Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of getting an alarm system, budget €500

Options
  • 12-12-2013 10:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 33,660 ✭✭✭✭

I am considering getting an alarm fitted soon, and would like to keep my spend to around the €500 mark (€600 at a stretch).

What would be the best system for that sort of budget?

I was thinking wireless, simply for the ease of fitting. But maybe an installer might not see a wired system as too much hassle?

I would like to protect maybe 2 entry doors and haev perhaps 3 room PIRs. No pets in the house. And probably just protect the downstairs of the house.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

You would get something like that within your budget. It's not the type of system I would recommend. It means your alarm will not activate until someone has gained entry. By then the damage is done. Perimeter protection would be much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,660 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

You talking CCTV?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

No . Alarm system using shock sensors and contacts on all ground floor and accessible points of entry.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

NIMAN wrote: »
    I am considering getting an alarm fitted soon, and would like to keep my spend to around the €500 mark (€600 at a stretch).

I was thinking wireless, simply for the ease of fitting. But maybe an installer might not see a wired system as too much hassle?

I would like to protect maybe 2 entry doors and haev perhaps 3 room PIRs. No pets in the house. And probably just protect the downstairs of the house.

It's very unlikely you'll get a alarm with 3 beams and 2 door sensors properly installed for €500-€600 inclusive of VAT. If you do happen to get it done for that I can assure you they won't be around too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,717 ✭✭✭✭altor

For a self install you will be able to get a system of this type. Not the best way to go as perimeter protection is always going to offer the best protection in your home.

Have a look at these wire free system here to get you started.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Do yourself a favour and get something decent, I pondered with the idea of a self install, which would save money, but I wanted to make sure I was getting a proper job done, so I pushed up the cost of what I wanted to spend. I went for perimeter protection with a couple of PIRs. I also went for cctv with remote access to everything. I even went for the X10 home automation stuff, where I can turn on/off lights and heating. Means I have to dig really deep, but it'll all be worth it (I hope:eek:)

Mine goes in on Tuesday. I'm getting a siemens panel and sony cctv cams.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,660 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Would you be willing to PM the total cost of a system of that nature?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Would you be willing to PM the total cost of a system of that nature?

PM sent

Advertisement