Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Radiators!

• 11-12-2013 11:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi there,

I'm in the process of investigating radiators for a house that has to be entirely re-plumbed and am looking for something as energy efficient /green as possible. I've heard mixed reviews about solo radiators but am keen on the idea of them. I've heard they're quite noisy. I had been planning to put them downstairs and put "traditional" radiators upstairs. Does anyone out there have any views / know anywhere public in the vicinity of Dublin that uses them so I could have a look at (listen to) them? Any views on efficient heating systems (gas heating / open fireplace in situ).

Would really appreciate your views.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

While it might not be the popular opinion. If it was me building a house (plumber) id just put normal radiators. Simple there not dear and most importantly they work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

corkgsxr wrote: »
    While it might not be the popular opinion. If it was me building a house (plumber) id just put normal radiators. Simple there not dear and most importantly they work.

Completely agree. The simplest of systems are generally always the best. It's only when we complicate systems, do we see problems arise. Create easy low resistance paths for heat/water to flow, the result will always be positive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,932 ✭✭✭gifted

Bog standard rads and then insulate the bejaysus out of the house and I mean insulate the house and you won't have to use your heating, that's fairly green :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

Over the years there have been all sorts of must have radiator, box standard rads have passed the test of time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 858 ✭✭✭raxy

Sorry to jump onto someone else thread but we just had new radiators installed in a house we're renting. They also put new insulation in the roof. Question is do new radiators not get as hot as the old ones? They get warm & seem to be heating the house better then the old rads but they don't get very hot. You can easily put your hand on them when they've been on for hours & they cool down almost instantly when turned off.
    The bottom of the some of the radiators stays cold even after they've been on. Is there something wrong with them? The plumber said the new types don't get as hot but they don't seem right to me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

raxy wrote: »
    Sorry to jump onto someone else thread but we just had new radiators installed in a house we're renting. They also put new insulation in the roof. Question is do new radiators not get as hot as the old ones? They get warm & seem to be heating the house better then the old rads but they don't get very hot. You can easily put your hand on them when they've been on for hours & they cool down almost instantly when turned off.
    The bottom of the some of the radiators stays cold even after they've been on. Is there something wrong with them? The plumber said the new types don't get as hot but they don't seem right to me.
    What is the temperature setting on the boiler?
    Also if there is outdoor weather compensation installed with the boiler, this would reduce the temperature of the rads depending on the outside temp.

Advertisement