Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jelly molds

Options
  • 11-12-2013 6:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭

Does this count as bakes?
    Anyhoo..I got one of those gummi bear type jelly molds. It takes about 1 and 1/4 pints of liquid so I melted two packs of jelly for it and am waiting for it to set. Not sure if this was enough to make it a more sturdy jelly. Need it to be a little more solid than regular jelly. I saw a recipe on youtube using powdered gelatine but it needs a load and I figured regular jelly might be easier? Will know by tomorrow. But has anyone tried these molds already and if so what type of jelly or recipe did you use?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭phormium

That should be plenty, two packs would set 2 pints of liquid so using 1 1/4 will give you quite a firm set. I used these years ago, never bothered adjusting the liquid just made it according to instructions, it splays out a little when you take it out of mould but to get it hard enough not to do that would make it a bit firm to be tasty imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I have been making jelly moulds a good bit the last few weeks. It depends on the height of the mould. I have quite a tall one, and it takes 3 litres of jelly. I make the mix up to about 60% of the water on the chivers packet of jelly for that one to stay set when unmoulded. It is still very wobbly at that. Could easily take 50% I reckon. Low ones need less. You're at about 62% there, so roughly the same as me.

If i am setting something like a fruit juice rather than using packets, then i use gelatine sheets. 1 sheet per 100ml of liquid is the ratio I go for there.

Powdered gelatine doesn't work as well as the sheets in my experience.

Oh, and easiest way to get the mould out, is to sit the mould in hot water for a few seconds before turning it upside down on a plate. Use something with a lip, the outer layer will melt to liquid, which coats the floor otherwise! ( yes, I did it)

Also, jelly will stick to plate, so if you want to move it about after unmoulding, wet the plate first. It won't stick to wet plate and you can shimmy it a bit then.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I'd love to see a photo :)

Advertisement