Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Atlantic Storm Watch: December 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

UKMO analysis chart (for noon today) shows the two depressions, its the lower one the models are showing swinging towards us as it gets absorbed, the gradient will tighten up and thats what will deliver the strong winds tonight and early tomorrow.

http://www.weathercharts.net/noaa_ukmo_analysis/PPVA89.gif

And here is the forecast chart for noon tomorrow, low has been absorbed and we have one very deep 926mb low off the coast of Scotland. Winds would still be strong over the north but much calmer at that point for areas further south.

http://www.weathercharts.net/noaa_ukmo_prognosis/PPVE89.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 7,197 ✭✭✭pad199207

Looking forward to the temp drop behind this line of showers. Should be interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

pad199207 wrote: »
    Looking forward to the temp drop behind this line of showers. Should be interesting

Same ! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

UKMO analysis chart (for noon today) shows the two depressions, its the lower one the models are showing swinging towards us as it gets absorbed, the gradient will tighten up and thats what will deliver the strong winds tonight and early tomorrow.

And here is the forecast chart for noon tomorrow, low has been absorbed and we have one very deep 926mb low off the coast of Scotland. Winds would still be strong over the north but much calmer at that point for areas further south.

Both the same charts i think?

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Wine Goddess

We up North for Christmas so think weather will be very interesting.we quite high up also so will post if anything good occurs. Unfortunately all weather measuring equipment in Dublin so no figures just reports!
    Happy Christmas to all - stay safe everyone!

• Advertisement

Both the same charts i think?

Thanks! I fixed the link.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭john mayo 10

preasure reading is 963.5.it was 976.8 this morning and was dropping steady all day until the last hour where it has plummeted

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

New record low for my station :eek:

[IMG][/img]Statsupdate23rdDec_zps7ac28f2f.jpg

The 4pm surface analysis chart plotted with nearby buoy reports shows the secondary low at 950mb at that time.

54937.jpeg

It dropped 3 mb in the past 2 hours before that. So at 5pm you'd expect it to be at 949 or 948. But the 5pm surface analysis chart, plotted witout the nearby buoy data and just the model to estimate instead, has it higher than it was at 4pm, at 952. So that secondary low is about 3-4mb deeper than the model forecast at that time. The gradient looks a little tighter south of the low on the 4pm chart too.

54938.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

Constantly refreshing hoping for a downgrade so the toddler will sleep through the night unlike the last storm and therefore so will I ;-)
    MTCs last comment has me worried.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

you can see that 2nd low forming and winding up now on sat24.com (Infra red)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

All 3 models have moved the storm centre further North
    It looks like another near miss away from the North

• Registered Users Posts: 31,928 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Treacherous driving conditions from Knock to Tuam. I've used all brain power focusing on the road. I've never witnessed anything like it in my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭cyclops999

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Winds should be at there lowest around now and will slowly begin to pick up in overnight.

Severest winds probably pushing on to west coast from 3-6am

And transferring east peaking from 7-11am Tuesday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Treacherous driving conditions from Knock to Tuam. I've used all brain power focusing on the road. I've never witnessed anything like it in my life.

It probably doesn't help using the net while driving. =P

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭Brianmeath

We up North for Christmas so think weather will be very interesting.we quite high up also so will post if anything good occurs. Unfortunately all weather measuring equipment in Dublin so no figures just reports!
    Happy Christmas to all - stay safe everyone!
    Think the north will end up in the south by the looks of whats coming. Starting to get windy in meath now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

My brother in law works for eircom he is on x-mas holidays at the moment,he said he got a text from his super to be ready for emergency call out first light tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Wind picking up in Swords NCD, last 10 mins

All 3 models have moved the storm centre further North
    It looks like another near miss away from the North

The center is already up north now as it is, its the seconadry low moving in from the west that gets absorbed overnight which will tighten the gradient.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

2 people dead in the UK due to severe weather.
    Rip.

Wind really picking up here now(cavan)
    Heavy driving rain as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

Gerrys on 6 one news in 2 minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 31,928 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

red_bairn wrote: »
    It probably doesn't help using the net while driving. =P

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

Sat24 showing a lot of lightning activity around Galway/south Mayo.

http://www.sat24.com/?culture=en&ir=true

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Tazio

Just checked out that 'wind' site as follows:

http://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wind/isobaric/1000hPa/orthographic=-11.01,53.62,2048

Sorry, but I had to add a mouth to this complex system... the Storm is looking at Ireland :eek: (please forgive me mods for my terrible sense of humour)..

285778.jpg

Still can't believe Munster is looking at Sleet & Snow tomorrow as per met.ie
    Extremely windy at first tomorrow, with gale force southwest winds and some severe or storm gusts. Showers also, many heavy, some thundery with hail and sleet and some snow. The winds will moderate during the afternoon. Max temperatures of 4 to 7degrees.
    I was planing to load to kids into the car tonight and drive around to relations to deliver presents... but reading this thread I think not..

Will be glued to the 09:30 forecast later tonight.....

and it looks like the ESB lads will be busy again tonight... lots of reported outages around Galway....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

Valentia Coast Guard Radio 18:39

Warning For Shannon, Storm Force 9 becoming Hurricane Force 12 soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭rilz

Ouch. The BBC 6 o'clock news weather report saying Southern England could get 70-80mph gust inland tonight. That would be bad for populated areas. Then tomorrow 70-80mph gusts further North then they even went to Fridays storm which looked really bad for Ireland and UK

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Pressure still falling locally at a steady, if slowing rate.

285780.PNG

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Certainly looks like the low to the south is taking dominance on latest satellite imagery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Deank

My PWS is currently reading 957.8 and dropping quickly, NW Kildare.

Here's today's graph.

Pressure_2%20231213.JPG

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement