Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Atlantic Storm Watch: December 2013

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 secretagent

Just outside Blackpool Cork. Very windy and sleeting now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭compsys

I think the hype was really about the extreme atmospheric low being forecast, the speed at which it fell and the unusual nature of the weather patterns that created the excitement among weather enthusiasts.

The hype was created by people not reading the forum fully and assuming the weather for the UK was the same as ours.

ME and MT called it pretty well.

MT called for hurricane force winds at once stage. How was that calling it well?

Once again, ME's relatively conservative forecast was almost spot-on and the correct approach to take, of course they were lambasted by some on here at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Miss Stormyseas

Hail & thunder & lightning in Galway city, electricity flickered for a moment there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

compsys wrote: »
    MT called for hurricane force winds at once stage. How was that calling it well?

Once again, ME's relatively conservative forecast was almost spot-on and the correct approach to take, of course they were lambasted by some on here at the time.

He called for possible hurricane force gusts depending on what happened with the secondary low.
    Hurricane force is Force 12 which is also in excess of 64 knot wind.

Since Roches Point reported 60 knot gust yesterday, i think we can say he was pretty close.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭3fullback

Galways taking a hamnering at the moment !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

Few Aer Aranns struggling to land @ Dublin Air with 42knot crosswind

It was fun(!) landing on a ryanair flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Winds have really picked up here in Dundalk over the past 40 minutes, plenty of gusts of 60 - 70kph

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭youknowwho

Winds on the east cost have been ramping up over the last hour. A number of flights have had to delay their departure and aer lingus arrivals are now having to hold. Average gusts are 47knots.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

The Friday storm is quickly becoming the Stephen's night one as it's zipping across the atlantic quicker than first thought.
    Pubs wont be too impressed if the traditional Stephen's night is met with storm alerts and stay at home messages!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭sunbeam

Thunder and spectacular hail here in Achill now. Wasn't too bad overnight (by usual standards here) but electricity is gone for the past few hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Glebee

The Friday storm is quickly becoming the Stephen's night one as it's zipping across the atlantic quicker than first thought.
    Pubs wont be too impressed if the traditional Stephen's night is met with storm alerts and stay at home messages!

Hell or high water wont keep me from the pub on Stephens night..:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

This is how Thursday night/Friday morning is looking on the GFS at the moment. Keep in mind though that these things usually end up going further north the closer you get to the day.

54964.png
    54963.png

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Gusting 48kt (55mph, 89 km/hr)now at Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Lots of thunderstorms in Claregalway in the last hour and a half with strong gusts in showers and lights flickering but relatively calm in between. Haven't seen anything really wintery apart from a bit of hail. Bit of the roof torn off the shed last night so it must have been bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

compsys wrote: »
    MT called for hurricane force winds at once stage. How was that calling it well? .

Valentia Coast Guard Radio issued a warning to shipping sometime yesterday as to a Hurricane Force 12 winds imminent in the Shannon area.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Flights now in holding pattern in Irish Sea, would not like to be flying in to Dublin right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Red Nissan wrote: »
    Valentia Coast Guard Radio issued a warning to shipping sometime yesterday as to a Hurricane Force 12 winds imminent in the Shannon area.

The Met Office shipping forecast had a warning for Force 12 in northern Shannon area, thats were that came from. The models were showing it but it never happened in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

You know its windy when you have to run to stay the same speed as walking ! :)

Just back from the shops.. loving it. SHame to those who expected more , i personally think the regulars here all know that the storm is what had been expected to be .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

Has anyone taken pictures of the snow????? from around the country??:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

Met office have dropped NI from Friday wind warring bar the extreme Eastern coast. They are going for gusts of 60mp/h so pretty average

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,838 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Kippure wrote: »
    Has anyone taken pictures of the snow????? from around the country??:)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=88140906&postcount=2526

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

No storm in Donegal, squally hail and sleet showers with thunder but nothing more than a typical winters night/morning

• Registered Users Posts: 16,838 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Weathering wrote: »
    Met office have dropped NI from Friday wind warring bar the extreme Eastern coast. They are going for gusts of 60mp/h so pretty average

that could be because they see the best/worst of the wind being in the southern half of Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭manutd

Snowing in Cavan Town since 9:30 this morning, getting very heavy now in last 30 mins. Roads are bad and visibility is low. Snow is now sticking to the road surface.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

manutd wrote: »
    Snowing in Cavan Town since 9:30 this morning, getting very heavy now in last 30 mins. Roads are bad and visibility is low. Snow is now sticking to the road surface.

Pictures buddy Pictures :D:D:P

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Flights now in holding pattern in Irish Sea, would not like to be flying in to Dublin right now.

Pilots on ATC waiting for wind speed to reduce to attempt to land.

I know they have certain criteria re crosswinds and windspeed. They seem to be waiting a bit longer in the holding pattern. Wind speed 44 knots.

And no, I would NOT like to be up there right now as a pax. The pilots know what they are doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

that could be because they see the best/worst of the wind being in the southern half of Ireland

Who knows. Wind warning is for Irish Sea coastals area http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?tab=warnings&map=Warnings&zoom=5&lon=-3.50&lat=55.50&fcTime=1388102400&regionName=wl

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Rescue 115 Coastguard helicopter from Shannon lifted from Galway Hospital in hail and thunder, very brave people

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭horsefarm

I just passed An Post lorry on the M50 with the roof blown off. So the wind appeared in Dublin after all.
    The roof isn't tied down yet so drive with care. Between j12 and j13 going northbound

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭howlinwolf

I think for ' most ' the storm was a let down,but as stated by some they have had and are still having a very bad time of it , the models got it wrong lads not the people on hear. I think its also important to read the posts fully and carefully,esp from the more experienced posters as some people, me included, tend to home in on storm force/hurricane force wording in the post and not pay to much more attention to the finer details i.e. Where there will occur .... Anyway thanks to all who posted on this, I had a great time following it even if it didn't pan out quite like it should have ... Roll on Fridays storm/ non event ha ha

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement