Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Off Topic Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

Jesus that’s pretty damning. Points 12-15 especially

• Registered Users Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭naughto

Up to there neck in it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

As much as I love racing, you'd just hope that this is reported properly by national media. People deserve to know what happens in racing on a daily basis.

This coming from a man who laughed at Dreal Deals win the other day so plenty of hypocrisy on my end.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Was reading it earlier, its a very comprehensive report. They've made sure they have gotten this right and will make an example out of Byrnes here. 6 months lenient.

Slattsy wrote: »
    Was reading it earlier, its a very comprehensive report. They've made sure they have gotten this right and will make an example out of Byrnes here. 6 months lenient.

Shockingly lenient.

Unlike other sports, this will only endear him to his main sponsor, Sir JP.

• Advertisement

Charles and his Far East friend

The Mig wrote: »
    Charles and his Far East friend

BumperD!! :eek:

:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

What I don't understand is why they needed to go to all those lengths ( no pun) to actually get the horse to lose? It does seem excessive to just win 3 grand or so?

If I was pulling horses I would make sure they were good ones and that they were going off a lot shorter than 8/1. You make a lot more money laying them at 4/6 etc.

It just seems like a hard enough way to scoop 3 phucking grand? How come it has taken them 2 years to nail him also?

BumperD!! :eek:

:D

Too busy laying Charles’ horses to update the 10 to follow :pac:

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    What I don't understand is why they needed to go to all those lengths ( no pun) to actually get the horse to lose? It does seem excessive to just win 3 grand or so?

If I was pulling horses I would make sure they were good ones and that they were going off a lot shorter than 8/1. You make a lot more money laying them at 4/6 etc.

It just seems like a hard enough way to scoop 3 phucking grand? How come it has taken them 2 years to nail him also?

You have to multiply that 3 grand by the other races he was fixing. It all accumulates. 3 grand for every jab.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,835 ✭✭✭kksaints

You have to multiply that 3 grand by the other races he was fixing. It all accumulates. 3 grand for every jab.

Point 15 is very interesting. While the board doesn't find any direct connection between Byrnes and the mysterious man placing the bets I wonder if the guards will investigate this. I'm not sure about Ireland but in some countries match fixing is a criminal offence. Byrne could be in further trouble if the guards get involved.

It still seems like a lot of hassle. If that is the case how come there is not more evidence to prove so? I am not saying they weren't at it , but ....

I can't help feeling this is tip of the iceberg stuff and that the HRI have gone for a soft target. To cover their own corrupt asses.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭famagusta

Jesus, thats bad!! Every race, every day there are horses not fully trying, some jockeys are masters at stopping horses. They are not putting the lives of the competing jockeys in danger though.

I don't understand why they had to give a sedative, did the jockey know?? would he have rode the horse if he'd known that? probably not. Thats extremely dangerous to him and all the others in the race.

It still seems like a lot of hassle. If that is the case how come there is not more evidence to prove so? I am not saying they weren't at it , but ....

I can't help feeling this is tip of the iceberg stuff and that the HRI have gone for a soft target. To cover their own corrupt asses.

Stop talking shíte, you know nothing about nothing.

famagusta wrote: »
    Jesus, thats bad!! Every race, every day there are horses not fully trying, some jockeys are masters at stopping horses. They are not putting the lives of the competing jockeys in danger though.

I don't understand why they had to give a sedative, did the jockey know?? would he have rode the horse if he'd known that? probably not. Thats extremely dangerous to him and all the others in the race.

Probably common? Was the horses given too much of it? Was the plan to ensure the horse was pulled up or to simply have it finish well beaten?

Its the end of Byrnes i'd say.

"Six months 'out of the game' :p " Is Charlie, says Angus on Racing TV - he knows :pac:

The two boys on the course - Donn McLean and the main on course correspondent (don't know his name - he's the jockey booking agent chap) for Irish meetings, apparently "just heard" (less than 10 mins ago they had this convo) :pac: , and it's been online close to two hours :D :rolleyes: about it, and "can't really comment"

Rancid sh1t altogether :mad:

A soft target? Charles Byrnes?:rolleyes:

A soft target? Charles Byrnes?:rolleyes:

I respect he has a rep for pulling tricks over the years. But he is not one of the bigger stables either. I don't think they are all that squeaky clean either, is the point I am trying to make.

I reckon the sport is riddled. It is highly likely that if you don't be on the go go juice you haven't a chance.

Stop talking shíte, you know nothing about nothing.

Pleeeeeeeeaaaaase. Don't go there. From the man doing his oats on Monday afternoon handicaps. Get a grip, you know phuck all either.

2016.11.28-Pot-Kettle-300x231.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

I dont know about the rest of ye, but the most worrying thing I took from the article/case was the fact that there was this third party entity facilitating untraceable exchange betting, thats a far bigger issue to me.

I respect he has a rep for pulling tricks over the years. But he is not one of the bigger stables either. I don't think they are all that squeaky clean either, is the point I am trying to make.

I reckon the sport is riddled. It is highly likely that if you don't be on the go go juice you haven't a chance.

I think it is the 'stop, stop' juice that is the worry! AFAIK all winners are subject to mandatory testing.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭zpehtsfd

Very strange that nothing showed up in the sample after the Galway race in July. Maybe they only took a blood sample and it would have been undetectable after 24hrs? Lucky they had taken that urine sample in Tramore or they'd never have found this.

Also check out the gambled on horse in that Galway race and what trainer he subsequently went to. You can't make this stuff up.

Pogue eile wrote: »
    I think it is the 'stop, stop' juice that is the worry! AFAIK all winners are subject to mandatory testing.

Tested for what though?

I mean who is in charge of testing? Who do they know?

I mean how many registered vets are there?

I remember a bird I know used to go racing with Vets up in Leopardstown. She would win a fortune. She would be texting tips, winners and places everywhere. I am not saying the vets she was with were drugging horses, but they certainly knew what was trying.

You can be sure whoever is at it has come up with a sophisticated plan for eliminating traces of any doping going on, they are not that stupid,

Tested for what though?

I mean who is in charge of testing? Who do they know?

I mean how many registered vets are there?

I remember a bird I know used to go racing with Vets up in Leopardstown. She would win a fortune. She would be texting tips, winners and places everywhere. I am not saying the vets she was with were drugging horses, but they certainly knew what was trying.

You can be sure whoever is at it has come up with a sophisticated plan for eliminating traces of any doping going on, they are not that stupid,

Tested for sugar :rolleyes: there is a freely available list of prohibited substances

Testing is overseen by the IRHB and outsourced to the Vetinary Council of Ireland, there is I think a special investigations unit in the Dept of Agriculture that do the out of racing testing - they were the ones who caught Philip Fenton if I remember correctly.

Sorry If I don't believe your story about the imaginary bird who had some insider information on systematic doping in Racing and decided to share it with all on sundry on WhatsApp :D:D

Sorry If I don't believe your story about the imaginary bird who had some insider information on systematic doping in Racing and decided to share it with all on sundry on WhatsApp :D:D

I am glad you find it funny?

It is phucking rotten if you ask me. You are obviously not getting my point either.

At this point it is not whether or not it is systematic at this point. The facts are all there now. It is looking ever more likely that the sport is riddled.

I am glad you are having a laugh at that, enjoy your giggle.

I am glad you find it funny?

It is phucking rotten if you ask me. You are obviously not getting my point either.

At this point it is not whether or not it is systematic at this point. The facts are all there now. It is looking ever more likely that the sport is riddled.

I am glad you are having a laugh at that, enjoy your giggle.

I am reminded of a quote from Slattsy, now what was it exactly.....

I am reminded of a quote from Slattsy, now what was it exactly.....

I suggest you take your head out of his hole first, just to have a look around at least.

This is getting ridiculous. Every single thread is being populated by that fella (now on the ignore list) contradicting himself at every juncture.

Moving on.. anyone hear Ruby on 2fm on the Byrnes news? Sounded like he was reading his lines off a script..
    Did say if they could know for sure who was in the stable that day the ban would be years, not months..

• Advertisement

This is getting ridiculous. Every single thread is being populated by that fella (now on the ignore list) contradicting himself at every juncture.

Moving on.. anyone hear Ruby on 2fm on the Byrnes news? Sounded like he was reading his lines off a script..
    Did say if they could know for sure who was in the stable that day the ban would be years, not months..

Well I mean the report of the proceedings pretty much read that 'we know you did it but we cant prove it' I am assuming, perhaps naively, that it would be a life time ban for the person who administered the drug?

Advertisement