Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broken Ipad

Options
  • 11-12-2013 6:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I got an ipad mini in February and last month it just stopped working so I brought it back to HN where it was bought and they sent it to mactiviate who then told us the ipad was non repairable and we would get a "new" one.
    My wife went to mactivate today and they gave her out an ipad in like a little sack thing not in the box like a new one and just our old charger back.
    My wife then asked was it a "new" ipad or a "recon" unit to which they replied "we dont know it just came from apple"
    I am aware of the 3 R`s
    Repair
    Refund
    Replace
    and as our ipad was beyond repair I expected a new one in the box not something in a little sack not knowing if it is new or a recon unit.
    What do you guys think ? Is this acceptable ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Big Davey

Big Davey wrote: »
    Hi,
    I got an ipad mini in February and last month it just stopped working so I brought it back to HN where it was bought and they sent it to mactiviate who then told us the ipad was non repairable and we would get a "new" one.
    My wife went to mactivate today and they gave her out an ipad in like a little sack thing not in the box like a new one and just our old charger back.
    My wife then asked was it a "new" ipad or a "recon" unit to which they replied "we dont know it just came from apple"
    I am aware of the 3 R`s
    Repair
    Refund
    Replace
    and as our ipad was beyond repair I expected a new one in the box not something in a little sack not knowing if it is new or a recon unit.
    What do you guys think ? Is this acceptable ?

Wrong section ????????????????????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭jellyboy

No,if it was me I would be asking for the reference number in dealing with apple that they used

Or ring them yourselves ..

Apple as far as I'm aware post direct to your door and not second party's .
    Plus they ring to check etc etc

They certainly don't give products back in bags with chargers ,it's all or nothing with the apple folk ..

Bring back to shop and ask for the refund ...

D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Wrong section ????????????????????
    More a consumer issue so moved to the Consumer Issues forum!

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭TheBoffin

The bottom line is they provided remedy by giving you a functional unit. How they achieved that is not relevant as long as it is the same quality, model, value etc.

TheBoffin wrote: »
    The bottom line is they provided remedy by giving you a functional unit. How they achieved that is not relevant as long as it is the same quality, model, value etc.

I dont quite agree.....
    The law is as I understand it
    Repair (they did not repair)
    Refund (they did not refund)
    Replace(they did not replace with a new unit)

If you bought a kettle and it broke after 7 months would you accept a refurbished kettle ??????
    I would expect a new one in a box.
    I may have to take a trip to the small claims court ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

I dont quite agree.....
    The law is as I understand it
    Repair (they did not repair)
    Refund (they did not refund)
    Replace(they did not replace with a new unit)

If you bought a kettle and it broke after 7 months would you accept a refurbished kettle ??????
    I would expect a new one in a box.
    I may have to take a trip to the small claims court ?

Most people would prefer a new item but the law doesn't specify the replacement must be new or even identical but it does say it must be equivalent.

However if you're claiming under warranty and the warranty states any replacement will be a new item then that is legally binding. If your warranty states a refurbished unit is enough then that's binding too.

slimjimmc wrote: »
    Most people would prefer a new item but the law doesn't specify the replacement must be new or even identical but it does say it must be equivalent.

Ok appreciate the advice is that a "fact" or an "opinion" ?
    Thanks

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Mactivate are an authorised apple repair centre, so apple sending stock to them in relation to a case would not be abnormal

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭airbus125

when my iPhone broke and was out of warranty, apple gave me a new one for $100 in boston and it came in a little bag. the box the didn't break so why would u expect to get a new one, its costs money to make the boxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,914 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Apple refurbs are AMAZING. Stop being picky - you have a 100% perfect replacement device.

• Advertisement

Cabaal wrote: »
    Mactivate are an authorised apple repair centre, so apple sending stock to them in relation to a case would not be abnormal
    I understand that but it just seemed strange in a little bag ? and not in a box ?

airbus125 wrote: »
    when my iPhone broke and was out of warranty, apple gave me a new one for $100 in boston and it came in a little bag. the box the didn't break so why would u expect to get a new one, its costs money to make the boxes.
    fair point I suppose.........

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Thanks

This might be the relevant bit.
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1980/en/act/pub/0016/sec0021.html#sec21.
    The requirement of any remedy is that it corrects the situation where you have a defective item.

The NCA says
    Replacement
    If you opt for a replacement, it should be the same as the item you bought, or of similar quality and price.

You should not have to pay extra for a replacement and should be given the difference in price if the replacement costs less than the item you originally bought.
    http://www.consumerhelp.ie/faulty-goods

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Thanks

It is generally accepted that you will be compensated to equal value. You had an iPad that is nearly a year old, so a recon or replacement unit is not shortchanging you.

If you have any questions, I'd be getting in touch with Mactivate and/or Apple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

slimjimmc wrote: »

However if you're claiming under warranty and the warranty states any replacement will be a new item then that is legally binding. If your warranty states a refurbished unit is enough then that's binding too.
    I would normally agree but when so many shops and manufacturers get picky about storage media and returns I would refuse to accept and item with storage media which had been used by anyone else
    dudara wrote: »
    It is generally accepted that you will be compensated to equal value. You had an iPad that is nearly a year old, so a recon or replacement unit is not shortchanging you.

If you have any questions, I'd be getting in touch with Mactivate and/or Apple.
    How old is the replacement though? it could be three years old or could have been very badly treated by its previous owner and ready to give up the ghost and how can the customer know or check? especially with storage media and batteries and glass screens and digitizers it is hard to rely on information from a manufacturer or their agent who have vested interests.

This is Apple we are taking about. The refurbs come back from the factory. Seriously, they are as new. Some even are new - check the serial number to get the date of manufacture.

If the OP got this in a white box he would not know the difference. Just being picky because it was in a bag.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

JDxtra wrote: »
    Apple refurbs are AMAZING. Stop being picky - you have a 100% perfect replacement device.

Agreed,
    Nothing wrong with Apple referbs, infact I have a referbed iMac and can't fault it in anyway.

Cost 400e less then the non-referb model and you would never know the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Agreed, I have a refurb ipad 2 that I have had for over a year, got it after a bargain alert on here, fantastic quality, I would be more than happy to buy a refurb again and probably will do so when I am upgrading.

foggy_lad wrote: »
    How old is the replacement though? it could be three years old or could have been very badly treated by its previous owner and ready to give up the ghost and how can the customer know or check? especially with storage media and batteries and glass screens and digitizers it is hard to rely on information from a manufacturer or their agent who have vested interests.

http://store.apple.com/ie/browse/home/specialdeals
    Before we put a refurbished Mac, iPod, iPad or Apple TV up for sale in Special Deals, it undergoes a rigorous refurbishment process to make sure it’s up to Apple’s tough quality standards. We back it with our standard one-year limited warranty. And you have the option of purchasing an AppleCare Protection Plan for it.

Referb models have to pass specific guidelines, they don't just send out any old tat.

In fairness foggy you're being pretty paranoid about this stuff, you could easily apply your logic to new products and be paranoid about apple selling off second hand stuff as new. After all how would you know....with its vested interests and all.
    :rolleyes:
    Each Apple Certified Refurbished Product: Each Apple Certified Refurbished Product:

is fully tested (including full burn-in testing).
    is refurbished with replacement parts for any defective modules identified in testing.
    is put through a thorough cleaning process and inspection.
    is repackaged (including appropriate manuals, cables, etc.). (doesn't apply in ops case as they weren't selling the referb model,)
    includes the operating software originally shipped with the unit and the custom software offered with that system. See each products "Learn More" for more details.
    is given a new refurbished part number and serial number.
    is placed into a Final QA inspection prior to being added to sellable refurbished stock.
    is repacked in special packaging (including appropriate manuals, cables, etc. that originally shipped with the unit). (doesn't apply in ops case as they weren't selling the referb model,)

Refurbishment procedures follow the same basic technical guidelines as Apple's Finished Goods testing procedures.

I'm using a referbed 27" iMac and I know of numerous other people with referbed models, there's nothing wrong with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭WildCardDoW

but when so many shops and manufacturers get picky about storage media and returns

Returns are different. A replacement is a replacement whether it's brand new or a refurbished model. Sony have been doing this for yonks with consoles, in some cases it makes dealing with the retailer easier since they don't have to worry about getting caught out for stock loss if it turns out the item wasn't faulty (or the consumer actually broke it themselves!)

• Advertisement

This is Apple we are taking about. The refurbs come back from the factory. Seriously, they are as new. Some even are new - check the serial number to get the date of manufacture.

If the OP got this in a white box he would not know the difference. Just being picky because it was in a bag.
    Do you think I am being picky ? Just wondering :-)

foggy_lad wrote: »
    I would normally agree but when so many shops and manufacturers get picky about storage media and returns I would refuse to accept and item with storage media which had been used by anyone else

I had not thought about it from this point of view but it is interesting ! If I buy a camera from Argos they will not take it back because there could be photos left on it or something correct ? What if the person who had the model before it was refurbed was a paedo or something and there was evidence left on the ipad ? I have a friend who is an IT wiz so I will run it past him. I have not turned on the unit yet as I have not fully decided if I am keeping it. Im picky like that.

Yes, you are picky. Too picky - there is no issue to even be picky about here.

Apple are not stupid. There is zero chance of any data being recoverable on that device.

Do as I said - check the serial number online. You may even have a new device, minus the packaging.

Yes, you are picky. Too picky - there is no issue to even be picky about here.

Apple are not stupid. There is zero chance of any data being recoverable on that device.

Do as I said - check the serial number online. You may even have a new device, minus the packaging.

Any chance of a link ? I dont know where to check as I am not very up on technology to be honest.

Put the last 3 or 4 digits of the serial number into here:

http://www.everymac.com/ultimate-mac-lookup/?search_keywords=ipad

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

If it's an Apple refurb, then it basically is new. They replace the screen, housing, battery and everything is as new. It will be wiped and tested more than a new device.

The issue here, is if this is indeed an Apple refurb or is it just one that Mactivate did something with themselves. If it's an Apple refurb, then you basically have a new device. Keep it.

I'm like a broken record, but never never deal with a 3rd party if your device is under Apple warranty. Apple will collect your device and replace it if you phone them. And your certain it is a top notch Apple refurb.

I'm like a broken record, but never never deal with a 3rd party if your device is under Apple warranty. Apple will collect your device and replace it if you phone them. And your certain it is a top notch Apple refurb.

As I've said before, Mactivate are an authorized repairer for Apple,

Even if you ring Apple, odds are for the repair work they'll ask you to bring it to Mactivate or any one of the authorized places in Ireland or mactivate will collect the item from your home.

I'm speaking from experience on this, hell ring Apple and they'll also explain what happens.

If the op is concerned that the referb didn't come from Apple then its very easy to confirm this by calling Apple directly and querying who provided it,

I am just going to keep it will check the serial number later. HN sent me to mactivate as that's who they use the guys were sound I just did not like when my wife asked was the iPad a new one the guy said he did not know. I kind of expected when I heard mine could not be fixed that I would go to HN and get handed a new one in the box but that's obviously how it works . Thanks all.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Cabaal wrote: »
    As I've said before, Mactivate are an authorized repairer for Apple,

Even if you ring Apple, odds are for the repair work they'll ask you to bring it to Mactivate or any one of the authorized places in Ireland or mactivate will collect the item from your home.

I'm speaking from experience on this, hell ring Apple and they'll also explain what happens.

If the op is concerned that the referb didn't come from Apple then its very easy to confirm this by calling Apple directly and querying who provided it,

Not for iPads. They send a UPS box like they do for iPhones. I have a relative working for Applecare and I've sent back a few iPads over the years. If you arrange iPad service through Apple they handle it. To say they would tell you to take it to an authorised reseller is just not the case.

http://support.apple.com/kb/index?page=servicefaq&geo=Ireland&product=ipad

You can bring it to an authorised service centre if you wish but for iPads you can do it all through Apple directly.

• Advertisement

We handed it into HN swords and they gave it to mactivate we then collected it at mactivate who HN say are THE authorized repair centre. I have turned on the iPad now so will probably just stick with it.

Not for iPads. They send a UPS box like they do for iPhones. I have a relative working for Applecare and I've sent back a few iPads over the years. If you arrange iPad service through Apple they handle it. To say they would tell you to take it to an authorised reseller is just not the case.

http://support.apple.com/kb/index?page=servicefaq&geo=Ireland&product=ipad

You can bring it to an authorised service centre if you wish but for iPads you can do it all through Apple directly.

Advertisement