Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hayrack

Options
  • 12-12-2013 12:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭

Well lads

I splashed out on a hayrack today, the type that hangs from a gate about four foot long and fully galvanised. I paid sixty five euro for it in the local co-op. However on the way home I noticed a dull ache in my moneymaker :D:D.

Was it a bit pricey? anyone buy one lately?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

foxylock wrote: »
    Well lads

I splashed out on a hayrack today, the type that hangs from a gate about four foot long and fully galvanised. I paid sixty five euro for it in the local co-op. However on the way home I noticed a dull ache in my moneymaker :D:D.

Was it a bit pricey? anyone buy one lately?

Thanks.

I made an outdoor one, it sits on top of two stakes. Made from one 8'x4' sheet of 2"x2" weldmesh bent in half lengthways. I cut out two holes in the bottom so I can sit it down on the stakes, won't budge. Scrounged a sheet of tin to keep the rain off, and used some timber I hay laying around to help keep it's shape.

The mesh cost me €22, I had/scrounged everything else so cost me nothing really.

Brother of a friend of mine made one out of 4"x4" mesh, it's a disaster as it wastes a load of hay, mine doesn't waste much at all. Plus he made a big frame for his, which makes it heavy and hard to move. You can see mine, lift it off stakes and away you go.

It will hold a well packed small square bale of hay no bother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭foxylock

Thats a handy number, fair play. I have about ten eight foot hayracks of a similar design to that but slightly more mobile, I use them for the ewes. I wanted the small one for a couple of rams that are heading to a paddock for the winter, however the pain in my hoop tells me I should have shopped around :eek:

Lol, yes, I think so.

I made another that my Dad robbed on me, it would have suited your purpose as it was for a small hospital field, was two or three foot max, gate hung.

Whats more worrying is that I'm a carpenter by trade!! But my excuse is that I'm flat out making up some lambing pens at the moment as I'm intending to try out this indoor lambing lark for the first time this year.

Ah now you're a lost cause altogether lol.

Stick up a few photos of the pens on the photo thread when they're done :)

Am hoping to bodge together a small shed myself before lambing to lamb the couples in.

• Advertisement

will do but be warned it may not be pretty.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭AnFeirmeoir

I love it Conn .. and it is actually is better than the similar ones you can buy with the A frame legs on either side. They have a serious design flaw as sheep can just knock them over... easy to fix them by tying a long bar to the legs along the ground on each side perpendicular to the rack.

I love it Conn .. and it is actually is better than the similar ones you can buy with the A frame legs on either side. They have a serious design flaw as sheep can just knock them over... easy to fix them by tying a long bar to the legs along the ground on each side perpendicular to the rack.

Yeah some of them are an accident waiting to happen. Particularly with horned sheep that could get caught up in one if it fell on them.

Advertisement