Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Address for iPhone replacement, maybe repair

• 12-12-2013 1:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

Hi,
    I`ve got a new iPhone two weeks ago. Got it set up alright, but lost the passcode. Tried the whole restore thing via iTunes at least four times. No joy. Used Apple support via phone and live chat. Still no joy.

Spent almost six hours online this evening trying to fix the damn thing. Didn`t find apple live chat too helpful either-they got cut off at least three times. And ultimately couldn`t find a solution to the problem anyhow.

Can anyone tell me where I must send the phone to for repair/replacement?

I bought it from o2 but they say it`s a manufacturer problem and to send it to Apple.

But where in Apple? I can`t see any link on their support forum.

Eyes glazing over in sheer frustration as I type. Oh, and sure, this may be just me!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭brophs

Redhenrun wrote: »
    Hi,
    I`ve got a new iPhone two weeks ago. Got it set up alright, but lost the passcode. Tried the whole restore thing via iTunes at least four times. No joy. Used Apple support via phone and live chat. Still no joy.

Spent almost six hours online this evening trying to fix the damn thing. Didn`t find apple live chat too helpful either-they got cut off at least three times. And ultimately couldn`t find a solution to the problem anyhow.

Can anyone tell me where I must send the phone to for repair/replacement?

I bought it from o2 but they say it`s a manufacturer problem and to send it to Apple.

But where in Apple? I can`t see any link on their support forum.

Eyes glazing over in sheer frustration as I type. Oh, and sure, this may be just me!

Have you followed the support doc here http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1212

I don't think you should have to send it away really. There doesn't appear to be a fault with the phone based on what you've told us. It might require wiping the phone again but it would beat sending if away.

To answer your question there's no address as such. You have to log a fault on the apple support website http://www.apple.com/ie/support/ and request a repair. They then send you packaging to send the phone back.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Redhenrun

Brophs, I appreciate your response.

Yes, I tried wiping the phone doing, as the apple support page and also apple chat people suggested, via iTunes. Did this six times now.

Currently awaiting a phone call from an Apple engineer.

Apple already suggested I trot off to the nearest apple Genius bar but since that`s in Belfast and I`m not, that`s a non runner.

Didn`t realise there wasn`t an actual address. Not at all sure I like this virtual world anymore.

Meanwhile, I`m standing here with a disabled phone on which I`ve just worked for over six hours and I`m waiting for apple to call(luckily on another handset).

I`ll update here to let anyone interested know how Apple deal with this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭brophs

Redhenrun wrote: »
    Brophs, I appreciate your response.

Yes, I tried wiping the phone doing, as the apple support page and also apple chat people suggested, via iTunes. Did this six times now.

Currently awaiting a phone call from an Apple engineer.

Apple already suggested I trot off to the nearest apple Genius bar but since that`s in Belfast and I`m not, that`s a non runner.

Didn`t realise there wasn`t an actual address. Not at all sure I like this virtual world anymore.

Meanwhile, I`m standing here with a disabled phone on which I`ve just worked for over six hours and I`m waiting for apple to call(luckily on another handset).

I`ll update here to let anyone interested know how Apple deal with this.
    Fair enough. Did you also try this:
    If you see one of following alerts, you need to erase the device:

"iTunes could not connect to the [device] because it is locked with a passcode. You must enter your passcode on the [device] before it can be used with iTunes."
    "You haven't chosen to have [device] trust this computer"

If you have Find My iPhone enabled, you can use Remote Wipe to erase the contents of your device. If you have been using iCloud to back up, you may be able to restore the most recent backup to reset the passcode after the device has been erased.

Alternatively, place the device in recovery mode and restore it to erase the device:

Disconnect the USB cable from the device, but leave the other end of the cable connected to your computer's USB port.
    Turn off the device: Press and hold the Sleep/Wake button for a few seconds until the red slider appears, then slide the slider. Wait for the device to shut down.
    While pressing and holding the Home button, reconnect the USB cable to the device. The device should turn on.
    Continue holding the Home button until you see the Connect to iTunes screen.
    iTunes will alert you that it has detected a device in recovery mode. Click OK, and then restore the device.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭kensutz

So the passcode lockout has come up and iPhone is disabled? Uninstall iTunes, reinstall, force the iPhone into recovery mode to restore it. Are there any specific error numbers coming up on the computer or have you tried a different computer with iTunes installed to see if the same error occurs?

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Redhenrun

Kensutes and Brophs,

Thank you for your reponses. At this point I`ve tried the restore via iTunes method six or seven times and with the assistance of seven different employees on Apple support chat. In all I`ve worked on it with Apple for five hours last night, and two hours tonight. Each time doing the same method. Yes, I did try it also on another iTunes account on another laptop.

The closest I`ve got to understanding why this solution is not working for me is that according to the last Apple chat support person

It is normally a simple issue but because the recovery mode can time out, it takes a long time to download the software update and causes us to yet try again

So with the recovery mode timing out before the software downloads the phone doesn`t get a chance to be restored. Well, that`s my non-techie understanding of it anyway.

I started the thread asking for an address for iphone replacement, not realising how virtual this whole business is. One of the suggestions from Apple was that I trot up to the nearest Genius Bar. But I explained that`s not an option as it`s in another country. (Belfast, actually)

I found the whole experience of Apple support live chat tedious, and time consuming. They`re not offering to replace the phone either. Its covered under warranty of course but only if they can `isolate a hardware issue`. I`ve no idea what that means.

But I do know that I am very fed up of the whole situation at this point. And particularly fed up with Apple and their virtual support. Hmmm, virtual means it doesn`t actually exist, right?

Anyway, I`m going to ring them tomorrow for a less virtual experience. I`m also calling into my friendly O2 shop to see what they suggest.

Just hope my experience might help someone else. And my top tip is: Please don`t forget your passcode.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

You're making a mountain out of a mole hill IMO. You could be unlucky and it just won't restore for whatever reason. Have you tried logging in with your Apple ID at iCloud.com? Have you tried putting the phone in DFU and downloading the latest iOS using a browser not iTunes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭jamesd

Sounds to me that the problem is that your internet connection is timing out before the software can down load for the restore so it's an issue with your internet connection and the large file.
    We could go and tell you to how to download the file beforehand then when in iTunes how to restore the file onto the phone but I think at this stage you have no interest in that? But it would fix it once you have the file downloaded beforehand as that seems to be where your issue is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭flyguy

A few people asked already but I didn't see an answer. Do you have iCloud setup, do you have "find my iPhone switched on"? (if not, I don't understand why and another lesson learned!). If you do all you have to do is remotely wipe it.
    As for all the trouble you have, I think you should be happy you get any help at all, from the manufacturer point of view there's nothing wrong with the phone. You put a passcode in and you can't access the phone without it, the phone doing exactly what it's supposed to do IMHO... Anyway good luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭djdunny

OP may i offer one more suggestion? try to set a new user account on your laptop. this will load only the basics and may not load a certain application that is preventing you from restoring. Also wouldnt hurt to restart the router. Ive had plenty of these issues with people where they thought they turned off the firewall but all they did was close the app on the desktop but had it running in the background.

Hope this may be of some help.

Advertisement