Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

555 timer ic

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

I am doing a project in college, we built this signal generator and are doing a write up.

Can anybody tell me what the function of the 555 timer ic is in this?

Below is the signal generator we built.
    http://www.vellemanusa.com/products/view/?country=us&lang=enu&id=350680

I'm not sure if that's better suited to the Electrics forum ?

I've only briefly read a beginners book on electronics before and think the 555 timer can be programmed to trigger a signal/switch every X milliseconds.

For a signal generator that would probably control the frequency of the signal.
    So if it was set to turn on an output pin 20,000 times a second and you wired it to a speaker, the speaker would emit a sound at 20khz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

Have a look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/555_timer_IC

The 555 in your signal generator will be functioning in astable mode, and basically outputs a low voltage continuous stream of rectangular pulses at a frequency set by the resistor (x2) and capacitor(x1) values.

In your signal generator, one of these resisters will be a variable resistor which will increase / decrease the frequency of the pulse.

The signal generator will also contain an amplifier which will increase / decrease the amplitude of the pulse.

It probably also has one or more filters to adjust the shape of the pulse.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 techintraining

Cheers :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Along with the humble 741, the 555 is probably the most useful IC around from an analogue point of view. Always have a few of them in my components drawers.

Ken

Advertisement