Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CRW (DOE) Test ......A Class Motorhomes

Options
  • 11-12-2013 8:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Looking for a bit of info, if ye can help.

This only applies to A Class motorhomes.

Is anyone having difficulties with the indelibly marked VIN (that's the 'chassis number' stamped onto the chassis, not the one on the VIN Plate) not being visible due to the A Class body being built over the original bit of chassis where it's stamped on.

According to the VTN testers manual the tester needs to be able to see this number to check that it is the same as the number on the VIN plate otherwise an CRW will not be issued.

All feedback would be welcomed as well as any solutions used to overcome the problem.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

stamp it elsewhere... I have a set f stamps and I'm sure someone near you will have too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭niloc1951

corktina wrote: »
    stamp it elsewhere... I have a set f stamps and I'm sure someone near you will have too

Thanks, but I'm sure the tester will know where the VIN is stamped on by the manufacturer and what a legit one should look like.

What I'm really looking for is any examples of VTN testers refusing to issue a CRW because the couldn't see the stamped on VIN and how the owner got sorted in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

niloc1951 wrote: »
    Thanks, but I'm sure the tester will know where the VIN is stamped on by the manufacturer and what a legit one should look like.

What I'm really looking for is any examples of VTN testers refusing to issue a CRW because the couldn't see the stamped on VIN and how the owner got sorted in the end.

Where are you, I got my camper tested in Murphy truck in Ballymount in dublin and found them to be very good, you could call a test centre and ask them or email the RSA and ask them there has to be a way to handle it!

And if there isn't they should come up with one, it's allowed on the road they should have a way to test it. Vin is alos often in two places it is on mine!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

niloc1951 wrote: »

doesn't matter a bean. My Mk4 Cortina had no chassis number and I "found" one after they had rejected re-registering it on that basis. That's why I have the stamps..... The requirement is that the number is stamped into the body, it doesn't matter where.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭nailer8

Its a common problem with buses & hgv trailers as well. If the original one is covered up you would need to go to the manufacturer (or a main dealer for the base vehicle) to verify the correct number and stamp/weld it somewhere accessible. Main dealers can usually verify the chassis number using a diagnostic computer.
    If you have any questions give the RSA a ring, they are fairly helpful.

The rule to check the VIN number was always there but it's only recently that it is being enforced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭ianobrien

A lot of A class's have an outside storage box (gas box etc) just behind the drivers seat low down under the lounge bed box. Most manufacturers have a small inspection hatch built in to the interior walls of the gas box/storage box for examining the chassis number. I know that Hymer & Rapido are two that have done that.

If the A class has a driver's door, have a look as there is more than likely an inspection hatch/panel covering the number.

All this is for Ducato based vans as they have the chassis number down in the driver's door footwell under a piece of trim. I imagine that all manufacturers have an inspection hatch built in to check the number. It's just that you've got to find the hatch as you know where the number should be.

If you have an unusual one and you can't find it, I imagine a quick phone call to a main dealer for that model will let you know how to check it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭niloc1951

ianobrien wrote: »
    A lot of A class's have an outside storage box (gas box etc) just behind the drivers seat low down under the lounge bed box. Most manufacturers have a small inspection hatch built in to the interior walls of the gas box/storage box for examining the chassis number. I know that Hymer & Rapido are two that have done that.

If the A class has a driver's door, have a look as there is more than likely an inspection hatch/panel covering the number.

All this is for Ducato based vans as they have the chassis number down in the driver's door footwell under a piece of trim. I imagine that all manufacturers have an inspection hatch built in to check the number. It's just that you've got to find the hatch as you know where the number should be.

If you have an unusual one and you can't find it, I imagine a quick phone call to a main dealer for that model will let you know how to check it.

That's pretty much it.
    On Ducato base vehicles the number is on the inside of Right Hand front wheel arch, irrespective of whether the vehicle is LHD or RHD

All A Class motorhomes being manufactured in mainland Europe have bodies designed for LHD, even those delivered with RHD, with the habitation door on the right hand side and a single cab access door on the left hand side. The gas locker is invariably behind the front. right hand wheel (where there is normally no door)

There should be a small cut out in the gas locker, behind the right hand gas bottle, in line with where the VIN number is marked on the wheel arch.
    This cut out could be among the other cut outs put there for ventilation of the gas locker and not be readily identifiable as a special one for viewing the VIN.

Advertisement