Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Atlantic Storm Watch: December 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

I have just caught MY highest wind gust all month long, 52hm/h from my WS at the back of the house in a reasonably sheltered spot and 72km/h from my storm chaser mag mount on the roof of my van in the drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,152 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Serious lack of pictures on here, yet people claiming to have seen extraordinary things.
    Everyone has a camera on there fone...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

Serious lack of pictures on here, yet people claiming to have seen extraordinary things.

Wind is invisible...

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭howlinwolf

Think this thread has run its course. New one needed St Stephens day I imagine.

Still very windy in places, maybe let it run till this evening then on to st Stephens day setup imo

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

howlinwolf wrote: »
    Still very windy in places, maybe let it run till this evening then on to st Stephens day setup imo

its calm and even the odd sight of the sun through the clouds in galway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭Mech1

[IMG][/img]IMG_0547.jpg

Picture of the "ears" of the ATC feed. Looking a bit wobbly today though, hope it stays up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

howlinwolf wrote: »

Yep still very windy here in the NW, nothing spectacular but enough to cause disruption, I've seen a few power lines down and some minor damage locally. Squally showers are dangerous to be driving through as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

The Air Sea Rescue helicopter just flew directly overhead here about 10 mins ago heading inland near Arklow directly into the wind.
    it was going very slowly.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭shmaupel

Tactical wrote: »

Simples. Thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

Everyone has a camera on their phone...

Fixed that for you :) How do you take photos of high wind :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭davidsr20

degsie wrote: »

A302EFEF-220A-4FC5-A3E2-C4443283F53F.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭davidsr20

98A52FE3-7F91-483E-956B-092CD84CB0E8.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭atsbury

Took this photo this morning while out walking on the Wexford Coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,152 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

degsie wrote: »

Fixed that eh. I assure you it was a typo and I do know the difference.
    Sure you can take pictures of the effects of wind. Not the wind .
    The damage, the blizzards so on..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

That was a rubbish storm here in Connemara anyway, not a patch on the last day.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

No real change for Friday morning on the latest GFS.

06Z was 942mb, 12Z is 945mb. 12Z a little further south.

54972.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Storm was just average here in Galway this kind of weather were getting now reminds me of the winters in the 90s with storm after storm and lots of hail and thunderstorms ....
    Wonder will we get a more severe storm on friday ....the longer this weather pattern stays the more of a chance there will be a very damaging storm i suppose....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

Hooter23 wrote: »
    Storm was just average here in Galway this kind of weather were getting now reminds me of the winters in the 90s with storm after storm and lots of hail and thunderstorms ....
    Wonder will we get a more severe storm on friday ....the longer this weather pattern stays the more of a chance there will be a very damaging storm i suppose....

Shudder

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭howlinwolf

Met.ie are wording there outlook section fairly strongly ... Sorry can't copy text on the phone too handy , basically sayin up to 150kph gusts and western coastal areas taking a pounding from the sea, their words not mine , very different wording compared to last nights storm which they only put warnings for at the last minute although they seemed to get it spot on. Seems strange to put up such a strongly worded outlook given their track record For playing it safe and waiting till the last minute .... Would like to know what mt and maq and a few others make of the models and possible setup for Stephens night

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

There ya go
    Becoming stormy again St Stephen's night as gale force southerly winds and heavy rain sweep the country, some sleet or wet snow possible for a time on higher ground, but turning to rain and becoming mild. Winds veering southwest overnight with very severe and damaging gusts of 120 to 150km/hr likely in exposed places, some coastal flooding is possible with very high seas on Atlantic coasts
    Friday: Very stormy for much of Friday also, but especially so through the morning with the very severe and squally westerly winds continuing and very high seas pounding western coasts. Winds will moderate later in the afternoon and through the evening. Generally bright and showery, with some heavy rain and hail showers likely in many areas and daytime temperatures of 5 to 7 degrees.
    Cold and frosty on Friday night as winds continue to moderate, showers will continue in western and northern areas but generally die away further east.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Last night and Thursday/Friday are different kinds of setups. Last night we had a complex situation with a deep low up to our north and a secondary depression swinging around towards us that was being absorbed into the main low at the same time. The models thought that secondary low would bring some strong winds, but it failed to pack much of a punch in the end.

Thursday/Friday is a much more straightforward scenario : a large low deepening as it crosses the Atlantic, reaching peak strength close to Ireland.

At the moment the track has it pushing up from the southwest, so it could bring stronger winds and higher seas to southwest/south coasts than the more typical northwestern areas. But you often see these storm track a bit further north so that could change. On the other hand, if its a little weaker then it could track a bit further south.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Faustino

I think i've learned my lesson about getting caught up in all the exitement. Told too many people that we were in for a bad one today so have been getting lots of flak, all in good jest of course :)

Feel very sorry for our neighbors over in the UK as it looks like chaos in some parts so it's definitely a good thing we had nothing like that here.

I'll be taking note of Thursday night/Friday's event but i certainly won't be changing or altering plans because of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

No real change for Friday morning on the latest GFS.

06Z was 942mb, 12Z is 945mb. 12Z a little further south.

54972.png

Can we not start a Fresh thread for Fridays event? ... Thinks it be best :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Iancar29 wrote: »
    Can we not start a Fresh thread for Fridays event? ... Thinks it be best :)

I agree! Looks more interesting for the south west so far but all could change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

Some snow on top of Croagh Patrick earlier on today.

285907.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

The wind might not have been as strong as expected but the warnings were well merited for here in Donegal, we've been pounded by massive hail downpours and thunderstorms all day which combined with the wind had made for some terrible conditions. A lot of houses have been hit and had all their electrics and phone lines blown out, not what you want on Christmas Eve!

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭axe2grind

I don't!

Army phone, can play footy with it, but no camera

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭shmaupel

Harps wrote: »
    The wind might not have been as strong as expected but the warnings were well merited for here in Donegal, we've been pounded by massive hall downpours and thunderstorms all day which combined with the wind had made for some terrible conditions. A lot of houses have been hit and had all their electrics and phone lines blown out, not what you want on Christmas Eve!

I agree, it's vicious here in South Donegal all evening. Electricity is on and off like a yoyo the past hour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Was this storm the ramp of the year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Was this storm the ramp of the year

NOPE

I don't remember seeing any of the regulars ramping this , only showing some possible worse case scenarios from other than the 3 main models.

20,000 without power , numerous delays and diversions at D.A . Snow , hail and thunderstorms along with 65mph widespread gusts.
    Definitely a level 2 as we had it at .

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement