Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Third time's the charm...

Options
  • 11-12-2013 5:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Hello all,

I'm starting this training log on the advice of the wise sages at the A/R Christmas beers :D

I'm 32, female and have been running since I was a kid but only started running over 10km in the last year. I'm not a naturally talented athlete, but I'm determined :)

This time last year I signed up for my first marathon, Paris in April 2013. I started out well with my training but work took over in March and I ended up only training weekends. Not ideal. I made it around the course in 5.45 and was just happy to run it to the end.

Then I ran the Dublin marathon in October. Managed more training this time, but still usually only 3 days a week. I ran it in 5.15.

Now that I'm over the mental block of running long distances, I really want to see what times I can run if I give my marathon training 100% commitment.

I have considered doing a spring marathon but don't know if that leaves me enough time to achieve a better time. Otherwise, I'm open to training most of the year and focusing on an autumn marathon.

So what do you think? Where should I go from here?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

tattycoram wrote: »

So what do you think? Where should I go from here?

Beer mile :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Best of luck with it N. Determination will take you an awful long way if you're willing to put in the training in my opinion. I don't really have the knowledge to advise, but there are plenty on here that do. Listen to them and you won't go wrong ;).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

menoscemo wrote: »
    Beer mile :D

I think anyone who was out Saturday night has an unfair advantage as far as training is concerned so you're way ahead already :D

Great to meet you and best of luck with both training and log.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

I would give the spring marathon a miss and focus on your shorter distances, try and bring down your 5-10k times for 6 months and then consider an autumn marathon. The shorter distances will help bring your marathon time down. A good marathon generally requires more than 3 days a week training, I would say at least 5 so consider adding one day a week for now and try that for a month or so, then maybe think about adding a 5th day.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Cleanman

Yay! Welcome to the logs.

Since I know next to nothing about marathons, I won't advise you on what to do next although Pconn's last post makes a lot of sense.

Put the beer mile high on your list though. A solid beer mile sets you up well for every other type of challenge! :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 tattycoram

Looks like the beer mile is my first priority so...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

First priority, make Career Moves log your goto log, she has a degree in training slow, an MBA in racing faster and a PHD in General sound advice.

The novice thread and improves thread are also great sources of advice.

Then go out and run.

Nice to meet you on Saturday, I reckon you were one of the 1st there and the last to leave, a dark horse for the beer mile methinks.

Oh yeah, stop belittling your marathons, you're a real runner now for Gods sake, you've got a log!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Best of luck N with the log!! AMK hit the nail on the head there, those three threads are a great start for reference!

Looking forward to seeing some training! ;)

Got a little sidetracked by Christmas there...

Thanks for the advice. I'm taking it all on board.

Yesterday I was back in the runners for a nice mud-splattered 4 miles. Lovely.

bloody excuses already.............. :)

• Advertisement

What happened here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

blockic wrote: »
    What happened here?

There's more mileage being reported on my log!! :);)

digger2d2 wrote: »
    There's more mileage being reported on my log!! :);)

Just about i'd say!

best organize a night out, that'll get her back into it........

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

I'd agree with the poster who says, take a step back. Do a couple of 10k races or a Half. You don't HAVE to do marathons!

Best of luck whatever you decide.

Hah, didn't realise there was a search party out looking for me!

I'll draw a veil over my very lazy December and Jan. All back on track now.

Parkrun on Saturday in Raheny: 28.30
    Raheny 5 mile: 46.10 (Last year was 48:30)

Happy with both times considering lack of training.

Planning to run a half towards the end of April. Last few months have proved I need a goal to keep me motivated.

Well done. Now keep yourself posting!

Advertisement