Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public Service Pension Question

Options
  • 11-12-2013 6:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi there
    We have been trying to figure this out for many a month now, and I have searched through this site as well as google and followed many a thread to try to get an answer that is specific to my case and is in language that I understand, but to no avail. So, new thread!

My case is as follows:
    I retired at 62 after 19 years in the public service. I had paid higher level of PRSI all of that time as well as contributing to super annuation. When I reach 66 I expected to receive both the Contributory Old Age Pension (or the percentage of it that I was entitled to after my contributions) as well as the separate Public Service Pension that I contributed to.

So: COAP + PSP = My Pension

However, I have since been informed that when I reach 66, the payment of the PSP will be reduced from the full figure, as they will take into account that I am receiving a COAP.

So I will receive: COAP + (PSP - x)
    where 'x' is an amount subtracted from the full PSP based on some calculation.

I simply cannot understand, nor can I find anything on the multitude of sites that I have browsed, why I am being penalised for having paid into both pension pots so to speak? I paid into Pot A with my PRSI and I paid into Pot B with my pension contributions so surely I should be entitled to receive from both pots.

If I had worked in the private sector, paid into Pot A with my PRSI contributions and then paid into Pot B for a private pension, I would receive both the COAP and whatever I got from my contributions to Pot B.

I would appreciate any explanations you have for me, and while I appreciate any responses please do not direct me to look on welfare.ie or cspensions.gov.ie etc. as I have been through them all. I do not wish to appear ungrateful but I am pulling my hair out browsing through all ends of these and other websites and I still do not understand it.

Thanks in advance
    OB

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Moved from state benefits,might be more knowledgeable types here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

I always though that public service workers did not receive the contributory old age pension ?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,437 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

If I had worked in the private sector, paid into Pot A with my PRSI contributions and then paid into Pot B for a private pension, I would receive both the COAP and whatever I got from my contributions to Pot B.

Not necessarily, at least not in the way you imagine. In a lot of private defined benefit pension schemes there is a linkage (known as 'integration') whereby the state pension (when it becomes payable) is deducted from the pension paid by the employer's scheme. The aim is that the retiree will get a total benefit which includes the state pension.

Download the first booklet ('How does my pension scheme work' - PDF file) at this link and read Section 7 'Integration with the state pension'.

http://www.pensionsboard.ie/en/Publications/Information_Booklets/

Advertisement