Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Atlantic Storm Watch: December 2013

Options

Comments

Red Nissan wrote: »

brilliant thanks !!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭davehey79

Wi the midlands and Longford in particular be in the firing line for any strong winds or will we escape it. Leinster is quite big and sometimes we get lumped as northwest or west and would like to inform family as to whether to be alert to trees and debris from the wind as they live surrounded by a forestry

• Registered Users Posts: 16,842 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Aestivalis wrote: »
    I'm just stating what their website said in regards to wind in the midlands.

I know little to nothing about weather, but I hold an interest in it. Its just sometimes I find it hard to understand just what is going to happen in these threads, it gets really technical.

Coastal counties of the west and north west will experience the highest winds from this, which could gust between 70- 85mph. there might be isolated gusts higher than this in exposed locations( places where the wind encounters less friction on its path) in these regions.

peak gusts will likely be 50-60 mph everywhere else. to put it simply, the coastal counties of west and northwest will see the strongest winds.
    despite the near record low pressure value, this is probably not going to be a major nationwide storm.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭acassells80

Are the winds to get worse for Dublin in the next few hours or in the morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Are the winds to get worse for Dublin in the next few hours or in the morning?

Early morning.

• Advertisement

Coastal counties of the west and north west will experience the highest winds from this, which could gust between 70- 85mph. there might be isolated gusts higher than this in exposed locations( places where the wind encounters less friction on its path) in these regions.

peak gusts will likely be 50-60 mph everywhere else. to put it simply, the coastal counties of west and northwest will see the strongest winds.
    despite the near record low pressure value, this is probably not going to be a major nationwide storm.

If the ECM is right, then I think the southwest too could also see part of the strongest area of winds. The secondary depression is shown to be heading towards the west coast, that will squeeze the isobars inland as it crosses those counties west to east. This is a bit different from the usual wind event which feature lows off shore tracking past the northwest coast, which rarely bring strong winds far inland. Obviously the strongest winds will still be at coastal areas, but I think we could see a period of inland gales overnight too.

But it could also turn out to be weaker of course.

54942.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Catching up on the models runs there now and Friday has suddenly become the usual for the South with the low pressure after drifting North. Probably was going to happen anyways but was looking forward to the threat of some actual wind.

Guess if I want to experience a proper storm I need to relocate to somewhere in the North or West.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Is it safe to say that tonight/tomorrows storm wont be as bad as last weeks one for the NW? Max gusts seem rather average (for us storm hardened)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

John.Icy wrote: »
    Catching up on the models runs there now and Friday has suddenly become the usual for the South with the low pressure after drifting North. Probably was going to happen anyways but was looking forward to the threat of some actual wind.

Guess if I want to experience a proper storm I need to relocate to somewhere in the North or West.

Agree. 100/110 km/h gusts are nothing exceptional

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭Spring Onion

I am in West Galway and while the wind has picked up, it doesn't feel like a storm by any means. I know its early doors but it doesn't feel like this one will be any worse or menacing than the last storm. It's very mild too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Storm will be slightly worse than the last one in the W and NW in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

If the ECM is right, then I think the southwest too could also see part of the strongest area of winds. The secondary depression is shown to be heading towards the west coast, that will squeeze the isobars inland as it crosses those counties west to east. This is a bit different from the usual wind event which feature lows off shore tracking past the northwest coast, which rarely bring strong winds far inland. Obviously the strongest winds will still be at coastal areas, but I think we could see a period of inland gales overnight too.

But it could also turn out to be weaker of course.

54942.jpeg

Maq, at what time is this chart for? If this occurs, wouldn't you see a lull for a while in NW Mayo, Sligo, Donegal etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭acassells80

Early morning.

I'll go do the grocery shopping tonight so..thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭schween

Power went out for ten minutes in South Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,509 ✭✭✭irishgeo

wind picking up in mayo.

ill have to shoot out to tesco yet.

Maq, at what time is this chart for? If this occurs, wouldn't you see a lull for a while in NW Mayo, Sligo, Donegal etc?

I'm not sure what time it's from, some point between midnight and 3am? I don't have access to the source. I think the northwest coast would still be stormy, but at that particular time, that model is showing the strongest winds going for Galway/Clare/Kerry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

I reckon the storms arrived here in West Connemara, gusts are starting to get a little more impressive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭mucksavage1985

Wind picking up portarlington!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Don't be surprised if the hills are coated come the morning hours.
    This from the Euro 4 showing showers blown well in land on those gales.
    Whiteout condition at times in a precip mix but we'll be all sleeping except those going to work. Like me.

13122406_2312.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 16,842 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Redsunset wrote: »
    Don't be surprised if the hills are coated come the morning hours.
    This from the Euro 4 showing showers blown well in land on those gales.
    Whiteout condition at times in a precip mix but we'll be all sleeping except those going to work. Like me.

13122406_2312.gif

if there is a chance of blizzard conditions, I won't be sleeping:pac:
    i know the snow probably won't stick, but it will be good to see it blowing around.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

Just so people know and to put some meat on the technical stuff here,80kmph+ winds are plenty powerful enough to down trees,so will people please expect to worst when driving anywhere really in rural areas and obviously power cuts

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

Kinda rough here on the 8pm Inishmore from Holyhead but not the worst I've experienced. Think I'll be breaking out the ginger sweets soon all the same..

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭setanta1984

I'm in Liverpool at the moment, dry and calm enough here.
    My question, how does what is expected in Ireland tomorrow compare to the weather experienced last Friday (20th)? It seemed pretty bad, I flew out from Cork ok with delays, but I think all flights left eventually from there. Just wondering is that nothing compared to what's expected tomorrow.

I'm flying home from Manchester around 9pm tomorrow, really worried I'm going to be stuck here....

I may need to change the scale on this chart! :p

vws743.jpg

I'm flying home from Manchester around 9pm tomorrow, really worried I'm going to be stuck here....

This will all be over by 9pm tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

This will all be over by 9pm tomorrow.

Or earlier perhaps?

Or earlier perhaps?

Yep.

• Site Banned Posts: 53 ✭✭Cuddled

Or earlier perhaps?

Over already in Dublin if you ask me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Cuddled wrote: »
    Over already in Dublin if you ask me

Read the forecasted times posted by the experienced weather heads on here. Not even started yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

I'm in Bristol at the moment and it seems to be picking up a little

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement