Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charity collectors on high street ?

Options
  • 11-12-2013 11:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭

What is the story with the collectors on high street.
    At 6.45 each morning a car pulls up opposite the post office 4 lads aged 20 to 30. Pitch a poster at post office and a chair at entrance to market yard.
    Off they go. DEDICATION I SAY FOR THAT TIME OF MORNING. Then you have some other lad on the post that day. Tracksuit socks tucked etc, Dublin accent drinking a can of monster collecting for an animal charity or that and another up the road. One of many who empty a few bob from the bucket into the pocket and no one notices. Another dub one collecting for charity cancer or that was seen then in a shop buying goods with lots of change. Has the council or guards given these people permission. Just too many on the high street outside all post offices in town asking for money. Put you off of going near them. Also the new speakers playing the x mas music nice touch but the volume has been raised with all the buskers now playing along side it. Anyone else avoid these collectors. Now I do give to charity especially old folk collecting who don't wear tracksuits or drink monster.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

If you've concerns give the Gardai or council a quick ring and ask them to confirm if they have a permit to be there,

They definitely seem to have more of a presence recently. It's a bit annoying the way they are in your face at the busiest parts of the street. I don't think they collect much tho - most people give them a wide berth - so they put in a lot of hours in all weathers for a small return IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Silverscott

I dare anyone to question the Dublin one who collects and says give to the cancer. Witnessed a man giving her his view. Well by god she let it rip. Seems like a real nice charity concerned person.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I dare anyone to question the Dublin one who collects and says give to the cancer. Witnessed a man giving her his view. Well by god she let it rip. Seems like a real nice charity concerned person.

She the one outside the €2 shop? If so it don't surprise me....

What did she say by the way? Dying to hear :D

• Advertisement

road_high wrote: »
    What did she say by the way? Dying to hear :D

He questioned her and the money etc big dirty Dublin accent she huffed up like a dragon and went mental. A real charity person would never act like this.
    Another young lad collecting for some crowd family something it was called. Done a google nothing could be found on them either. KK people beware of these collectors. One day I saw the good shepherd centre collecting a genuine Kilkenny charity with all people from here.

He questioned her and the money etc big dirty Dublin accent she huffed up like a dragon and went mental. A real charity person would never act like this.
    Another young lad collecting for some crowd family something it was called. Done a google nothing could be found on them either. KK people beware of these collectors. One day I saw the good shepherd centre collecting a genuine Kilkenny charity with all people from here.

Totally agree. Ever see the ones outside the Centra on Johns Green? Selling "charitee" scratch cards. Ones I've never heard of. With vague sales lines like "help the disabled".
    Love to know their cut :rolleyes:

Have someone video from a distance and put a colour photocopied 20 euro note in rolled up. Then wait and see how long it takes for lid on bucket to be lifted.BUSTED

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Goat the dote

I doubt anything over a few cents goes to the charities involved

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

I know of a crowd down here in Waterford that collect outside shops and then come into our shop wit their bag of coins to buy their fags. Used to try set up outside our shop asking if our security guard was working. Been a while since in kk is it that bad up there?

• Advertisement

deise08 wrote: »
    I know of a crowd down here in Waterford that collect outside shops and then come into our shop wit their bag of coins to buy their fags. Used to try set up outside our shop asking if our security guard was working. Been a while since in kk is it that bad up there?

Now that ya said it I think the guy I seen collecting had a strong Waterord/south KK accent! Was collecting for some Irish Lung thing that I'd never heard of to be honest...lets just say he would not instill me with confidence all the money was going to "charity" ;). Wonder is it the same crowd...

Goes in waves...seems to have gotten worse lately prob the run up to Xmas. Used be bad for chuggers on High st. but not see those in years. The town-hall is a constant begging-bowl always some busker or something there; though they're usually more genuine ones there like local things, probably get council permission.

road_high wrote: »
    Now that ya said it I think the guy I seen collecting had a strong Waterord/south KK accent! Was collecting for some Irish Lung thing that I'd never heard of to be honest...lets just say he would not instill me with confidence all the money was going to "charity" ;). Wonder is it the same crowd...

Goes in waves...seems to have gotten worse lately prob the run up to Xmas. Used be bad for chuggers on High st. but not see those in years. The town-hall is a constant begging-bowl always some busker or something there; though they're usually more genuine ones there like local things, probably get council permission.

A young lad with socks tucked in tracksuit was collecting today outside AIB bank on the parade for irish lung foundation. Genuine or not . Is it an image these organisations want to give out. Glad to see people are been more aware. Young lads collecting on every corner, desperate for work I don't think so. Ripping off the decent people of kilkenny

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭mick kk

Another crowd I'm not sure about is the Hanley centre - they call around the housing estates once a year and are often outside the PO in town....a judge recently made strong negative comments about the way they collect money - can't remember what the case was about though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

The worst chugger I've seen had a banner that read "fight disabled". What had disabled people ever done to him?

There's some very disturbed people out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭earlytobed

What is the story with the collectors on high street.
    At 6.45 each morning a car pulls up opposite the post office 4 lads aged 20 to 30. Pitch a poster at post office and a chair at entrance to market yard.
    Off they go. DEDICATION I SAY FOR THAT TIME OF MORNING. Then you have some other lad on the post that day. Tracksuit socks tucked etc, Dublin accent drinking a can of monster collecting for an animal charity or that and another up the road. One of many who empty a few bob from the bucket into the pocket and no one notices. Another dub one collecting for charity cancer or that was seen then in a shop buying goods with lots of change. Has the council or guards given these people permission. Just too many on the high street outside all post offices in town asking for money. Put you off of going near them. Also the new speakers playing the x mas music nice touch but the volume has been raised with all the buskers now playing along side it. Anyone else avoid these collectors. Now I do give to charity especially old folk collecting who don't wear tracksuits or drink monster.
    A lot of prejudices in there.... Dublin accent, tracksuit wearer, monster drinkers
    I would be concerned with their charity and how much goes to that:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

earlytobed wrote: »
    A lot of prejudices in there.... Dublin accent, tracksuit wearer, monster drinkers
    I would be concerned with their charity and how much goes to that:)
    The accent gives us reasonable doubt that they are local. Their observed behaviour also denotes that they weren't honorable in their intent.

To observe unusual activity is hardly an exhibition of bias. To act on perceptions without evidence however would be prejudice as with the kidnapping of the child of Romanian parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭earlytobed

catbear wrote: »
    The accent gives us reasonable doubt that they are local. Their observed behaviour also denotes that they weren't honorable in their intent.
    Locals only! Dubs out!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭eamonnq

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=81885066

Some of them could be from the above organisation, according to the documentary they go as far as Gorey/Wexford, not sure if they get to Kilkenny though.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Wimbago

Friend on my was visiting the city last weekend and was asking who let all the 'charity collectors' onto the High St. Exact words were 'seeing all these lads scamming people on the side of the street killed any xmas spirit the weather did it's best to do'.

Thought it was usual 4 or 5 around the place but was down the street during the week and there must be 15 of these collections and none of them look legit. I don't meant the genuine people collecting for the Lions club or some of the local charities but the lads in the yellow and red bibs outside nearly every shop. It's a depressing sight.

The friend I referred to also pointed out that there were none of these in McDonagh. Surely if they were legit McDonagh would have a few since trade and footfall has been decent up there. Or is it simply easier to 'scatter' from the side of the street.

:(

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Why doesnt somebody just ask to see a permit or make an official complaint if its so bad?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

Phoenix wrote: »
    Saw at least 6 infront of the butter slip this evening!

Feck sake was in town this pm and High st. was absolutely littered with SVDP collectors. OTT if you ask me, takes a lot from the usual good atmosphere there having plastic buckets shoved in your face every 5 metres!

Ok so today was svdp with loads of kids etc so looks genuine. The crowd outside the butterlip were genuine also.
    Now the lad outside the pound shop, you would see a better ID on an underage drinkers fake ID.
    Then outside the AIB the lung crowd were there again.
    Second day in a run.
    What charity collects two days in a row, I have never seen this.
    I contacted the irish lung crowd seems legit and got no reply to my questions.
    Which were did they have collectors in Kilkenny on Wednesday and do these get paid a wage.
    It's starting to bug people the constant hassling by these people on the streets of Kilkenny.
    None of them are from Kilkenny especially the young lads.

Why doesnt somebody just ask to see a permit or make an official complaint if its so bad?

I've never seen a guard up high street during the day.
    So they are outside the AIB bank, Euro shop, The post office, Market cross entrance both ones, Johns green post office. Anywhere else ?
    As in previous post ask the one that says ''Give to the the cancer'' in a Dublin accent where is your permit and see what happens

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I've never seen a guard up high street during the day.
    So they are outside the AIB bank, Euro shop, The post office, Market cross entrance both ones, Johns green post office. Anywhere else ?
    As in previous post ask the one that says ''Give to the the cancer'' in a Dublin accent where is your permit and see what happens

Yeah I never saw a guard on high street when I lived in ireland either, but maybe if someone actually made a complaint and forced the guards to go there a handful of times the all the dodgy groups would disappear very quickly I'd wager and move on to some other town

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭mydogjack

The Irish Lung Foundation are always looking for people to help us sell scratch cards, our major source of funding. If you would like to donate a little of your time please contus by calling 01 874 9985 or emailing info@irishlungfoundation.ie

Taken from the Irish Lung foundation. Seems legit, asking people to donate some of their time. A friend of mine told me that some charities sometimes 'source' some of their collectors from addiction centres. Must be an earner though, or why would so many people donate so much time.

A famous Kilkenny citizen (who like 1950's music) has been 'donating' his time for years selling tickets, in Waterford and recently in Limerick. I seen him in 'The Big Tree' pub in Dublin on All Ireland Hurling final Day a few years ago, dressed as Santa, collecting for charity. Beats "tracksuits tucked into socks" though.

mydogjack wrote: »
    The Irish Lung Foundation are always looking for people to help us sell scratch cards, our major source of funding. If you would like to donate a little of your time please contus by calling 01 874 9985 or emailing info@irishlungfoundation.ie

Taken from the Irish Lung foundation. Seems legit, asking people to donate some of their time. A friend of mine told me that some charities sometimes 'source' some of their collectors from addiction centres. Must be an earner though, or why would so many people donate so much time.

A famous Kilkenny citizen (who like 1950's music) has been 'donating' his time for years selling tickets, in Waterford and recently in Limerick. I seen him in 'The Big Tree' pub in Dublin on All Ireland Hurling final Day a few years ago, dressed as Santa, collecting for charity. Beats "tracksuits tucked into socks" though.

Collectors from addiction centres.. even better. This crowd had no scratch cards and done two days in a row. From speaking to people who have witnessed coins been cashed and hands going into the bucket people are starting to cop on now and are avoiding them.

Advertisement