Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would this be covered by Insurance?

Options
  • 12-12-2013 10:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭

Hi,
    I went to meet some mates for a pint after work. I had my laptop (in a laptop bag) with me which I placed at my feet. One pint progressed into 5-6 as can happen around xmas. Anyways, I left a bit pissed and started walking home. About 5 mins into my journey I copped I left my bag behind me, I legged it back to the pub but by the time I got back (the space of 10 mins) there was no sign. Asked the staff etc. but they didn't know anything.

I appreciate this is sheer stupidity on my part, but would it be covered by insurance before I waste my time going through the whole claim process?

Edit: I have portable device insurance, not home insurance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭kkelliher

The majority of cover for items (not specified, if specified on the policy you have additional cover) on policies is within the home or boundaries. You can check you policy but there generally is an extension for goods temporarily moved from the home however it would have to be as a result of an insured risk and although your property was stolen, generally where there has being no violence or force used in the theft you dont have any cover.

bottom line, insurance was not designed to cover ones stupidity....... but you already admitted that.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭WhyTheFace

kkelliher wrote: »
    The majority of cover for items (not specified, if specified on the policy you have additional cover) on policies is within the home or boundaries. You can check you policy but there generally is an extension for goods temporarily moved from the home however it would have to be as a result of an insured risk and although your property was stolen, generally where there has being no violence or force used in the theft you dont have any cover.

bottom line, insurance was not designed to cover ones stupidity....... but you already admitted that.

I have portable device insurance, not home, sorry should have stated that.

WhyTheFace wrote: »
    I have portable device insurance, not home, sorry should have stated that.

well then it comes down purly to the wording of the policy. The main thing to check is any exclusions under theft and also the coverage locations.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Usually they ask you if you left your item unattended, if you did, then no claim.

Also if you think it was stolen you need to report it to police asap and get a ref number.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

You can't get insurance to cover stupidity I'm afraid.

You should check with the pub if they have CCTV of the night in question and take it from there...

• Advertisement

tallpaul wrote: »

very true, but insurance does cover theft so it comes down to the policy conditions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

tallpaul wrote: »
    It's a whole different debate, but yes you can. There are a whole load of circumstances where stupidity is the proximate cause of a loss

stupidity = neglegence = reason for insurance

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

I'd say you could be covered left a phone in a taxi, went into Car phone warehouse told them exactly what happened gave me a form get a gardai to stamp it 10 mind later ha a new phone.

Advertisement