Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Atlantic Storm Watch: December 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭F-Stop

Cuddled wrote: »
    Over already in Dublin if you ask me

Just like the way Christmas is over before it happens. I know, I know... It's all Santa's fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,445 ✭✭✭cml387

Very well defined squall line down the Irish sea at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,090 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

whitebriar wrote: »
    Just so people know and to put some meat on the technical stuff here,80kmph+ winds are plenty powerful enough to down trees,so will people please expect to worst when driving anywhere really in rural areas and obviously power cuts

agreed not looking forward to the drive to work tomorrow morning , it annoys me realy only in ireland would they call you into work just so they can tell you to go home again a couple of hours later :mad: for nothing!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

Just started in galway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Wind has started to pick up in Galway city

Current wind speed 36.0 mph Wind direction WSW
    Wind Speed (gust) 40.0 mph
    Wind speed (avg) 25.0 mph
    Barometric pressure is currently relatively steady at 960.70hp/a - new station record of 959.43 hp/a set earlier at 20.43pm

68674D35-4E9F-4710-B98E-B26790467FEA-3156-00000403043B6633_zps5c1c6986.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Neil_Sedaka

Wind really picking up here, by the sea in North Co. Dublin
    Pressure down to 965, although I'm not sure if that's totally accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭faktisperminute

very calm here nothing special

• Registered Users Posts: 24,190 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

-1 with those westerly gales? Where the flip did this system come from??

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭howlinwolf

Just watched good aul Gerry on rte weather stormy tonight on the west and then stormy tomorrow mornin on the east all with mixture of rain/sleet/snow could be a blizzard or just a bit windy with rain depending on where you are.... Should be an interesting night

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭faktisperminute

Larbre34 wrote: »
    -1 with those westerly gales? Where the flip did this system come from??

http://www.met.ie/latest/reports.asp

I don't see a single -1 reported anywhere ?

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 53 ✭✭Cuddled

John.Icy wrote: »
    Read the forecasted times posted by the experienced weather heads on here. Not even started yet.

We'll see

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭paulusdu

Wind has picked up here in east galway, rain started, still very mild, so there must be a big change coming if snow / sleet is forecast for later on

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Tae laidir

Latest 21:00 Met Éireann Report.
    Temp 10 deg Dublin stations & Johnsown Castle.
    Temp 5 deg Belmullet, Knock & Mace Head.
    Max Gust 59 Knots (109 kph) (Mace Head).
    No other stations over 50 Knots.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭howlinwolf

Cuddled wrote: »
    We'll see

You don't sound too impressed, at least give it a chance to get here before dismissing it, then ye can turn around tomorrow and say ' told ye so ' ha ha

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

very windy in east-clare now

• Registered Users Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭John mac

wind and rain starting here now. (mayo)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Temps will drop later and with sub zero dew points.
    Also just looking at the lower atmosphere thickness levels,They are well low come morning. In about 1290. Plenty of wet snow in showers I reckon.

13122406_2312.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Strangegravy

Starting to get really gusty here in east Limerick, seem like there's a bit more "kick" behind them compared to last couple of systems, but still early days yet.

the one observer who predicted that clare would avoid any bad wether........you were wrong...!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭aisling86

Starting to kick off in macroom now. Don't think I've heard the house rattle like this before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

the one observer who predicted that clare would avoid any bad wether........you were wrong...!!!
    Twas pretty bad advice anyway seen as Clare is mentioned in the thread title :O

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,501 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Starting to get wild here on the North Tipp - Limerick border.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭davidsr20

Anyone any idea when this is to peak tonight in Galway?
    Also why are we still only on a level 2 warning if it's ment to be so severe?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,190 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

http://www.met.ie/latest/reports.asp

I don't see a single -1 reported anywhere ?

Correct, im talking about Gerry Murphys predicted overnight lows in the midlands despite the winds

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭joegriffinjnr

Slight Wind in Santry. Nothing major though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

davidsr20 wrote: »
    Anyone any idea when this is to peak tonight in Galway?
    Also why are we still only on a level 2 warning if it's ment to be so severe?

This isn't going to be a storm of the century. It's an orange alert from Met Eireann, not a red alert. This won't be severe like Dec 1997. But it will have the potential to cause minor structural damage, bring down some trees/branches causing scattered power cuts and a risk of traffic accidents at a very busy time of year for travel. The addition of wintry showers mixed with the strong winds makes the driving conditions that bit more dangerous. It could also turn out to be not quite as bad as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Hitting 60 mph in gusts here in Galway now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

Nothing to note here in this area of West Mayo yet. (Normally living in Dundalk, but changed the location as I'm in the parent's house for Xmas).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭Spring Onion

Nothing to note here in this area of West Mayo yet. (Normally in Dundalk, but changed the location as I'm in the parent's house for Xmas).

I'll climb the reek with you if you're up for it. I can be there in 90 mins.

• Advertisement

This isn't going to be a storm of the century. It's an orange alert from Met Eireann, not a red alert. This won't be severe like Dec 1997. But it will have the potential to cause minor structural damage, bring down some trees/branches causing scattered power cuts and a risk of traffic accidents at a very busy time for year for travel. The addition of wintry showers mixed with the strong winds makes the driving conditions that bit more dangerous. It could also turn out to be not quite as bad as that.

interesting you mention 97 i remember the weeks before that storm the weather was equally mild if not too mild for the time of year, it got me thinking would we suffer the same again , at least we got some warning for this one

maybe its our fault here in clare for winning the all ireland on them two years? :eek:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement