Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I start a company to renovate 2 houses?

Options
  • 12-12-2013 12:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi,

Hope I'm in the correct section, and hope I can get some advice.
    My cousin and I are looking at 2 properties we want to renovate to let out and are relatively new to this. Call us crazy, but loads of people were trying to do this thing 5 years when prices were sky high and its a lot cheaper now. We're both in our 30's have some cash and time, and if we can get a good deal, the long term value should be there in it.

Anyway, We have some money behind us, and would borrow some more. The properties need a good share of work so we would be incurring costs.

What we are wondering is, should we set up a company to run all this from. Would it be more efficient from a tax stand point and writing off expenses, mortgage interest etc. or are we better off just pooling our money and doing it from there?

Any suggestions/advice/experience welcome.

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭shanered

You want to start a company and pay yourself for a job you want to do for yourself and write off the expenses?

Not sure if it works that way.

IM pretty sure your better off just paying somebody else unless you have.some idea about running a construction company.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ShadDixon

I think the biggest thing you could do to protect yourself is have a written agreement with your cousin. Make sure it is clearly written out who is putting in what, who gets what back in return, who will manage properties once you have them renovated?

Talk to an accountant as well.

Good luck.

Shad Dixon

Advertisement