Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Atlantic Storm Watch: December 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭brembo26

3.6°C Galway City and bits of hail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

A nice gathering by the fireside tonight...........

285834.jpg

Wind slowly picking up here. Nothing special yet. Some hail a while ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Pilots are amazing.

Pax prob sh!ttin themselves, as I would be, in fairness.

We don't know what's going on up in the pointy end of a plane, and they are too busy getting us onto dry land to tell us either.

So we do get a bit worried.!

Fair dues to all the crew getting them home safe for Christmas!

Last arrival for a while on final now http://www.flightradar24.com/EIN565

One due at 2am and then the heavies at 5am.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Wind howling here in Galway as more showers start to move in again...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭loubian

Danbo! wrote: »
    then the heavies at 5am.

Love hearing them come in

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,501 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Bit of a lull here now at the North Tipp - Limerick border. Was quite windy earlier, but calmish at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

A nice gathering by the fireside tonight...........

Wind slowly picking up here. Nothing special yet. Some hail a while ago.

LOL. Playing CIV V against my brother while checking back at this thread =P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Edit: 2am arrival cancelled, so that's it for the night, but well done for taking EIDW to the top http://www.liveatc.net/topfeeds.php

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

Im here all night , well till 2am at least heh heh

getting windy now and temp down to 2.1c

snow so marginal now what a tease.

sky completely clear and a minute ago you could have dropped a feather but now it would go over the wall

me dads fence blew down with wednesdays storm in castlebar
    me sisters trampoline blew five fields away in connemara

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

2am chart showing storm force winds should begin to reach the west coast around 4am.

3hr-wind.gif?0014

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

oh

netweather app on android has

rain/snow in north mayo heading to sligo

interesting

mountainy man will get at least a couple of inches

sligo man(me) will probably get white slushy grass and brief covering of wet snow on roads before a 9 or 10am melt

still think Sligo is going to get winds of at least 70knot

Max 75knots mace or malin

thought 85knot but i think that will be Friday but leaving that for now

If Im not here as may be drunk

Friday Winds of 85 knots are possible in the South but by the time its Friday id say 75knot will be the max again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

pauldry wrote: »
    Im here all night , well till 2am at least heh heh

getting windy now and temp down to 2.1c

snow so marginal now what a tease.

sky completely clear and a minute ago you could have dropped a feather but now it would go over the wall

me dads fence blew down with wednesdays storm in castlebar
    me sisters trampoline blew five fields away in connemara

Careful now. Things happen in threes.....

nuclear-bomb-house-o.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

Menacing
    WEB_sat_ir_irl_ico.jpg?0017

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Steopo

Splitting headache this evening & last week, wonder has it got anything to do with really low pressure ? (or maybe the excesses of Xmas :) ) Amazing the amount of rain UK are getting this evening compared to us www.raintoday.co.uk Winds could be damaging but at least the flood risks don't seem to be high for Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Steopo wrote: »
    Splitting headache this evening & last week, wonder has it got anything to do with really low pressure ? (or maybe the excesses of Xmas :) ) Amazing the amount of rain UK are getting this evening compared to us www.raintoday.co.uk Winds could be damaging but at least the flood risks don't seem to be high for Ireland

If you've blocked sinuses you could quite possibly get a pressure headache as gas trapped in your sinuses would expand as the pressure dropped but would have no where to escape to and that can be rather painful. You'd quite likely feel it around your forehead and cheeks, behind your nose and possibly even upper teeth.

Your ears will often pick up pressure changes very noticeably if your Eustachian tubes are blocked too (could be just a mild bit of a head-cold). You can suddenly have changes in hearing / popping. Some people even get tinnitus (perceived noise/interference generated by the inner ear itself).

You've a whole load of structures in your head that can act a bit like a barometer !

There's also a theory that joint pain during 'damp' weather is actually down to pressure changes that may be picked up in sacks of fluid that lubricate and encapsulate your joints. So, if there's a dramatic pressure drop, and you're particularly sensitive, you may feel achy. This may explain some old people (who may be a bit arthritic) going on about having a touch of 'the rheumatism' during damp weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

The the 12am readings are why i often don't take wind forecasts at face value, for me there is far too much emphasise on coastal location to wind speeds on models.

And 0z Obs testament to this, with 52kts @ Casement & 45kt @ Dublin AIR

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

Some devastating news the lamppost outside my house has just fused. What hell am I going to do now? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭touts

Wind very strong in South Tipp (Clonmel). It seems significantly stronger than the storm a few days ago. I think my neighbours fence just landed in his driveway. If this is to continue through the night I suspect many other "celtic tiger built with 7 years of rot" fences (mine included) will be down around the estate come daybreak.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

00.15 scan showing a rash of showers of rain and sleet ... and Dewpoints :)

285837.png

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

I'll never understand why the M6 buoy doesnt report at the same time every hour like other buoys and stations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭taytobreath

not bad here in Waterford city. a few gusts but nothing as bad as a few days ago.
    sorry for the vaguenees

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Edit: 2am arrival cancelled, so that's it for the night, but well done for taking EIDW to the top http://www.liveatc.net/topfeeds.php

I'm addicted to Flight Radar 24. I love going all over the world and seeing the destinations, some I have had to look up, never heard of em before!

And the added live ATC, bliss.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭stooge

From 9-12 here things seemed to be gaining speed but in the last 30mins it has calmed down to almost nothing. Very strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,926 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I love that site! Watching my cousins flight in to Shannon at the moment. Hopefully she'll land without any hassle.
    My sister's flight in to knock today saw them hanging in the air for 20 minutes before being able to land. Wind was rocking the car like a mofo so I knew they'd be delayed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭taytobreath

Mars Bar wrote: »
    I love that site! Watching my cousins flight in to Shannon at the moment. Hopefully she'll land without any hassle.
    My sister's flight in to knock today saw them hanging in the air for 20 minutes before being able to land. Wind was rocking the car like a mofo so I knew they'd be delayed.

do the passengers know they are in one of those patterns for a half hour even more?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Has the storm peaked at this stage? Or, is there more to come?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Steopo wrote: »

No idea about barometric pressure being a factor,

But I do know that an OTC anti histamine is amazing for the pressure headaches, and also, when you feel the first sign of a cold,

Works for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Mech1

some flights still approaching to land at Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭axe2grind

I'll never understand why the M6 buoy doesnt report at the same time every hour like other buoys and stations.
    Its much further away ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Mech1

you called it too early!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement