 is closed I believe, don't know which part though.

http://farmingforum.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?16465-Todays-Storms-updates&p=211920&viewfull=1#post211920

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭BigMoose

I've been lying down for most of the trip, but just went out on deck to try and get a video of the weather, got soaked, nearly dropped my phone, so gave up and look a small one from inside :D but the ships wifi is awful and so I'll have to upload it later.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Can people read back through the thread or at least read MT's forecast for today before asking is that it? etc...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=88127927&postcount=3154

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

K4 buoy now down to 956.7 mb

This would lead to believe centre is near 950mb, somewhat deeper than forecast for this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

From my mate in England.

The QE2 Bridge from in England from Essex to Kent will close shortly and not re-open until 0400am tomorrow morning at the earliest, possible gusts to 70-80mph with 90mph on Coasts tonight and the Meto have now upgraded to an Amber Warning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭setanta1984

I'm supposed to be flying from Manchester to Cork on those aerarann/Aer Lingus regional propeller planes around 8pm Christmas eve, there's probably no chance of that flight going ahead is there :(:(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement