Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Official Off Topic Thread

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭SRFC

UrbanSea wrote: »
    I need some wise advice from ye. Take away or not to take away

You live once may aswell live like its your last :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Having touched 1.05 and millions done on it I went againt it. Will feel like **** if I do

Any hope of racing in cork the weekend no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,339 ✭✭✭convert

This evening's news bulletin had reported that racing would go ahead and that there wouldn't be need for another inspection. They've obviously not considered that this could happen given the weather forecast: http://www.thejournal.ie/news-fix-thursday-4-1246453-Jan2014/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭BumperD

Cork city floods all the time. I recall in 2009 when they tried to drown themselves by opening the dam :)

They love water down there

Just watched the ROG documentary. Looking back, what he achieved was remarkable really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭ste2010

Watched ROG tonight, but after watchd the Donal Walshe documentary on RTE player...this should be mandatory to watch for every person who speaks english..life changing..

Who exactly gave that muppet simon maplefoft the title of all ''weather expert'' he couldnt tip sh*t out've a bucket typical mug presenter ''fav is the one to beat'' ''2nd fav is a big danger'' ''3rd fav each way chance'' :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,173 ✭✭✭hucklebuck

SRFC wrote: »
    Who exactly gave that muppet simon maplefoft the title of all ''weather expert'' he couldnt tip sh*t out've a bucket typical mug presenter ''fav is the one to beat'' ''2nd fav is a big danger'' ''3rd fav each way chance'' :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I am sensing that you do not like him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

Betfair now have a market on teams NOT to win The World Cup

Do people not understand laying??

• Advertisement

On the bus watching Train spotting. Oh makes me crave. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭MyStubbleItches

On the bus watching Train spotting. Oh makes me crave. :pac:

Sounds better than being on the train watching Bus Spotting.

Reservoir Dogs on tg4 love it

Reservoir Dogs Madrai Reservoir on tg4 love it

FYP

Betfair now have a market on teams NOT to win The World Cup

Do people not understand laying??

I do so I am going to that market to lay Brazil, cause I think they will win it. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭brandon_flowers

Something that just caught my eye....

Nice exchange between Barry Geragthy and Jonjo Bright on Twitter. Nice to see Jonjo is doing alright and nice to see the other boys in the weighing room are still keeping in touch.

Geraghty is one of the good people in racing,got lucky with mick fitz retiring,

Got a new laptop today top spec 210 euro off in pc world,hard getting used to the windows 8.

Good luck to Windows 8 looks an absolute pain.

I am thinking of getting a degree in programming and starting afresh, does anyone here have a degree in computing or could you recommend a course?

• Advertisement

hucklebuck wrote: »
    I am thinking of getting a degree in programming and starting afresh, does anyone here have a degree in computing or could you recommend a course?

What kind of programming? What's your end goal? I know C# and HTML5 is all
    the rage

Good luck to Windows 8 looks an absolute pain.

Install a start button & use like W7

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭The Walsho

Geraghty is one of the good people in racing,got lucky with mick fitz retiring,

Got a new laptop today top spec 210 euro off in pc world,hard getting used to the windows 8.

This programme lets you alter Windows 8 to appear like one of the older versions. Free and easy to install. http://www.classicshell.net/

ste2010 wrote: »
    What kind of programming? What's your end goal? I know C# and HTML5 is all
    the rage

Thats the thing I am not sure what type of programming but, I was thinking HTML5 / Java would be good ones to have up my sleeve.

IT Blanch have a few courses I was looking at but it starts at 6pm so I would need to get out of work early.

I am an insurance underwriter who has worked in a broker and in reinsurance so I might call Liberty and she what skills they need for their IT jobs coming on stream in next 2 years as working in Blanch would be dead handy. I am going to see what Paddy Powers look for when hiring programmers too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭jimjamcos

Reading on twitter that Corbally Ghost has died. Sad as I know you were a big fan, Urban. Meade has had little luck with his best ones.

hucklebuck wrote: »
    Thats the thing I am not sure what type of programming but, I was thinking HTML5 / Java would be good ones to have up my sleeve.

IT Blanch have a few courses I was looking at but it starts at 6pm so I would need to get out of work early.

I am an insurance underwriter who has worked in a broker and in reinsurance so I might call Liberty and she what skills they need for their IT jobs coming on stream in next 2 years as working in Blanch would be dead handy. I am going to see what Paddy Powers look for when hiring programmers too.

Personally I think you need to think about what you want out of it to understand the amount of time you should dedicate to
    A course?
    Do you want to be a programmer, Translating and writing code 6-8 hours per day and testing that it works?
    Do you want to understand how it works for something for your own business or build your own tools?
    Or do you want sufficient knowledge to work in an area of IT which doesn't involve actually coding by involves knowledge of coding?
    I am working as a PM and work with programmers, I know basic code and concepts but learnt these through experience. That's sufficient for my job but if I wanted to be a developer id need to study. I think the best way to think about programming is would you like to sit at a desk drafting maths formulas and translating business or technical requirements into code like transalting a language.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭maximo31

Don't know much about programming but saw this over on Bargain Alerts and thought you might find it some way useful. :
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057115744

jimjamcos wrote: »
    Reading on twitter that Corbally Ghost has died. Sad as I know you were a big fan, Urban. Meade has had little luck with his best ones.

What a shame thought he ran really well behind Champagne Fever

maximo31 wrote: »
    Don't know much about programming but saw this over on Bargain Alerts and thought you might find it some way useful. :

This is amazing thank you!!!

jimjamcos wrote: »

Did that happen after racing at navan last month (20th?) Saw a grey go wrong on the home bend in the post race gallops. Feared the worst.

Lads is there anyways of locking your screen on the laptop so it cant change from 100% zoom?

• Advertisement

Lads is there anyways of locking your screen on the laptop so it cant change from 100% zoom?

You just have to delete system 32 first

You just have to delete system 32 first

In english? :pac:

Great link

Hucklebuck have you considered becoming a male prostitute?

Personally I think you need to think about what you want out of it to understand the amount of time you should dedicate to
    A course?
    Do you want to be a programmer, Translating and writing code 6-8 hours per day and testing that it works?
    Do you want to understand how it works for something for your own business or build your own tools?
    Or do you want sufficient knowledge to work in an area of IT which doesn't involve actually coding by involves knowledge of coding?
    I am working as a PM and work with programmers, I know basic code and concepts but learnt these through experience. That's sufficient for my job but if I wanted to be a developer id need to study. I think the best way to think about programming is would you like to sit at a desk drafting maths formulas and translating business or technical requirements into code like transalting a language.

Cheers mate.

I want to be a programmer/ engineer and a friend of mine told me a few years ago he was getting quite a few calls asking if he had insurance experience for jobs.

I did one year of the Computer course in Carlow IT and the subjects were data systems (architecture of computers), programming (pascal) and maths with data systems being my worst module as it was all reading. I also did a 12 week course in Griffith College using C and got a cert of it. I am well able to program so that is why I would like to get back into it plus I know from Carlow what the course should entail.

I am going to ring the HR departments in Powers, Liberty and a few friends who are programmers/ engineers.

Cheers man

Watching the Horse Whisperer, Saturday afternoons are boring when there is crap racing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

HTML is quite easy really. Java is a good one to know and has quite a few similarities with C so if your already competent with C you should have no problems with that.
    Google W3C schools - lots of HTML tutorials there for help.
    I would say a software development course would be a good one to do and they teach such courses in most colleges around.

Christ this isn't too hotty from Scotty

Southampton 1 up against Burnley.

Hopefully they end up in Wembley :pac:

• Advertisement

Not sure what you mean?

Southampton 1 up against Burnley.

Hopefully they end up in Wembley :pac:

2-0

*singing voice*

Saints are on their way to Wembley.....

Not sure what you mean?

Think he means change the setting to default always to 100%.

Maybe try settings, then view or options, might be there but not sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

2-0

*singing voice*

Saints are on their way to Wembley.....

You a saints fan colonel or just the bet you have going? Or both? ;)

kiers47 wrote: »
    You a saints fan colonel or just the bet you have going? Or both? ;)

40s for the FA Cup :pac:

My brother in law is actually a Southampton fan, the only one I know!

Sh!te hadnt checked the scores for a while, completely missed the fact that Burnley had fought back to 2-2!

Saints back in charge now

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭carpothepunk

Great few days punting for the forum. Have a few Fancy ones tonight to celebrate. Leann follains for myself. Hyup.

Watching the Horse Whisperer, Saturday afternoons are boring when there is crap racing

You should watch Ghost Whisperer instead, MUCH better :D

Sh!te hadnt checked the scores for a while, completely missed the fact that Burnley had fought back to 2-2!

Saints back in charge now

**** me, nail biting end

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭jimjamcos

I know the BDO has always been poor in comparison to PDC but my God, watching these matches today the difference in standard looks similar to that of Paralympics V Olympics. Some woeful throwing.

Advertisement