Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canada to phase out door to door delivered post[Merged]

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

SPDUB wrote: »
    An Post actually do want Mailboxes but Comreg , the Postal regulator won't allow it .

They should just pursue it under Health and Safety regulations. It's nuts expecting postmen/women to walk into properties where there may be dogs and also expecting people to bend down to put mail into low-down mailboxes is totally unfair.

I don't understand why their unions aren't up in arms about it. It's the kind of thing that unions should be going after rather than some of the more frivolous stuff which seems to be all about protecting upper / middle management salaries.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,978 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Considering that my main bills are now all electronic, and the only "snail mail" I get these days is either (a) advertising or (b) Revenue letters, the answer is: "not a problem".

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

SpaceTime wrote: »
    They should just pursue it under Health and Safety regulations. It's nuts expecting postmen/women to walk into properties where there may be dogs and also expecting people to bend down to put mail into low-down mailboxes is totally unfair.

I don't understand why their unions aren't up in arms about it. It's the kind of thing that unions should be going after rather than some of the more frivolous stuff which seems to be all about protecting upper / middle management salaries.

Ignoring packages (which are a whooolllle other story), I suspect post office workers have fewer letters than ever to deliver, so if they didn't complain back in the 80s (which is when health and safety consciousness really started), why would they complain now?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Bambi wrote: »
    My postmans an utter c**t and this would just give him more scope for utter c***tishness

seriously he once walked up to my door and without knocking once shoved in the dreaded delivery note stating "you were'nt here when we called so please trek out our depot that in the arse end of an industrial estate in the arse end of nowhere to collect your package". I was actually waiting for the bollix and opened the door on him as he was doing it. lazy c**t just didnt want to carry the package from his van.

Try being nice to him/her , may improve delivery

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

you shouldn't have to be nice to people to get them to do what they're paid to do

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

you shouldn't have to be nice to people to get them to do what they're paid to do

yes but if you are nice, they will make the extra effort, also it is called manners

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭SPDUB

SpaceTime wrote: »

It's a bit of a double edged sword for the Union since if boxes are installed the company will say it cuts down on delivery time to each dwelling so each individual postman can be given more houses and therefore less employees would be needed per delivery office

As for low level issue they are against building regulations since 2000 and if anyone installs one now An Post can deem tham as having no delivery point and not deliver to them .

They have to deliver to pre 2000 ones though but they are taken into account when planning routes

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

yes but if you are nice, they will make the extra effort, also it is called manners

delivering the post is not 'extra effort' for a postman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

Soon everything will be delivered by drones. Might as well shut down an post now and be done with it.

Enda will then be able to collect his brownie points for being first in Europe to shutdown the national postal service

• Site Banned Posts: 263 ✭✭Rabelais

The Brits realised the importance of developing a postal service. I'd love to see an economic study on its influence on how we came to be what we are. Extremely important at a social and market level. Becoming obsolete though. We communicate online; we become comfortable with services that once involved filling out forms; we actively shop online for services that rely on getting rid of a paper delivery change.

A method of delivering physical products to the home in an efficient way is still ripe for opportunity. It won't be a system based on a Victorian methodology though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I never had any dealings with the prick until he started taking liberties with my property and hes notorious for it

be nice to him? he's lucky he has'nt had the lungs kicked outta him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,221 ✭✭✭NuckingFacker

What's all this aboout?

Advertisement