Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Official Off Topic Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

aidankkk wrote: »
    Bristol is just as handy..

What's the night life there like? Me and herself do it as a long weekend away.
    abarkie wrote: »
    Is your hotel cancellable?

It is at a cost afaik, picked up Aer Lingus flights for €52 quid each return late last night so all is good :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭longshotvalue

What's the night life there like? Me and herself do it as a long weekend away.

It is at a cost afaik, picked up Aer Lingus flights for €52 quid each return late last night so all is good :D

I always get the boat to Cheltenham but since my wife has been coming the last few years she tends to fly in to Bristol on the Tuesday or Wednesday. I luckboxed a very nice house for the week during the height of the recession on the outskirts of Cheltenham and stay there .

Night life in cheltenham during the festival is great crack, every day except Friday maybe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Bringing your wimmin to Cheltenham..

Shergar is turning in his grave.

aidankkk wrote: »

Night life in cheltenham during the festival is great crack, every day except Friday maybe.

Meant in Bristol :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭BumperD

Another 100/1 shot today tough punting environment for last few months haven’t bothered having a bet since end December we are in that funny season between big festivals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭munster87

BumperD wrote: »
    Another 100/1 shot today tough punting environment for last few months haven’t bothered having a bet since end December we are in that funny season between big festivals

Backed El Torito today in Chelmsford at 12s. Didn't get to watch it but followed the text commentary on the racing post app. Especially liked the quote 'El Torito got murdered and is one to note'. Must watch the race back and see how bad he was hampered. Sums it up really! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

See in one of the tabloids some punter took a quick gallop into a bookie in Limerick yesterday, probably trying to put a pony on, as you do.
    https://www.thesun.ie/news/2073467/bizarre-moment-gambler-rides-into-limerick-betting-shop-on-the-back-of-a-shetland-pony/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

I think it is illegal to be in a bookies till you are eighteen, I don't think they needed to include the age of the lad they interviewed in the article

Th animal I feel sorry for (the four legged one)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭zimmermania

See in one of the tabloids some punter took a quick gallop into a bookie in Limerick yesterday, probably trying to put a pony on, as you do.
    https://www.thesun.ie/news/2073467/bizarre-moment-gambler-rides-into-limerick-betting-shop-on-the-back-of-a-shetland-pony/

A bit unlucky,unseated after failing to negotiate the table bend,just goes to show the Rubber Bandits were on the ball with F--- YOUR mitsubishi iv'e a horse outside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kksaints

Sad to hear about Richard Wollacott death at only 40 years of age not too long after Beer Goggles great success at Newbury in the long distance.

https://www.racingpost.com/news/news/trainer-woollacott-dies-aged-40/316767?utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=Social&utm_campaign=Tuesday%20News&utm_content=Richard%20Woollacott

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

Any thoughts on the Thyestes? Think Wounded Warrior might be worth a good look if he gets a run. Handicappers really giving him a chance and he ran well for a fairly long way at Fairyhouse.

https://www.racingpost.com/news/news/phil-middleton-in-the-money-as-holly-bush-henry-nets-trainer-50000-from-bet/316693

100ew yankee “social” bets that’s a 2,200 bet on a Saturday or near 10k a month just betting each Saturday he must be made of cash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

https://www.racingpost.com/news/news/phil-middleton-in-the-money-as-holly-bush-henry-nets-trainer-50000-from-bet/316693

100ew yankee “social” bets that’s a 2,200 bet on a Saturday or near 10k a month just betting each Saturday he must be made of cash.

The funny thing is he is boasting about winning over 50k and I dont remember seeing this type of story about him every 20 weeks. #gamebytheballs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Fanny Wank

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,827 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Got a bit of a word from a fella who usually does provide good tips from Dundalk for Wooster in the 6pm. Have not been able to pick my own nose in the last few weeks, so have taken a punt.

Star Sports tweeted they laid 20k Mr Whitaker at 5/1. 8.2 on Betfair. The kind of punter you'd pay for his taxis to and from your office

Fanny **** wrote: »
    Star Sports tweeted they laid 20k Mr Whitaker at 5/1. 8.2 on Betfair. The kind of punter you'd pay for his taxis to and from your office

He's a happy man

He's a happy man

Could be happier. Left 40k+ on the table

was there 20K available at 8's on bf?

• Advertisement

was there 20K available at 8's on bf?

No idea what was there but you'd definitely have got filled at 7.0+

Probably not all in one go but in dribs and drabs with patience

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

Could be happier. Left 40k+ on the table

No he didnt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭ste2010

Long time lads! I'm heading to chelt march again and for a change I'm considering staying in Bristol or Birmingham for a change of scene at night time! Can anyone recommend one over the other for nightlife?

Welcome back Ste!!!!!!

Welcome back Ste!!!!!!

Just the 4 years 😂😂! I've had a growing family which took my time away from boards..now that my priorities are straightened out again 😀 I'm back!

Congrats on the family! I havent stayed in either. I stick around closer to track but i few here will give you pointers on one over the other

Congrats on the family! I havent stayed in either. I stick around closer to track but i few here will give you pointers on one over the other

Cheers bumperd, yeh have been debating whether I do the same but this year thinking of trying the city for a change! I know it won't have the same festival buzz but wouldn't mind something new either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

ste2010 wrote: »
    Long time lads! I'm heading to chelt march again and for a change I'm considering staying in Bristol or Birmingham for a change of scene at night time! Can anyone recommend one over the other for nightlife?

Birmingham for me, done both and Bristol is a student town, nothing else really going on there. But maybe I'm just too old for students :D

Haven't done Bristol, but the nightlife in Birmingham is great. Broad St and the surrounding areas do be hopping Fri & Sat.

Welcome back Ste, congrats on the 4 children....

I stayed in Bristol once for two nights and I may as well have stayed in, very quiet for my liking

• Advertisement

Thanks guys! Sounds like there is consensus for Birmingham or the home of racing !

Whisper has been ruled out for the season by Henderson.

https://www.sportinglife.com/racing/news/whisper-ruled-out-for-the-season/142276

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Tom Malone went to £400k for Envoi Allen out of the Bowes yard at the Cheltenham sales

Joseph O Brien went to 410k for Dlauro from The Monbeg Stables as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭WickIow Brave

Tom Malone went to £400k for Envoi Allen out of the Bowes yard at the Cheltenham sales

That Tom Malone fella just spend fortunes on everything. Some man for spending other people's money. Literally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭longshotvalue

Bonfire of money. More chance of wining euro millions that making any profit incl training fees over either horses lifetime.

The Bowes have the game solved all the same, they always seem to be getting top for something each year.

To be fair I don't think any buyers think they'll make money (on average) with these horses. It's rich people throwing cash around looking for "Saturday horses" and Cheltenham winners at all costs.

Even still, prices are completely out of hand. It's utter madness at this stage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Turns out the crowd that own Cheveley Park bought Envoi Allen and it's off to Gordon Elliotts

I was reminded during the week of a funny experience at last years festival. I was standing in the stands beside this smarty dressed woman in her late 20’s (quite a stunner too ) and a few older people with the usual tweed etc. anyway everyone was shouting for their horse as they rounded the home bend when finally as the winner (outsider) surged clear in the final 100 yards up the hill the only voice everyone could hear was hers, clutching a docket in her raised first shouting at the top of her lungs in a cockney accent “YES, YEAH, YES, GET THE FUXK IN!!”.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭show me the money.1

To be fair I don't think any buyers think they'll make money (on average) with these horses. It's rich people throwing cash around looking for "Saturday horses" and Cheltenham winners at all costs.

Even still, prices are completely out of hand. It's utter madness at this stage

But it is great for small Irish owners and breeder's a lot of money can be made if they find/breed an exceptional horse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Earendil

I was reminded during the week of a funny experience at last years festival. I was standing in the stands beside this smarty dressed woman in her late 20’s (quite a stunner too ) and a few older people with the usual tweed etc. anyway everyone was shouting for their horse as they rounded the home bend when finally as the winner (outsider) surged clear in the final 100 yards up the hill the only voice everyone could hear was hers, clutching a docket in her raised first shouting at the top of her lungs in a cockney accent “YES, YEAH, YES, GET THE FUXK IN!!”.

And did you Bumper? :pac:

But it is great for small Irish owners and breeder's a lot of money can be made if they find/breed an exceptional horse.

Absolutely, hate the game not the player

Worst story board.ie EVER.

:cool:

Slattsy wrote: »
    Worst story board.ie EVER.

:cool:

You tell one :)

Earendil wrote: »
    And did you Bumper? :pac:

Part II of the story to follow on champion hurdle day

Regards,
    Dick Francis ( :) )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭akelly02

Judging by the racing post, spencer had another peach on the 4/11 shot there at lingfield. Hes a gas man our frank

• Advertisement

You tell one :)

None of mine are clean enough for boards !

Slattsy wrote: »
    None of mine are clean enough for boards !

Jokes or jocks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,543 ✭✭✭droidman123

Shemale wrote: »
    Jokes or jocks

I would say both!

Welcome back lads!

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭DylanAFC

What time approx do the early prices come out for the next days racing lads?

• Advertisement
Advertisement