Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

reg/rec stator issues

• 12-12-2013 4:49am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭

ok then i started up the arctic cat 454 quad project i bought as a non runner, it started and idled and revved fine, went to check the voltage at the battery and it was reading 14.2v at idle, when we revved it it dropped to 13.1v.......... also one of the yellow wires with red stripe going into the reg/rec plug was very hot and melted slightly. is it the reg/rec thats had it or the stator?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

serious3 wrote: »
    ok then i started up the arctic cat 454 quad project i bought as a non runner, it started and idled and revved fine, went to check the voltage at the battery and it was reading 14.2v at idle, when we revved it it dropped to 13.1v.......... also one of the yellow wires with red stripe going into the reg/rec plug was very hot and melted slightly. is it the reg/rec thats had it or the stator?

I'm no expert ... but that sounds like a short in the regulator. And the voltage shouldn't have dropped when the revs rose.
    Do you have a multimeter? It's not difficult to check the stator and rectifier if you can probe the back of the connectors. Check the wires and connector for any damage and possible shorting - esp. if it's a "project"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭serious3

i do have a multimeter so what do i need to do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

There are many tutorials on line. Here are a couple of short ones I found
    stator test
    reg test

On the stator you check:
    - that windings have continuity (low ohms) and that windings to ground is open cct (high ohms)
    - that the AC volts output is the same across all phases at tickover, then at higher revs.

On the rectifier check that the diodes are open in one direction and closed in the other.

Do check all connections, earths (esp regulator's earth), battery terminals are clean and tight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭serious3

we spent 3hrs cleaning and re-soldering a heap of connections to and from the cdi,reg,and earths. its made a big difference to the starting and running issues. thanks for the tutorials i'll have a good look at them in a while and see if i can get time to test them!

Advertisement