Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Atlantic Storm Watch: December 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭youreadthat

Seems to have died down at Heathrow, lots of planes taking off now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭squarecircles

only rough in castlebar though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Just did a 20min walk from centre of Donegal Town to home. Nothing out of the ordinary. Would call it slightly windy. No rain on walk home either and not what I would call too cold either.

No where near last Wednesday wind strength here .... yet ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

02.00 Highest gust Mace Head 69 knots 128km/h at the highest end of mets warning...already

irish1967 wrote: »
    Just did a 20min walk from centre of Donegal Town to home. Nothing out of the ordinary. Would call it slightly windy. No rain on walk home either and not what I would call too cold either.

No where near last Wednesday wind strength here .... yet ???

Give it a few more hours

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭noobsnow95

Any chance of accumulating snow in Limerick tonight?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 213 ✭✭rambojon

Ok west Clare very stormy now..I'n exposed area ..and quiet concerned to be honest... No sleep here..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭squarecircles

lights flickering in Mayo.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

jeeez its 69knotting in mace

i didnt think it would make 75 but it might yet only 40 in sligo yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭handbagmad

Fairly breezy here wat/kilkenny border wasn't expecting much round these parts to be honest

• Advertisement

3hr-wind.gif?0225

good on ya weathering better get the candles out. temp gone "up" to 1.4c

breezier

• Registered Users Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭dacogawa

M6 Buoy at 2am 952.9, gust 60kts & 10.1 Metre wave height!!! :eek:

Stay safe out there!

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭mountainy man

Highest gust 28.9 Mph so far and another snow shower. 0.3 C.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 213 ✭✭rambojon

Sounds incredibly stormy in west Clare now.. Any 1 any idea how any Kms it is..? By the way is the worst still to come according to that chart...?

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭gihj

noobsnow95 wrote: »
    Any chance of accumulating snow in Limerick tonight?

Maybe im jumpin the gun here but Limerick city has nothing out of the ordinary winter wind right now.i know its early but looks like a lot of "experts" on here were way wrong so far with the interpretations of the charts.Shame on those who doubted Met Eireann today out of jealousy no doubt.

Of course if armegeddon arrives later i retract the above scurillous remarks but it aint a bad night so far.

it looks very bad later on tonight perhaps 140kph as MT alluded to

I thought 75knot and maybe 70 in Sligo

So far Sligo has 44knots but increasing quickly (46 just there)

Mace has 69

gihj wrote: »
    Maybe im jumpin the gun here but Limerick city has nothing out of the ordinary winter wind right now.i know its early but looks like a lot of "experts" on here were way wrong so far with the interpretations of the charts.Shame on those who doubted Met Eireann today out of jealousy no doubt.

It's Limerick City, somebody probably robbed the wind! ;)

In all seriousness though I think the main forecasters on here will be proven right, as we can see starting to come up above you on the west coast

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭gihj

dacogawa wrote: »
    It's Limerick City, somebody probably robbed the wind! ;)

In all seriousness though I think the main forecasters on here will be proven right, as we can see starting to come up above you on the west coast

Well done on the stereotype.
    I read none of your opinion after that.

You ****ing ape.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭mountainy man

I case anyone doesnt know what a knot is (like me:o) here is a handy speed conversion chart someone posted on the forum a few years ago. I have to keep looking at this as knots are meaningless to me lol.

• Advertisement

You ****ing ape.

It was just a 'joke' after you had a 'joke' about the people on here who put a lot of time & hard work into reading the charts. Chill dude, it's Christmas :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,838 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Struggling to stay awake at this stage, i don't want to head off and miss out on whiteout conditions, although realistically that's more likely to happen on higher ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 oi softlad

You ****ing ape.

I'm sure some 'experts' will tell you he was been sarcastic. I've followed the weather thread for a long time and i can tell you these lads here are better at predicting weather outcomes 9 times out of 10 better than ME

• Closed Accounts Posts: 854 ✭✭✭dubscottie

Folks please be aware (and this is from my experience) that although the wind may not be bad at the the moment, the past few windy days have weakened branches on trees. (or even the whole tree)

Should there be snow these branches won't be able to take the weight of any snowfall and will come down so be careful if you are out driving, walking etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Faustino

It's really picking up in Dublin 4 (Sandymount) right now. Have some big trees in the back that are really starting to sway!

Faustino wrote: »
    It's really picking up in Dublin 4 (Sandymount) right now. Have some big trees in the back that are really starting to sway!

Yeah, there is some big gusts here now, the old house is starting to rattle a little bit & I've got to go to Ringsend to pick up a 20lbs turkey before lunch, at least it'll hold me down ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Faustino

It's still nowhere near the gusts we had on Friday.. but seeming as it's not due to hit until 6 or 7am it's looking promising for some chaos in the morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 20 aonchraic

On galway/clare border 15 km from coast and very calm outside for last half hour. Don't know if it's the clichéd calm before the storm or not, or if it's passed. Got taxi from ennis an hour ago and was very blustery with some decent hail/sleet showers but that's as much as I have felt. Was expecting a bit more!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

dacogawa wrote: »
    Yeah, there is some big gusts here now, the old house is starting to rattle a little bit & I've got to go to Ringsend to pick up a 20lbs turkey before lunch, at least it'll hold me down ;)

Good god, are you doing "feeding of the five thousand"? :D

• Advertisement

I case anyone doesnt know what a knot is (like me:o) here is a handy speed conversion chart someone posted on the forum a few years ago. I have to keep looking at this as knots are meaningless to me lol.

Or just round it up a bit and you have the miles per hour speed, it's not that far off. I doubt there's been many incidents where someone was like "60 knots!? Jesus I thought it was 60 miles per hour, I'm not prepared for this!".

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement