Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Atlantic Storm Watch: December 2013

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Snowing North Offaly. Strongest gust just reached of this spell. 32 knots. Almost enough to blow your Santa hat off. Almost.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,189 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Incoming flights for Dublin being diverted to Shannon now...

http://www.liveatc.net/flisten.php?mount=eidw3&icao=eidw

Thats a surprise, conditions are turbulent but the wind is steady from the SW, I would have thought landing on 28 in these circumstances would be cautious but routine, 40 kt gusts is hardly breaking any records.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Not just this year. From years of watching the models, the outcome/reality usually is a shift to the north.

And thank god for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,849 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Spare a though for people in the travel industry when you say this is a non event folks.

I'm in work at 1400 in the airport and with a 55KT crosswind gusts I'll be having a busy evening and my last flight isn't due out till 2355.

Great job by the regular posters on here, even with the best weather prediction equipment at my fingertips I still turn to this forum for information!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Friday is indeed still looking stormy on the models. But as we see this morning, the models don't always get these things right! Though in fairness Friday is a more straightforward low, less complex than the situation last night.

At the moment the GFS has the southwest most at risk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Gusts picking up here in Naas now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

Met office Chief forecaster assessment "An exceptionally deep low pressure system is passing to the northwest of the UK today bringing strong winds to many areas. However, the extent and strength of these is less than previously anticipated, and the area of the warning has been reduced. Winds will generally come down across England, Wales and Northern Ireland this afternoon, but not till later in the evening over much of Scotland"

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭shmaupel

It's funny how it panned out. But interesting all the same. Personally I'm delighted the winds didn't arrive as forecast even though I love a good storm. Sitting today with no esb would have been pretty miserable and I really do feel for any one in that boat today.

My barometer reached a low of 950 in tandem with the k4 buoy which would be local enough to me so I found that pretty cool.

Thanks to all who have been pouring over the charts all week. .. and all year!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Simon Gruber Says

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Thats a surprise, conditions are turbulent but the wind is steady from the SW, I would have thought landing on 28 in these circumstances would be cautious but routine, 40 kt gusts is hardly breaking any records.

Looks like it was an Aer Lingus Regional flight. Went missed approach, went into a hold and then broke off for Shannon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

Big snow flakes blowing in the wind now here in Offaly

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,501 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Tame enough night in Galway to be honest. Last week was worse.

Same here in North Tipp. The wind is actually much worse now than it was at any time of the night last night.

Some very strong gusts now and it is snowing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Wind is still getting stronger here though, If any precip can survive (doubt it, dissipating fast in the midlands) I say this low has one or two more gusts in it. And a bit of snow would be lovely to watch on Christmas eve.

131224_0000_78.png

Friday morning on the ECM.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Strangegravy

whitebriar wrote: »

My advice,keep reading here but recognise that there's a lot of playing to the gallery/hyperbole here too by virtue of the fact this place is a hub for weather nerds who by their nature love the power of weather events and some tend to pay more attention to the hope that events will be powerful.

In the outside world that's not normal.

I think the "weather nerds" on here, while maybe hoping for a more powerful event, are actually the ones who keep the "blow ins" ( ;) ) from getting too excited and over hyping something with out realising how changeable these situations can be.

Sometimes it's messier in here after an event/non-event with some of the comments, than it is outside in the real world! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

getting really windy and gusty here in cork city now.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭H2UMrsRobinson

I think the "weather nerds" on here, while maybe hoping for a more powerful event, are actually the ones who keep the "blow ins" ( ;) ) from getting too excited and over hyping something with out realising how changeable these situations can be.

Sometimes it's messier in here after an event/non-event with some of the comments, than it is outside in the real world! :p

yep to that. Whilst i'm no expert - I have been hovering around in the weather forum for a few years now - i don't post much i'm more of a lurker, but i have picked up some valuable info over the years

1. chances of downgrade 95-99%
    2. chances of upgrade 0.000000001%
    3. models lie all the time - the further away the time frame the bigger the lie
    4. you can't guarantee snow until the first flake hits the ground
    5. you can't guarantee it'll settle till it's at least 2" deep
    6. Never ever as long as you draw breath promise apocalyptic conditions to your fellow drinkers in the pub....you will be humiliated ! WITHOUT FAIL
    happy christmas all by the way xxxx

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭kingshankly

sparrowcar wrote: »
    Spare a though for people in the travel industry when you say this is a non event folks.

I'm in work at 1400 in the airport and with a 55KT crosswind gusts I'll be having a busy evening and my last flight isn't due out till 2355.

Great job by the regular posters on here, even with the best weather prediction equipment at my fingertips I still turn to this forum for information!

No need drove a train from Dundalk to dublin and back this morning not so much as a twig on the line thank god
    Also the Irish Sea looked very calm
    Delighted it wasn't as bad as expected (east coast)
    Hope everyone is safe and well and a merry xmas folks

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,501 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Wind dying down here now again and back to rain. Glad I am not driving home today!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Torrential rain here in Galway now with very strong wind, it is pitch dark here now

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

hotwhiskey wrote: »
    One of the worst blizzards I have experienced coming home from Cavan the visibility less than 100m in places. We are experiencing the strongest winds of this storm.

YOu know z rules !

PICTUREs OR ... GTFO!! :pac::D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Wine Goddess

Strong gusty winds and flying snowy pieces up here in Glengormley north of Belfast.....wind picking up in intensity now. Had brief snow showers about 8am but none lying.
    Kids very excited about snow even if it not lying worth it for their faces alone!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,838 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

SnowDrifts wrote: »
    A lot of systems coming in from the Atlantic have flopped or shifted north this year. Nearly at the stage where an allowance should be made for it when looking at the charts.

deep systems, even if their progged to track further south, usually end up going further norther closer to time. su campu had a name for this phenomenon, but i've forgotten what it was.
    as for last nights events, it looks like it was bad for some coastal regions due to wind field having effect in some places, but curiously not others.

the strange thing is someone was telling me last night,the secondary lows would mean the storm would not be as bad as forecasted in many regions of the west. i guess i didn't have the knowledge to challenge them, but it looks like they were right overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

Light snow and a bit breezy in Cookstown Co Tyrone.

Apparently it never got bad overnight but BBC News saying it will get worse in NI as the day progresses?

Unreal hail here now in Galway its so dark, unreal weather

I think what happened last night was the secondary low got absorbed into the main low faster than the models expected, so the energy wasnt there to bring the type of winds the models expected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

Nothing exceptional overnight here in West Mayo. 3 rumbles of thunder about 20 minutes ago. Great fun watching the models over the last couple of days. Expect to start pouring over them again from tomorrow night. Happy Christmas all.:).

Thunder and lightning here in Galway now

• Registered Users Posts: 16,838 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I think what happened last night was the secondary low got absorbed into the main low faster than the models expected, so the energy wasnt there to bring the type of winds the models expected.

that's what my uncle said would happen, but i was skeptical. i told him the main winds were just being delayed.:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭restingpilgrim

I am in Galway as well and it has not been a pleasant 24 hours at all. The wintry showers are here now. For all those people calling it a non event I suggest that they take a look at what has happened along either side of the English Channel and be grateful we did not get that weather here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭nerrad1983

hotwhiskey wrote: »
    One of the worst blizzards I have experienced coming home from Cavan the visibility less than 100m in places. We are experiencing the strongest winds of this storm.

Was just talking to the father and he said it is snowing heavy most of the morning up in Cavan Town, the wind is causing blizzards

I have to make my way up there from Wicklow later on

Hopefully it stays around for tomorrow, a white christmas would be great :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement