Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Out of oz for more than 28days on 457

Options
  • 12-12-2013 6:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭

Hi folks
    Not near laptop to browse this but family illness back in ireland has raised prospect of my wife needing to go home for more than 28 days, her sponsor is fine with this but does she need immi consent?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

Will her employer be paying her while shes at home?

If so there should be no hassle.

If not, so long as her salary doesn't drop below the 457 visa minimum amount she can leave for up to 4 or 6 (can't remember exactly how long) months.

So ... as long as 11/12th (away for one month), 10/12th (away for two months) etc of her salary is over the $54k, or whatever it is now limit, then she should be fine.

Best to ring immi and get their permission but this is what I was told when I called them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Thanks batgurl. She actually has over a month of holidays to take so she's covered on that front.

Will try to get onto immi tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Coileach dearg

I went to Europe for 6 weeks while on a 457 visa. Was contracting at the time so I wasn't getting paid. Didn't have any hassle getting back in and didn't realise it was a problem until I saw this thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Never had this issue. But my salary was always a lot higher than $54000 before now.

As above, wasn't aware of this until now. It's a bit silly though? If you're in a contracted job on a base salary and have to return to Ireland for an extended period of time with agreement from your employer what has immigration got to do with it?

You're not cheating the system. You have an agreed salary which is above the visa requirement and your weekly/bi weekly/monthly payments will back that up... Where does it say you have to earn said salary within a year?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

irishmover wrote: »
    Never had this issue. But my salary was always a lot higher than $54000 before now.

As above, wasn't aware of this until now. It's a bit silly though? If you're in a contracted job on a base salary and have to return to Ireland for an extended period of time with agreement from your employer what has immigration got to do with it?

You're not cheating the system. You have an agreed salary which is above the visa requirement and your weekly/bi weekly/monthly payments will back that up... Where does it say you have to earn said salary within a year?

I don't know where to find it written but like I said, this is what I was told when I rang immigration. Feel free to call them yourself and check it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement