Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheap HDMI monitor for raspberry pi

Options
  • 12-12-2013 9:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭

I'm setting up a RPi as a home environment monitoring station. It will be based in a press in the hall for occasional access. The data will also be available via browser, but I have a need to check it without firing up a tablet or laptop.

As a result I'm looking for a small TV or monitor that I can plug into it. It has to be small (15" is fine, 17" is OK, 19" may be too big for the space), and it has to have HDMI. I don't have a component cable to hand, and I'm not convinced that buying one and using it to connect to a less-good monitor would be efficient.

I checked adverts.ie and most of the monitors I saw there only had VGA.

I've looked at a couple of new ones around the €120 price band, but I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for a good value/cheap monitor with HDMI.

Thanks,

z

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Would a hdmi to dvi cable help widen the choices available ?

http://www.amazon.com/DVI-HDMI-Cable-6ft-Male-Male/dp/B0002CZHN6

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

It would alright, I think. I looked at HDMI to VGA cables before, but from my reading of things the signal strength from the pi (low power device in general) wasn't strong enough to provide the power required for the conversion and you would need to buy a powered VGA to HDMI cable . . . which was a significant percentage (like 20-30%) of the price of a new monitor. I'll check up on the HDMI to DVI options - thanks.

z

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I'm guessing that you're in South Dublin? Maybe this would suit ya! If it's only for browsing, you may as well just get a cheapo 2nd hand one.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭invaderzimirl

if you have a smart tv on the same network you could access it via that using a remote connection or webpage.
    also you could use a smart phone to access the page.

but if you really want to go down the road of a screen here is a good add on kit for the PI free worldwide shipping,

a 7 inch touch panel for the pi and some nav buttons for US $76.00

Diy Monitor for Raspberry Pi

hell im tempted to get one myself to play with it its only €55 at the end of the day plus has some interesting features to play with also

Q062151103-2.jpg

you could mount the panel on the outside of the press with the nav buttons and have a health check on it and activate it via the remote

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Dublinflyer

I have one of these and it works a treat with the Pi, no external power needed.

http://cpcireland.farnell.com/element14/piview/adapter-raspberry-pi-hdmi-to-vga/dp/SC12760

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

Thanks all. That DIY touchscreen looks pretty cool. I think I'll wait till the sales start after Christmas and pick up a (hopefully) discounted one.

z

Advertisement