Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beginner questions

Options
  • 12-12-2013 10:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Looking for some advice/pointers on gun ownership and what is required.

I've been to a few ranges in different countries and I've been clay shooting in Ireland.

I'd like to get into hunting but I'm not sure where I start. Should I be joining a club/range and working from there?

Could anyone recommend a club in Dublin?

Cheers for th help.

Mike

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Padd2

Hi folks,

I've been to a few ranges in different countries and I've been clay shooting in Ireland.

I'd like to get into hunting but I'm not sure where I start. Should I be joining a club/range and working from there?

Cheers for th help.

Mike

Call to your local Garda and get your paperwork

First decide on what your gonna hunt

Then choose a suitable firearm

Go to a rfd choose your gun.

Get all details and fill out your licence
    form

Join a gun club or range

Call to your local
    Garda and hand in your application and wait :/

Don't be too worried once the form is complete and you've shown you've a genuine interst or need to have a firearm you should be ok ;)
    IMO apply for a shot gun if it's your first gun
    Paddy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Padd2 wrote: »
    Call to your local Garda and get your paperwork

First decide on what your gonna hunt

Then choose a suitable firearm

Go to a rfd choose your gun.

Get all details and fill out your licence
    form

Join a gun club or range

Call to your local
    Garda and hand in your application and wait :/

Don't be too worried once the form is complete and you've shown you've a genuine interst or need to have a firearm you should be ok ;)
    IMO apply for a shot gun if it's your first gun
    Paddy

Cheers paddy,

What is an rdf and where would I find one? Would you recommend any club/range?

Cheers for the help, I'm flying pretty blind here!

Cheers paddy,

What is an rdf and where would I find one? Would you recommend any club/range?

Cheers for the help, I'm flying pretty blind here!

Rfd is registered firearms dealer

I'd say you'd be better off joining a good Gunclub ;)
    And state you intend to shoot clay pigeon
    They like to see that in the application
    Pm me of us like a phone call or text for more info
    Paddy

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

As was said above you need to decide on the type of shooting you want to do. This will determine the type of firearm you want. Your two choices are shotgun or rifle. Once you have determined which suits you best or you prefer your next step is to pick a firearm.

Go to as many registered firearm dealers (RFD) as you can. Do not rush the decision. Its can be a long enough process to get the license so you cannot pick, choose, change your mind, pick, choose, change your mind once the license process has begun.
    Go out and try as many makes/models of the gun/caliber you would most like, but keep an open mind to others as sometimes you end up buying a gun you did not intend to buy.

Once you have a gun, make/model chosen you then need to apply for a license. The red announcement at the top of the main shooting page will give you all the basics. Anything else you need can be asked here. In short you need;
    • An FCA1 (application form)
    • Letter of sale from dealer with firearm details
    • Photos x 2
    • Referees to vouch for your character x 2
    • Medical details
    • Range details including membership number and copy of membership card.
    • Seperate sheet of paper with an explanation as to why you want this firearm plus explanations for a mod (silencer) if you choose to get one.
    • A witness to sign the application.
    • All secure acomodation requirements in place as there is a box you must tick to say you have them in place.
    The applcaition can take from 4 weeks to 3 months, and some have even waited up to a year for their license. It is meant to be done within a 3 month time period, but this does not always happen depending on which Garda district you are in.

Once a decision has been made you will receive a receipt letter followed shortly after by a grant letter (if successful) to say you have been granted the license. You can take this and pay your €80 at the post office and within 3-5 day your license will arrive in the post. You can do as some do and use the grant letter, and receipt of payment at the post office to show your license is on the way, but for the sake of a couple of days i don't personally see the need.
    There is a difference between a gun club and a range. One is a club of hunters/shooters that shoot game, etc on lands owned/leased/given to them. The other is a target environment which has targets, members, fees, etc. and is a fixed location. You can apply as a member of a range, for target shooting and for hunting on the FCA1. It does not have to be one or the other.
    You may join a gun club or you may submit an application based on two separate, individual permissions given to you by two land owners/farmers. Either would suffice.
    Google NARGC. They have the largest number of clubs, and you can contact them to ask what clubs are closest to you.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

Good advice from Padd2 and Cass
    But I would recommend that you walk out with a few hunters before going through any process. There are shooters and there are hunters. The membership of my club is mainly made up of shooters whose only quarry are clay pigeons and paper. Some guys try the hunting scene and its not for them.
    There are plenty of fine guns and rifles sitting on Registered Firearms Dealers (RFD) shelves belonging to people who thought they'd like a spot of hunting.

It's a brilliant pastime but regardless what some here tell you its costly enough to get into and requires maintenance both financialy and time wise. There's early starts or late finishes, poor weather conditions are preferable to most hunting (with the exception of good pigeon decoying in late summer), many many many blank days when you go home with nothing. 99% of the time a car is a must as is a understanding life partner.

Now they where the warts, but otherwise there's nothing like it for sense of achievement, comradeship, solitude when you want it and of course crack. There's nothing more satisfying then eating something you've hunted, prepared and cooked yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭Dian Cecht

On the range & hunting are totally different things.

As cookimonster said if you've not been hunting try going out with a few lads a few times before you spend any money.

Ya what these lads said 😮

Advertisement