Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

software development or software design

Options
  • 11-12-2013 11:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

hi ,i am going back to college next year and wondering what is better to do software development or software design , The software design has an elective in cloud computing or games development after year one , im just wondering what would be better to learn the design or development and what would the difference be in the two ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

God only knows. If you want to be a computer programmer do the one with lots of computer programming courses. Don't be fooled by trendy marketing buzzwords.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

"The one that has the harder math courses in it" is a reasonable rule of thumb.

A course that teaches you the latest API for something or the latest fancy language is great... once you have your degree and are working in the industry and need to get to the actual meat of the thing you're using. When you're learning the basics, courses like that are a really bad idea. You want the basics and the low-level stuff, the math and the theory; but industrial courses will just work against you in the long run if you plan to stay in the industry for longer than you stay in college getting the degree in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,170 ✭✭✭Talisman

My advice would be to ask for more detail on each of the modules before deciding on which course is for you.

For instance, "cloud computing" is a marketing term. I would think that the module would primarily be fluff, you would learn as much/even more by reading about "cloud computing" online, e.g. A Short Introduction to Cloud Platforms by Dave Chappell, 2008 [PDF]

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

As above, find out more info.
    I'd pick the one that teaches you how to program, in anything. You want to be taught how to think in a logical manner, getting Java or Scala or anything horsed down your throat without that basic "algorithm" background isnt as longterm useful as the opposite imo.

If you can program in pseudo code the rest is pretty much syntax, if all you know is syntax you will be far more likely to write crappy but "working" code and be one of those people that other people despise working with and cleaning up after.

My 2c.

Advertisement