Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Official Off Topic Thread

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

Gas craic reading that Horse/Greyhound Gambling forum :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭BumperD

Small stakes at €124 a pop. Piss easy this game.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭munster87

BumperD wrote: »

That’s some stake considering the very lengthy losing streaks he’s had. Must have heavy losses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭pearcider

Have you ever posted a winner pal? Usually you put up some evens fave de Sousa rag that gets beaten. Oh cheers for posting up a 5/2 shot really appreciate it!! Get rich or die trying eh?

Your sournesss speaks volumes to any impartial observer. Zimmer is on another level to you altogether. He wasn't far off landing a huge 5 timer there and it was posted well in advance of the races. I followed him with small stakes and made a few hundred. I made loads from a lucky 15 he landed a year or so back. Have you ever landed a lucky 15 and posted it here?

As for his unbelievable stake. It's not unusual that punters would stake hundreds or even thousands on one of the biggest racing meets of the season. It wouldn't be for me now but for serious people who study the form, 124 quid would be small stakes.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

6 minutes after the race thank god for money back if 2nd :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭akelly02

The Mig wrote: »
    6 minutes after the race thank god for money back if 2nd :pac:

internet must have been acting up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

akelly02 wrote: »
    internet must have been acting up

Was probably to wind up all the salty haters, working a charm I see :D

Harry Cobden on 4 favourites at newton abbott today

beaten on all 4 , including a 2/13 shot!

another odds on also turned over

say his confidence is sky high.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,723 ✭✭✭zimmermania

The Mig wrote: »
    Gas craic reading that Horse/Greyhound Gambling forum :pac:

[mod edit: <snip>]

No need for insults.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,723 ✭✭✭zimmermania

[mod edit: <snip>]

Late tips while cracking a driver down the fifth by the absolute birdies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,339 ✭✭✭convert

Let's keep things civil, people. Enough of the petty arguing and snips.

Any way of recording the racing on ITV? Not on tv3 today it seems

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

What in the name of God is going on in France. Track must be in an awful state if jockeys are refusing to ride the race on it. In saying that it is France.
    US Navy Flag looked to nearly come down in the Poulains.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Fanny Wank

Summerville Boy MkII at Killarney tonight??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭kksaints

Timmy Murphy retiring from race riding. Always remember his ride on Tikram in the Mildmay of Fleet in 2004. It was coolness personified.

kksaints wrote: »
    Timmy Murphy retiring from race riding. Always remember his ride on Tikram in the Mildmay of Fleet in 2004. It was coolness personified.

Just posted this in the injured/retired thread.

That ride for me was an absolute peach too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Minimum bet on FOBT machines reduced from £100 to £2 finalised.

Bookies have claimed that this will result in betting shop closures in the UK (boo-hoo), but also decreased sponsorship of horse racing. Will be interesting to see how this plays out, will prize money for British racing be reduced, or can other sponsors be found to fill in the gap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

Bookies have claimed that this will result in betting shop closures in the UK (boo-hoo), but also decreased sponsorship of horse racing. Will be interesting to see how this plays out, will prize money for British racing be reduced, or can other sponsors be found to fill in the gap.

Maximum!

£100 was absolutely absurd anyway. A curse on society them feckin machines anyway, they are like a machine vending drugs to vunrable addicts.

danganabu wrote: »
    Maximum!

£100 was absolutely absurd anyway. A curse on society them feckin machines anyway, they are like a machine vending drugs to vunrable addicts.
    Oops, of course

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭longshotvalue

danganabu wrote: »
    Maximum!

I wonder with this is the £2 as small as it seems, is it max £ per bet on the likes of roulette or per spin.?

If its per bet, the way Ive seen that played, you can still bet more or less as much as you like on each spin

aidankkk wrote: »
    I wonder with this is the £2 as small as it seems, is it max £ per bet on the likes of roulette or per spin.?

If its per bet, the way Ive seen that played, you can still bet more or less as much as you like on each spin

It is per spin I believe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Yes in the UK £2 max, but is still wide open in the North, as there is no one in power able/available to enforce the new changes to the act in that region (but they still get paid all the same).

In terms of crying bookies, they've all seen +10/15% (1 day move!) on share prices since the US states have indicated they would open up around 32 states to the aul gambling. Superbowl's ad breaks are about to get a bit longer.

Anyone who plays virtual, rng's, FOBT's etc needs a head examination.

There was a story in the paper the other day about a Galway hurler, who blew 70k on bets, including it said 'Virtual Horses' - that's where he went wrong.

There was a story in the paper the other day about a Galway hurler, who blew 70k on bets, including it said 'Virtual Horses' - that's where he went wrong.

I remember a couple of years ago a lad losing the rag with a member of staff in PP as they didn't have the form for the virtual's on display..

I didn't even realize there was such a thing.
    People are so gullible its unreal.
    I swiftly went to the board and picked the 20/1 of the 5f 0-100 handicap in steepledowns as he had good course form, was well drawn and had had a wind op since his last run. :pac::pac:

I wonder will this actually help problem gamblers, or will it actually hurt the bookmakers at all. We don't have FOBT's in Ireland, but it doesn't stop problem gambling. I see lots of fellas who would walk into a bookies, slap €50 on some random dog race (they'd jump in front of the queue to get on because the race is just about to go off) before going onto the next, and the next until their money is gone.

I would be shocked if they didn't have ideas on how to rejig other betting events to simulate FOBT's. The virtual events would be a start.

I wonder will this actually help problem gamblers, or will it actually hurt the bookmakers at all. We don't have FOBT's in Ireland, but it doesn't stop problem gambling. I see lots of fellas who would walk into a bookies, slap €50 on some random dog race (they'd jump in front of the queue to get on because the race is just about to go off) before going onto the next, and the next until their money is gone.

I would be shocked if they didn't have ideas on how to rejig other betting events to simulate FOBT's. The virtual events would be a start.

On that actually. I notice lately(in the last couple of years) that most bookies are having these virtual roullete on the telly that people can bet on.
    Is there a max bet on these? Although in saying that im not sure ive ever seen anyone actually betting these.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭FatRat

Just looking at the Preakness stakes tonight, no interest in backing him in it at 4/9 but Justify to win the triple crown (tonight and the Belmont Stakes in June) is 2/1 with Bet365. I'm gonna have a punt on that. Don't think any of the horses over there are within reach of him.

Conditions look awful at pimlico in Maryland

Jesus I dunno 2/1 seems a bit skinny. It's incredibly hard on a horse to take in those 3 races in the space of a month.
    The Belmont especially tough as a lot of horses will skip the Preakness and come back for the Belmont fresher.

• Advertisement

They were bearing down him at the line

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭FatRat

Who is there to beat him is the question? That was not as impressive as I would've thought but the conditions were outrageous and how he was ridden - taking on good magic for most of the race - could have been his undoing inside the last furlong. Those horses closing on him should not have been that close. 3 weeks off now, I wouldn't be very worried about how he comes back to Belmont.

All that said, not as impressive as Id have thought. Ill see how he looks on Belmont day and might trade it out for small profit.

I know he was up with the pace but they didn't exactly go mental. The fractions were very steady. Perhaps even on the slow side.
    He is clearly the best horse there at this point of the season but the Belmont is a different kettle of fish and many potential triple crown contenders undoing.

Best of luck with your bet though FatRat. Would be some achievement for a Colt that didn't race last year too.

Actually the horse I thought was an ideal candidate for the Belmont was a horse that is under the same ownership but with Todd Pletcher in Audible.

I guess they will leave him at home after today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,931 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

horse that won the 6.45 main edition could be very good
    one for the notebook

Battash being smashed already for the temple on Saturday . Lump job

this made me laugh
    the vets brother for anyone who didn't read

Michael Brennan has refused to cooperate with the BHA's investigation and was excluded from the sport in October 2016, meaning he is barred from entering racecourses or racing stables and licensed individuals forbidden to associate with him.

what a surprise! :D

but seriously wouldn't it be great to be in the know

Fanny **** wrote: »
    Summerville Boy MkII at Killarney tonight??

Sold to Roger Brookhouse for £150,000 today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Johner wrote: »
    Yesterdays racing was shocking bar a few good races.

Looking forward to seeing how Madison to Monroe gets on in the bumper today. Gorgeous looking animal. Wonder if whoever named him is a fan of the actress. :pac:

19604-small.jpeg

I see this horse rocked up yesterday upped to 3m. Just remembered the name from this thread.

mailburner wrote: »
    horse that won the 6.45 main edition could be very good
    one for the notebook

this runs in the 6.40gd best at 13/8
    these newcomers will want to be good to beat it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

mailburner wrote: »
    this runs in the 6.40gd best at 13/8
    these newcomers will want to be good to beat it

Nice one serious horse they have won it in 2nd gear

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Earendil

naughto wrote: »
    Nice one serious horse they have won it in 2nd gear

Well done lads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭abarkie

Anyone know where I can get an Irish fixture list in Excel please?

http://www.hri-ras.ie/race-planning/provisional-summaries/

PDF linked. If you contact hri they might have them in excel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Are we allowed talk about the World Cup this summer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭droidman123

Slattsy wrote: »

No!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

Slattsy wrote: »

I don’t see why not what was the reason it was stoped before

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

All over France at 13/2. Was expecting them to be near favourites at 4 or 5s.

I think its between France and Spain personally.. But Spain really lacking a World class striker.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭munster87

I’ve gone with Germany/Muller top scorer double at 66/1 for interest

• Advertisement
Advertisement