Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Safe areas to rent in Dublin 2?

Options
  • 12-12-2013 6:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,789 ✭✭✭

Hi there. I emigrated 18 months ago but my girlfriend will be visiting Ireland for 3 months (her first time in the country) next year to do a residency with an online media organisation based in Fumbally Lane and is looking to rent in an area close by. Her university will actually cover the cost of the rent, to a generous amount of around €1750 per month during this time (I know, it's pretty awesome!).

With that in mind, and in trying to make sure that she has a safe, great location in the city centre, I've been looking around Daft.ie for the best area that is in the city centre and would be within 20 minutes or less walking distance to Fumbally Lane. The safest areas I can think of are around Georges Street (too expensive); Cow's Lane, Temple Bar (within the upper limit of the rent maximum); Lower Leeson Street (too expensive) etc.

I was thinking of around Christchuch but I had a search around Boards and it sounds fairly dodgy. I know the areas around Dublin 2 fairly well but I've never lived there.

Can anyone help out with their tips on safe areas within or around Dublin 2? Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭lima

Hi there. I emigrated 18 months ago but my girlfriend will be visiting Ireland for 3 months (her first time in the country) next year to do a residency with an online media organisation based in Fumbally Lane and is looking to rent in an area close by. Her university will actually cover the cost of the rent, to a generous amount of around €1750 per month during this time (I know, it's pretty awesome!).

With that in mind, and in trying to make sure that she has a safe, great location in the city centre, I've been looking around Daft.ie for the best area that is in the city centre and would be within 20 minutes or less walking distance to Fumbally Lane. The safest areas I can think of are around Georges Street (too expensive); Cow's Lane, Temple Bar (within the upper limit of the rent maximum); Lower Leeson Street (too expensive) etc.

I was thinking of around Christchuch but I had a search around Boards and it sounds fairly dodgy. I know the areas around Dublin 2 fairly well but I've never lived there.

Can anyone help out with their tips on safe areas within or around Dublin 2? Thank you.

Hey you should look into Portobello, Harolds Cross or Rathmines. Anywhere around Fumbally may be tiny apartments and also there may be junkies around. Temple Bar is a no no as it's far too noisy and roudy to live.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,789 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

lima wrote: »
    Hey you should look into Portobello, Harolds Cross or Rathmines. Anywhere around Fumbally may be tiny apartments and also there may be junkies around. Temple Bar is a no no as it's far too noisy and roudy to live.

I only mentioned Temple Bar because a place I saw was at Cow's Lane and was soundproofed. Cow's Lane I think is generally a lot quieter. But thanks for the response.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

An allowance of €1750 a month? :eek: Some families have to live for a month on less than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,789 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Emme wrote: »
    An allowance of €1750 a month? :eek: Some families have to live for a month on less than that.

The top universities in Qatar are staggeringly generous towards students. Trust me, the both of us are well aware of what an amazing opportunity the entire package is. It's like winning a competition!

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Valentine1

Even the quickest search of short term lets on Daft shows a number of very nice apartments almost anyone of which I'm sure would be perfect for your girlfriend.

I'm not sure what your definition of safe is but anywhere in the city centre is going to have some level of security concern. For that budget however she will have no problem finding accommodation with a high level of security.

Fumbally Lane is on Clanbrassil street near to the Liberties and not far from the Cornmarket. I wouldn't describe Clanbrassil street as unsafe but muggings and thefts do happen there, something to be aware of perhaps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

The top universities in Qatar are staggeringly generous towards students. Trust me, the both of us are well aware of what an amazing opportunity the entire package is. It's like winning a competition!

Likewise Kuwait! Amazing stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭TheBandicoot

Get somewhere in the south docklands, Hanover Quay type area. On that budget you can just about afford a nice 1 bed. I'd take this if I had that kind of money.

Advertisement