Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Too Late for 2014 Start?

Options
  • 11-12-2013 11:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi everyone. Got some bad news in work on Monday - will be made redundant in March next. Quite a shock, especially at this time of year.

However, I've been contemplating a change of career for a while anyway, so I'm looking at this as a chance to go to university as a mature student (I'm 38) but I don't know if it's too late for me to do anything about enrolling for next year? I've pretty much decided on this plan of action only this evening!!! From a quick initial look, I can still apply for the majority of courses, but I need to know if I have missed out on any deadline dates that might apply to certain students, or in certain courses/institutions?

Vague I know, as I haven't even decided on an area of study, and I appreciate I have a lot of research in my immediate future - I'd just appreciate knowing if any boats have already sailed as far as 2014 goes?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭shawki

Red Raider wrote: »
    Hi everyone. Got some bad news in work on Monday - will be made redundant in March next. Quite a shock, especially at this time of year.

However, I've been contemplating a change of career for a while anyway, so I'm looking at this as a chance to go to university as a mature student (I'm 38) but I don't know if it's too late for me to do anything about enrolling for next year? I've pretty much decided on this plan of action only this evening!!! From a quick initial look, I can still apply for the majority of courses, but I need to know if I have missed out on any deadline dates that might apply to certain students, or in certain courses/institutions?

Vague I know, as I haven't even decided on an area of study, and I appreciate I have a lot of research in my immediate future - I'd just appreciate knowing if any boats have already sailed as far as 2014 goes?!

Cao application closes the 1st of Feb so you have a bit of time yet.

Different course have different application procedures. Mine was just an interview but some need you to do a Msap exam which I'm don't know much about.

I'd recommend having a good read through this thread, it really helped me!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055676871

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

As Shawki said you've got plenty of time. The 1st of February is the main date to aim for, especially for mature students or if you are applying for restricted application courses. However just be aware that not all colleges ask you to apply through CAO, some will ask you to apply directly to them and others can ask that you apply through CAO and directly to them as well. Have a look at the CAO handbook on www.cao.ie. It goes through all of this.

I've also attached an info sheet on stuff for mature applicants applying to CAO for the first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Red Raider

Thanks guys, really appreciate it!

Have gone from being on a bit of a downer (naturally enough I spose), to being optimistic and even excited about the future. Will have a good read of those links now. Thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭endasmail

Best of luck with it

Advertisement