Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insuurance/Drivers Licence Issue - P2 in Ireland

Options
  • 12-12-2013 12:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭

Any recommendations?!

Hello all, I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on this subject for me. I won’t go down the road of how angry I am or how long my friend has spent on the phone to his Insurance broker (okay I just have!). Here are the facts!
    • I hold a P2 Licence here in Australia
    • I also went and got myself an International Drivers Permit
    • A friend is giving me his car when I go home at Christmas for 2 weeks
    • When he called to give them my details – 31, P2 Licence and International Drivers Permit they told him they could not put me onto his Insurance policy.
    • It is because of the P2 Licence obviously and once they hear the word Provisional they immediately go into shut down mode
    • The P2 Licence involves THREE Tests to get ... Theory, Practical and then after 12 months a Hazard Perception Test – It is more difficult to attain than an Irish one.

The International Drivers Permit covers me to rent a car in Ireland but not to be added to an insurance policy temporarily.
    He is with Allianz through a Broker.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do from here?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

Rent a car or sit your test when you go home?

It sucks but if he is the owner of the car, his policy is with Allianz and they are saying no then its tough cookies.

Officially, you are still a learner driver. I'm actually surprised that a car rental company will give you a quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Diddler82

Batgurl wrote: »
    Rent a car or sit your test when you go home?

It sucks but if he is the owner of the car, his policy is with Allianz and they are saying no then its tough cookies.

Officially, you are still a learner driver. I'm actually surprised that a car rental company will give you a quote.

Only home for 2 weeks, living in Australia 4 years and no intentions of returning home anytime soon.

I'll assume I don't need to eloborate further :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭c0rk3r

I was in contact with the RSA before i headed home asking could i transfer my P2 licence to a full since they are equivalent. He replied confirming i could do this. Wish i had the email but i used my work email address to contact them (no longer there).

Why not try tranfer your P2 licence to an Irish one? It only takes a few minutes to ring up an insurance company and add someone to your policy. Then when you return back home to Australia you can transfer your full irish licence to a full Australian licence. Mind you i dont know how long it takes to transfer an Australian P2 to Irish full. Australia they do it on the spot but here... who knows. Worth looking into

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

I transferred my P1 to an Irish licence just this October, straight forward process, just took an eye test and that was that. Only thing is that they keep the Australian licence you handed in, which would obviously be an inconvenience for when you return to Oz. It did take a while as they had to verify it genuine on the Australian side, so allow a few weeks, which isn't much use to someone in your situation unfortunately.

Advertisement