Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Entering the world of Greyhound racing .

Options
  • 11-12-2013 11:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭

I've seriously been considering getting into greyhound racing for a long time . Not just for the win factor but for the appreciation I have for greyhounds . They are amazing animals and watching them run races the last while has edged me towards wanting to get into this.
    I'd love to have my own hound . But I have a few questions for ye experts . Where to buy ? What trainer to use , costs ? And what type of races to enter the dog in and where . First off my next door neighbour is a dog trainer . So that's a bonus I think , . I should have a chat with him as he may advise me better on all this but I just wanted an opinion from some seasoned dog owners on this

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

it all depends what suits you?

Various options to consider

Do you want to own buy yourself or Join a syndicate i

you can buy from , sales, trainer , breeder , at the track or online via Greyhound data or Greyhoundsforsale etc

Dog or bitch ? sprinter or standard 525 distance dog?

How much do you want to spend ?

Thousands to get a Good class dog down to picking up a grader for small money

Do you want it to run at your local track or on tv england?

Get an idea in your head of these various options and you will have a better idea going forward

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Colash

Nowso wrote: »
    it all depends what suits you?

Various options to consider

Do you want to own buy yourself or Join a syndicate i

you can buy from , sales, trainer , breeder , at the track or online via Greyhound data or Greyhoundsforsale etc

Dog or bitch ? sprinter or standard 525 distance dog?

How much do you want to spend ?

Thousands to get a Good class dog down to picking up a grader for small money

Do you want it to run at your local track or on tv england?

Get an idea in your head of these various options and you will have a better idea going forward

Thank you for the reply . You have given me lots to think about there . Owning the dog myself would be my objective . And from research I've done I think a sprinter is what I'd want . Local race tracks might be my best option . I think I've alot more thinking and planning to do as your questions have opened up things I hadn't even considered

it would depend on the distances run at tracks near you sprints can be from 325 to 400, and a lot of 400 dogs can run over 525

and prizemoney is bigger for standard races than sprints

Nowso wrote: »
    it would depend on the distances run at tracks near you sprints can be from 325 to 400, and a lot of 400 dogs can run over 525

and prizemoney is bigger for standard races than sprints

Longford would be my local track . I'm going to go to a few meets and get a feel for things . Early next year will be when I buy a dog .if all goes to plan .

Colash wrote: »
    Longford would be my local track . I'm going to go to a few meets and get a feel for things . Early next year will be when I buy a dog .if all goes to plan .

they have a couple of 325 sprints at longford . but its limited enough , you can always race in Mullingar and Galway , without travelling to far. racing Manager is a good lad

bookies limited enough atm . but you will get a good bet on with Pj Rickard

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Marooned75

Yeah Pj s a decent bloke

Marooned75 wrote: »
    Yeah Pj s a decent bloke

Would buying a donedeal hound be a waste of money ? I've seen a few on there , and another question , which might be silly ., but would a bitch be a better buy as a first hound ?

Would buying a donedeal hound be a waste of money ? I've seen a few on there , and another question , which might be silly ., but would a bitch be a better buy as a first hound ?

Wouldn't buy of done deal and no probs with having a bitch as first dog .look up greyhounddata.com for dogs for sale but get somebody to advise you along the way.remember one mans Ferrari is another mans mini.Get yourself a trainer first before you buy

Marooned75 wrote: »
    Wouldn't buy of done deal and no probs with having a bitch as first dog .look up greyhounddata.com for dogs for sale but get somebody to advise you along the way.remember one mans Ferrari is another mans mini.Get yourself a trainer first before you buy

My next door neighbour would most defiantly be the trainer as I've heard good things and he's literally 3 doors away from me and plus he's a family friend .

My next door neighbour would most defiantly be the trainer as I've heard good things and he's literally 3 doors away from me and plus he's a family friend .

Well then what are ya waiting for ?

• Advertisement

a dog wont go in season . and will not need that time off.

i woudnt buy from donedeal - there normally ones that wouldnt sell otherwise . ask the trainer he might be get a young pup nearly ready to race or lightly raced from a breeder or owner around say around 13 months , which will be ready to go and race

Advertisement