Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A Decent Wallet ?

• 12-12-2013 11:16am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,082 ✭✭✭

I'm on the lookout for a decent leather wallet:

Black
    No coin purse
    No Insert
    Room for six/eight cards
    ID slot for driving licence (CC sized)
    Euro note sized
    No Clip to hold it closed
    No Branding
    No heavy grain.

Just plain, simple, timeless. Think I can find it ? That would be a resounding no.

Gentlemen & Ladies (I know you're allowed into the gentlemen's club at specified times), unleash the search engines. Online or B&M in Dublin. Upper price about €30

Failing this, I'm open to suggestions based on your own experience. I mostly carry cards so may be more open to a card wallet rather than full sized.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭nc6000

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

I have a penguin wallet which ticks all the above boxes - you can get them in TK Maxx for under €20 and they're a great investment.

I love Penguin stuff as it's good quality and lasts a long time so be sure to give a look for them - love the wallet I got there, had it about 6 months or so and it's as new still.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 109 ✭✭Alidee

Another fan of TK Maxx for some stuff, but usually very good range of lovely quality wallets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I have the capsule.

Absolutely perfect, first wallet I've ever been happy with. No bulk, no clasps, just simple and small and fits neatly in your pocket without any bulge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Might sound sh1t but Dublin Bus do a free leather (look) card wallet. Available in the HQ on O'Connell St.

Credit card size, plain black with an unnoticeable DB logo on it, 8/10 card slots with two laminated ID holders on either end.

I find it brilliant.

No cash slot which means I keep my cash solo in my right hand ass pocket and the wallet in my left hand front pocket.

You could use a card slot for cash if you wanted, but separating means if the dreaded happens you've lost no cash so you're not stuck and you just have to cancel and re-order your cards.

Plus when it starts to look worn, pop up to O'Connell St and get another, free.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭yeppydeppy

OP you descibe the exact wallet I'm always on the look out for - I have one matching it at the moment but it was a present from the US so I'm not sure what shop it came from. As they don't have the longest life span I'll be avidly following this thread.
    Why do wallet makers think we need coin holders, little stappy buttons to close it and a second small wallet as an insert? And why oh why do you think I'm going to pay for something with your name stamped all over it? If you want me to advertise your product then give it to me for free!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,082 ✭✭✭OU812

yeppydeppy wrote: »
    OP you descibe the exact wallet I'm always on the look out for - I have one matching it at the moment but it was a present from the US <SNIP>

My current one (which is exactly as described above) is also from the US. Picked up in a market about ten years ago & sadly starting to disintegrate :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

jester77 wrote: »
    I have the capsule.

Absolutely perfect, first wallet I've ever been happy with. No bulk, no clasps, just simple and small and fits neatly in your pocket without any bulge.

Looks great.

It goes against my main rule for buying a wallet - don't spend more money on it than you would put in it.

Looks great.

It goes against my main rule for buying a wallet - don't spend more money on it than you would put in it.

I always thought that as well, but after years of searching for a minimalistic wallet with 0 luck I gave in and threw money at the guys kickstarter project. He seems to be doing OK for himself, there was only 2 or 3 options back then. It's not that steep in the long run, I've gone through a lot of wallets over the years due to then falling apart or finding a slightly better one. I will be sticking with this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 881 ✭✭✭censuspro

jester77 wrote: »
    I have the capsule.

the only problem with this wallet and alot of the slimmer ones in general is that euro notes are wider than dollar which means your notes will get ripped on the side.

• Advertisement

censuspro wrote: »
    the only problem with this wallet and alot of the slimmer ones in general is that euro notes are wider than dollar which means your notes will get ripped on the side.

The Euro notes fit perfectly in it, you put them in left to right and not the way the dollar bills are put in on the video. I'll upload a photo to show.

284452.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

I have a wallet must be 15 years old, Bank of Ireland gave it to me when I opened my 1st account for my first job.

15 years and its still in great condition anyone else have one of them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭yeppydeppy

That guys voice is really annoying and the cash strap thing doesn't look like a great solution. It appears you have to take all your notes out every time you're going to use one and then it's a bit fiddly looking putting them back in - no thanks I'll stick to a slim wallet where you can easily select the note you want and pull it out on its own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Ted Baker or Hugo Boss
    You'll get years out of them and are worth the extra few bob.

Although i had the odd River Island one years ago and thought they were ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 588 ✭✭✭t'bear

OP, not sure this ticks all your boxes but I was intrigued to see it in the flesh. Tower jewellers in Blanch stocks them.

http://www.secrid.nl/en/

Don't have one myself, but wouldn't mind one. Although 4 is pushing it a bit :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 881 ✭✭✭censuspro

t'bear wrote: »
    OP, not sure this ticks all your boxes but I was intrigued to see it in the flesh. Tower jewellers in Blanch stocks them.

Don't have one myself, but wouldn't mind one. Although 4 is pushing it a bit :-)

Sorry how much are they?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 511 ✭✭✭D Hayes

Saw an ad while on boards for this the other day, looks very slick.

http://bellroy.com/wallets/slim-sleeve-wallet#black

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,082 ✭✭✭OU812

t'bear wrote: »

Too girly. The clasp & being available in "aquamarine". I had to look that up, I thought they were making it up as a colour.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭A V A

so im looking for a decent wallet as mine is like luggin a gym bag around an i dont go to the gym! i do see lads with these really good wallet gadgets wher it holds the cards and the notes and has a pull and grab kinda clip for easy access for the notes. i was thinking of basically getting a card holder or something because i only use 2 or 3 cards at most when im out and i dont have a "moth" so i have money to put in the thing :P

have you got one yourself? what sites did you buy it from ? was it an irish site?

if you got any advice or shops in dublin or online, point me in the right direction :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

http://www.thegadgetstore.ie/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_id=164
    Is that the type of thing you are thinking of?

A mate of mine bought the above and loves it. Not my type of thing though. I like a nice brown leather wallet. I have 2 at the moment (one I bought for myself and one I got as a present) from Tommy Hilfiger and love them

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Merged threads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭cade

OP, in my searching these two were the closest I could find to your criteria.

Wallet 1

Wallet 2

This thread has made me realise the sorry state that my current wallet is in, so I thought as a departure to the standard leather wallet I'd treat myself to one of these.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭Shane732

http://www.gucci.com/ie/styles/233100ARU0R1000#

I got the above wallet two years and must say I do like it. It's expensive but I'm hoping it'll last me a good while.

Advertisement