Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Official Off Topic Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

High on my list of favourite songs

Reminds me of Wall Street ;)

Love this one from Morrissey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

Love Talking Heads, 77 is in one of my favorite albums and probably one of the best debut albums ever. Phsyco Killer is probably the highlight of an exceptional record.

Probably my favorite Morrissey track.

Maybe a strange question, trying to buy two tablets, any wiggle room on prices in bricks and mortar shops? Rarely a problem getting a cash discount on something like a fridge but are tablet prices closely regulated by manufacturers to stop haggling scum like me save a few pound ;)

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,173 ✭✭✭hucklebuck

Anyone ever use Flubit?

Never heard of it :confused:
    Maybe a strange question, trying to buy two tablets, any wiggle room on prices in bricks and mortar shops? Rarely a problem getting a cash discount on something like a fridge but are tablet prices closely regulated by manufacturers to stop haggling scum like me save a few pound ;)

I dunno but don't go to Harvey Norman they are dearer than the others, I find Power City great for prices. Have a scout on Amazon or Elara too.

My guilty musical pleasure is The Pointer Sisters, in particular this song, the one song that always gets me on the dancefloor:

This is the coolest version, Gold Cup day last year I did my usual Champagne Friday and after Ted Veale went in I started buying it and by the time we had cheered in AFC, Bobs Worth, Salsify, Salubrious and Alderwood I had bought another 6 bottles between the 4 of us and come 10pm I was dancing around singing it with a bottle of Moet in each hand like Michael Madsen:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Depends what brand Colonel if you're looking at an iPad or galaxy no chance, apple products are sold at cost they make margin on accessories, Samsung tablets mark up is under 5 percent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

This is the free money song. Always played after a nice win, ALWAYS!

mod edit: <snip>

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,873 ✭✭✭RichieLawlor

Ah it's good to be back. How's everyone been

It's nice to have you back Richie on this big day

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭jimjamcos

They're really dragging the ****e out of this Ballon D'Or ceremony. C'mon Cristiano...make me some moola!! :D

Edit: Atta boy Ronaldo. The 4/1 was nice :) Him blubbering like a baby when receiving it was very funny too! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Dunguib was a top class grade 1 horse Urban. 'Mighty' even

jimjamcos wrote: »
    They're really dragging the ****e out of this Ballon D'Or ceremony. C'mon Cristiano...make me some moola!! :D

Edit: Atta boy Ronaldo. The 4/1 was nice :) Him blubbering like a baby when receiving it was very funny too! :pac:

Backed him at 2's during his hattick match vs Sweden. Did my account no favours that one

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Backed him at 2's during his hattick match vs Sweden. Did my account no favours that one

He was something crazy like 10's the week before I backed him and was 3's and shorter soon after. Don't know why I didn't back him at 10's though. Utterly ridiculous price for a two horse race. Hindsight eh! :rolleyes:

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Dunguib was a top class grade 1 horse Urban. 'Mighty' even
    Doesn't matter what he beat because he beat them so far

Hope your mans argument gets more likes

You're top class when third beaten under 2 lengths in a Supreme

Backed Villa tonight

• Advertisement

UrbanSea wrote: »
    Backed Villa tonight

Yeah I layed Arsenal. Arsenal are a good bit too short now because every single favourite imaginable won at the weekend, so there's probably untold money rolling onto Arsenal tonight in accums

The daily question to top all others. To take away or not

Good god villa are awful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,339 ✭✭✭convert

Take away... Definitely take away.... Unless, of course, there's steak at home!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭carpothepunk

Did a lamb Roganjosh myself, and have an Innis and gunn here. Backed arsenal too. Good night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

Which Innis and Gunn?

Did a lamb Roganjosh myself

Never heard of that position!!!

I loved Lamb Passanda but all that bollox about the red spice and it's can't be got anywhere anymore :mad::mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭MyStubbleItches

have an Innis and gunn here.

That stuff is nectar. The rum aged one especially but it's harder to find. I could do with a few now, being forced to watch Insidious 2. My nut sack has disappeared.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,339 ✭✭✭convert

Guys, c'mon.... You've already been warned about commenting about other users....

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭carpothepunk

Lyaiera wrote: »
    Which Innis and Gunn?

Rum cask. Serious tack.
    That stuff is nectar. The rum aged one especially but it's harder to find. I could do with a few now, being forced to watch Insidious 2. My nut sack has disappeared.

Tesco doing 3 for 9 at the minute. Stocked up on 6 of them for the fridge. seriously nice stuff.

Rum cask. Serious tack.

Tesco doing 3 for 9 at the minute. Stocked up on 6 of them for the fridge. seriously nice stuff.

That's me in Tesco tomorrow so. Cheers for the heads up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭ste2010

I was informed today by the Missus. When going for a bank loan or mortgage having betting account debits on your bank account goes against you when applying..that is pretty discriminative If you ask me. If your constantly winning loads do they pick up on that I wonder :-)
    Either way, accounts will be closed come April in the event I want to go house hunting again over the next 2 years

ste2010 wrote: »
    I was informed today by the Missus. When going for a bank loan or mortgage having betting account debits on your bank account goes against you when applying..that is pretty discriminative If you ask me. If your constantly winning loads do they pick up on that I wonder :-)
    Either way, accounts will be closed come April in the event I want to go house hunting again over the next 2 years

Even one 10 bet in 6 months is enough to get a no. I have been betting using an o2 card for the last 9 months, its a serious pain in the hoop especially if you arent winning. Now I cant get a mortgage as I am temporary employee even though I am in the job 15 months, the wife is a teacher and mortgage will only be 200k - 250k due to savings and selling my house. FFS.

Use a seperate bank account

Not only eliminates the problems outlined but takes any variance in betting outcomes out of your weekly cashflow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭BumperD

I just check oddschecker in the morning, find best odds and use cash at shop so never have temptation of an impulsive bet online ( I have to get in the car and drive). Like the idea of a separate account though,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭BumperD

I just check oddschecker in the morning, find best odds and use cash at shop so never have temptation of an impulsive bet online ( I have to get in the car and drive). Like the idea of a separate account though,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

Use a seperate bank account

Not only eliminates the problems outlined but takes any variance in betting outcomes out of your weekly cashflow

You will get done for bank charges then on the 2nd account as well as the current account,its pain in the ho?le,that's why cash is king.
    In saying that I have t put a bet on in a bookie shop in yrs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭hawaii501

2 months until Gold Cup day with Bobs Worth flying up the hill

Is it me or is it a little quiet in here

I'm feeling generous lads. First person to post gets a 100 quid free bet. Offer only good until 21.40

• Advertisement

Word on the street all ye gimps hate free bet$$$$$

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭NewApproach

There's no reason not to have a Moneybookers account, no matter what level of stakes you are betting. Removes transactions from the bank account, cash back on transfers, every betting company accepts it pretty much.

Didn't want your money anyway Urban!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭Luap

Paypal works with Paddy Power.

Frankel's first foal, to Chrysantheumum, has been born at Coolmore. Hopefully it's a good'n and they name it after St. Nic! :)

"A handsome bay colt with a white blaze, good head and great presence" is what the Coolmore PR machine has said.

St. Nic's death got me wondering. Why don't they use Artificial Insemination with horses as they do with cattle?

St. Nic's death got me wondering. Why don't they use Artificial Insemination with horses as they do with cattle?

There are heavy laws against it. Im not sure on the full details but i suspect it is got to do with the fact that the thoroughbred as we know is getting fairly close to inbreeding. AI would result in a stallion being able to cover as many mares as it is possible for them to be covered by AI. Which would be relatively unlimited.
    As everyone would want the top stallions Oscar, Milan, Gallileo etc.. this would result in a massively shrinking gene pool. And further down the line this would have huge repercussions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

Does anyone use the PP Cash Card?
    Is that completely free of bank detection or how does it work exactly?

kiers47 wrote: »
    There are heavy laws against it. Im not sure on the full details but i suspect it is got to do with the fact that the thoroughbred as we know is getting fairly close to inbreeding. AI would result in a stallion being able to cover as many mares as it is possible for them to be covered by AI. Which would be relatively unlimited.
    As everyone would want the top stallions Oscar, Milan, Gallileo etc.. this would result in a massively shrinking gene pool. And further down the line this would have huge repercussions.

I would have thought fees would take care of a lot of that. Still, makes sense to keep a rein on inbreeding. There was a documentary on not so long ago about this. It seems that through all the selective breeding they've managed to change the basic shape if a horse from backward leaning to forward leaning in a relatively short space of time. It was actually a bit frightening. No wonder the modern thoroughbred is so fragile.

only1stevo wrote: »
    Does anyone use the PP Cash Card?
    Is that completely free of bank detection or how does it work exactly?

I got one a few weeks ago but haven't registered it yet. They were set up to combat the problem of betting appearing on your bank records so, as long as you deal in cash, they are a 'safe' option.

• Advertisement
Advertisement