Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canada to phase out door to door delivered post[Merged]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Didn't see the court order in the mail, sure I'd no time to go to the post office.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    Canada have started to phase out delivery of post door to door. Instead, post will be delivered to a Community post box, for people to collect their own post at a time to suit themselves.

Is this forward thinking, or a recipe for disaster? I think the potential for vandalism is high, as well as rubbish accumulation, with all the spam mail that will no doubt be discarded.

http://http://www.breakingnews.ie/world/canada-phases-out-post-delivery-to-the-door-616900.html

The country is so huge and spread out it's probably a good idea for Canada. In many parts of Canada when your dog runs away you can still see him the next day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

We had this when living in Whistler, BC a few years ago. At the front of the estate was a sheltered locker area. You applied for a key through the local post office.. Was good as the locker was large enough for the post man to put packages and small boxes in..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

This is common all over the US. Apartment complexes could have several hundred apartments and duplexes, so they have central lockers outside the buildings, usually near the parking area for each building.They were never vandalised but did suffer the blight og excessive junk mail.
    regards
    Stovepipe

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Sure they do that in apartment buildings here in Ireland too. We just don't have very many of them.

I do think though that you should be required to have a mailbox on your pillar / gate.

It would also help if people were required to put a house number on that mailbox. So, at least there'd be fewer mix ups and new postal workers wouldn't be completely at a loss as to where "SnootyVille House", Rathgar, Dublin 6X is.

It's ridiculous expecting the postman to walk all the way up to the hall door past vicious dogs and all that stuff and then to have to bend down to the mailbox you've carefully positioned in the most awkward location possible (bottom of the door).

If An Post simply required you to have a mailbox on the boundary of your property (as is the norm in a lot of other countries), the postman's route wouldn't take as long and he/she would have a much less arduous job!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

they sell milk in bags in canada
    what works there has no guarantee of working anywhere else

they're a weird, beautiful people

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

they sell milk in bags in canada
    what works there has no guarantee of working anywhere else

they're a weird, beautiful people

I miss those bags of milk.

They were delicious.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

DrumSteve wrote: »
    I miss those bags of milk.

They were delicious.

i dont know if it was the novelty, the weed or actual superior milk.. but yeah it was delicious

I remember buying milk bags in northern Spain too and they were the most ridiculously impractical yokes I've ever used!

Tetrapak is FAR superior and it also protects the milk from light damage (impacts on the taste)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,426 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

i dont know if it was the novelty, the weed or actual superior milk.. but yeah it was delicious

And nutritious I hope.

For me it was all three.
    SpaceTime wrote: »
    I remember buying milk bags in northern Spain too and they were the most ridiculously impractical yokes I've ever used!

Tetrapak is FAR superior and it also protects the milk from light damage (impacts on the taste)

You.. just... don't... get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,986 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Bags in Poland too. Fun but impractical:

http://www.sp35.tychy.edu.pl/galeria12/zywienie/lek3a.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

We had this when living in Whistler, BC a few years ago. At the front of the estate was a sheltered locker area. You applied for a key through the local post office.. Was good as the locker was large enough for the post man to put packages and small boxes in..

Was it a locker just for you, or for everyone within a certain distance? When you opened the locker, did you sort through all your neighbours' mail to find your own?

Bags in Poland too. Fun but impractical:

http://www.sp35.tychy.edu.pl/galeria12/zywienie/lek3a.jpg

Looks more like it's just some dairy that's too cheap to use proper packs!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭OU812

It would be better all round if we mandatorily went digital for all official communications (with an opt out for those without Internet connectivity).

All bills, court details, all government communications, anything official.

Onus is on the user to prove they didn't access something because digital time stamps would prove otherwise. Could also open the door for online voting etc.

Also, I kinda wanna try some of that bagmilk now. Thinking it may feel sorta boobish to hold...

The judge should just put a message on your Facebook like anyone else does if you're up for a court appearance :D

Accept Friend Request from "The Dublin Circuit Court" ??

For me it was all three.

You.. just... don't... get it.

He wasn't there maan

kneemos wrote: »
    He wasn't there maan

Seriously, those bags of milk are second behind Poutine in Canadian delicassies I like.

Poutine is sooooo ****in good.

Looks more like it's just some dairy that's too cheap to use proper packs!

What do you do with it when it's opened?

• Advertisement

kneemos wrote: »
    What do you do with it when it's opened?

It goes inside a plastic reusable jug.

And then on me lucky charms.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Seriously, those bags of milk are second behind Poutine in Canadian delicassies I like.

Poutine is sooooo ****in good.

Poutine looks so unappetising though. Really off

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    Poutine looks so unappetising though. Really off

It's very.... moreish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

Thoie wrote: »
    Was it a locker just for you, or for everyone within a certain distance? When you opened the locker, did you sort through all your neighbours' mail to find your own?

No each house had their own locker.. about the size of a parcel motel locker..

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

My postmans an utter c**t and this would just give him more scope for utter c***tishness

seriously he once walked up to my door and without knocking once shoved in the dreaded delivery note stating "you were'nt here when we called so please trek out our depot that in the arse end of an industrial estate in the arse end of nowhere to collect your package". I was actually waiting for the bollix and opened the door on him as he was doing it. lazy c**t just didnt want to carry the package from his van.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Sure they do that in apartment buildings here in Ireland too. We just don't have very many of them.

I do think though that you should be required to have a mailbox on your pillar / gate.

It would also help if people were required to put a house number on that mailbox. So, at least there'd be fewer mix ups and new postal workers wouldn't be completely at a loss as to where "SnootyVille House", Rathgar, Dublin 6X is.

It's ridiculous expecting the postman to walk all the way up to the hall door past vicious dogs and all that stuff and then to have to bend down to the mailbox you've carefully positioned in the most awkward location possible (bottom of the door).

If An Post simply required you to have a mailbox on the boundary of your property (as is the norm in a lot of other countries), the postman's route wouldn't take as long and he/she would have a much less arduous job!
    In France people have their names on the boxes too, there's no need to turn the postman's job into a series of bizarre riddles. Really, if you can't be bothered to put up a postbox at your gate they should just throw the letters in the ditch

goose2005 wrote: »
    In France people have their names on the boxes too, there's no need to turn the postman's job into a series of bizarre riddles. Really, if you can't be bothered to put up a postbox at your gate they should just throw the letters in the ditch

Just as long as it doesn't get to the levels of craziness in Belgium where the police check that you have got your name on the doorbell and that you actually live there once you've registered at the town hall.

Failure to declare oneself can result in being fined.

I'd be happy enough if people just put their house number up!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭SPDUB

An Post actually do want Mailboxes but Comreg , the Postal regulator won't allow it .

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-25340301
    Canada Post will phase out home delivery in urban areas over the next five years as the postal service struggles to rein in persistent losses.
    Under a five-year plan released on Wednesday, the cost of stamps will also rise and as many as 8,000 jobs will be eliminated.
    But the agency says it will also open more retail locations across Canada.
    The service faces a projected 1bn Canadian dollar ($943m; £576m) loss by 2020 without "fundamental changes".
    Canada Post lost C$73m in the third quarter of the current fiscal year, CBC News reported.

How would you feel if An Post stopped home deliveries and you had to go to the post office to pick up your mail.

Could be a real pain for many people, of an excuse to avoid receiving bills! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

US Postal service to follow! I pay 90% of my bill things online.

Advertisement