Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Official Off Topic Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,173 ✭✭✭hucklebuck

Nice to finally see his nonsense getting decimated from all corners

There is an FAQ section if you are unsure how to follow a thread :rolleyes:

Small piece on Cheltenham gambles of days gone by. They gave Mc Coy **** all credit for Wichita "he looked in trouble turning in", I think they meant 2 miles out.

http://www.cheltenhamfestival.net/category/cheltenham-festival-history/cheltenham-festival-gambles-201402170006/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

Thing about "gambles" is there are twi types, the spectacular price collapse and when the whales wade in waist deep on a shorty, the 2nd type result in far more money won and lost. In fairness to the article the Likeabutterfly gamble would be in the latter camp

The biggest 2 I saw were Liberman in the 2003 bumper and Baracouda in the 2005 Stayers. I wasn't there for Denman in the 2006 RSA Hurdle but a few people have told me he was one of the best backed horses ever seen on a British racecourse, it seemed every bookie was standing him to their limit and every whale was unloading. I remember David Ashforth saying Carthy showed him his computer before the off and he was a loser for over £400,000. I saw a quote from John hughes about laying him to lose the price of a row of semi D houses in Newry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭BumperD

hucklebuck wrote: »
    Small piece on Cheltenham gambles of days gone by. They gave Mc Coy **** all credit for Wichita "he looked in trouble turning in", I think they meant 2 miles out.

http://www.cheltenhamfestival.net/category/cheltenham-festival-history/cheltenham-festival-gambles-201402170006/

Love reading anything that involves bookies taking a beating. Unfortunately, happens far too infrequently.

I wasn't there for Denman in the 2006 RSA Hurdle but a few people have told me he was one of the best backed horses ever seen on a British racecourse, it seemed every bookie was standing him to their limit and every whale was unloading. I remember David Ashforth saying Carthy showed him his computer before the off and he was a loser for over £400,000. I saw a quote from John hughes about laying him to lose the price of a row of semi D houses in Newry

Was that the Nicanor race :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Big on course gambles are an interesting dynamic. The big firms obviously don't want to lose but know that punters winnings, especially online, will likely be lost back. On course books will never see that cash again, so are taking bigger risks. I'd wonder how many don't hedge out. A few hit the rocks friday of last year I'd say

You can be sure a few hit the rocks, there were loads of reports of shops running out of cash and telling people to come back next week. I would brick having a big winning slip in my wallet for a few days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Lads this is a noob question, rp article says that 8 out of the 14 runners are out of the handicap

http://www.racingpost.com/horses2/cards/card.sd?race_id=594350&r_date=2014-02-22&big_race=Y&raceTabs=#raceTabs=lc_

Yet the conditions of the race says minimum weight is 10 stone. Does that not just leave Tour Des Champs a pound out?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭Luap

Lads flick over to More4 interesting documentary. :pac:

I must become a masker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭Luap

BumperD wrote: »
    I must become a masker.

I'm going to Cheltenham as one yee haw

This programme has to be a wind up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,359 ✭✭✭naughto

dident see the thread about this my bad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭tomaussie

Even when I'm in the old folks home with no memory of my life i will NEVER forget this race. I had no bet in the race but was walking past a bookies so I popped in to watch it.

My jaw was on the floor. I still don't understand what I saw. Been watching racing since I was 6-7 years of age but that ride will never be bettered. I'll never watch it again as I don't want to ruin the memory so I hope it is / was as good as I remember.

When me and my mates are talking sport and awesome performances (redmen in Istanbul 2005 always talked about) I always mention this ride but nobody gets it.

It even turned me into a Glen Campbell fan ffs.

I think his ride on Synchronised in already the most forgotten Gold Cup ever is shockingly underrated in comparison. He was at it from further out, plus the horse jumped like a drain

Was that the Nicanor race :eek:

That was the one alright. McCririck said it was "a privilege" to have been there reporting it

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    I think his ride on Synchronised in already the most forgotten Gold Cup ever is shockingly underrated in comparison. He was at it from further out, plus the horse jumped like a drain

That was a very good ride alright but I don't think I will ever see better than Wichita, I have watched it about once a month since, spellbinding stuff.

Got the following e-mail yesterday, any of my learned NFL supporting colleagues care to comment:
    Some decent bets on the draft, it's not on until May but the odds compilers seem way off. Ladbrokes have these bets up; note it's 32 picks per round.

Michael Sam over 79.5, not much chance he goes before round 4, Bovada.com have him over/under 125.5. Might be a small risk here as he came out last week which could see some sort of weird protest draft but chances are he will be drafted later as a result.

AJ McCarron is over 39.5, no chance he goes before the late 3rd round, this is free money I think.

Both bets are 4/5.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭BQQ

UrbanSea wrote: »
    Lads this is a noob question, rp article says that 8 out of the 14 runners are out of the handicap

http://www.racingpost.com/horses2/cards/card.sd?race_id=594350&r_date=2014-02-22&big_race=Y&raceTabs=#raceTabs=lc_

Yet the conditions of the race says minimum weight is 10 stone. Does that not just leave Tour Des Champs a pound out?

I don't think those weights are right.
    Sporting life.com has 8 of them carrying under ten stone.

Got the following e-mail yesterday, any of my learned NFL supporting colleagues care to comment:

I know nothing about Michael Sam, but the AJ McCarron bet looks a complete steal

• Advertisement

Micheal Sam is value the mocks are telling me. Mccarron is a defar/dibaba sized rick

English please Hulk

Back it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭carpothepunk

Just absolutely steamed into McCarron. Won't be touching sam as absolutely no clue what his media coverage will do. Rules out lots of teams, but some socially aware teams might take a punt on him for some good pr.

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Micheal Sam is value the mocks are telling me. Mccarron is a defar/dibaba sized rick

The lad who gave it me is saying the mocks are putting McCarron in the low 100s, looks bang out of line based on even the lowest level of online research by a pleb like me

Christ, i can't find a mock that puts McCarron inside the top 85 :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

Is this bet only with Ladbrokes lads?

only1stevo wrote: »
    Is this bet only with Ladbrokes lads?

I've only seen it with them & the lad who sent me it quoted their prices

Oddschecker might give you more help however

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

I've only seen it with them & the lad who sent me it quoted their prices

Oddschecker might give you more help however

Sound will have a gander after work! Smells like free money.

• Advertisement

Think I'm on the way out. Had to leave work today

Paddy Powers ugly mug has just greeted me in the local shop, a "bumper" offer at 5.30

If it's him showing naked selfies then I'm never coming back

Why?

Paddy Powers ugly mug has just greeted me in the local shop, a "bumper" offer at 5.30

If it's him showing naked selfies then I'm never coming back

Pretty sh!t offer

No selfies though, thank ****

Ladbrokes have moved their lines on the draft. McCarron now over/under 55.5 & Michael Sam 83.5

They must only check their liabilities on minor markets once a day or something, they took at least a few K on McCarron & that's just from people I know who backed it

McCarron line still looks ludicrously low but needless to say not as ridiculous as the opening 39.5

What was the max they could get on colonel, didn't bother think 150 was max I could get

• Advertisement

What was the max they could get on colonel, didn't bother think 150 was max I could get

I got a monkey on (well €250 twice). One lad told me he got a decent bet on in a shop (clamped online). He never defined "decent" but he's a far bigger punter than me

Very rare I use it but Sportingbet must be the slowest site on the net

I got nearly 1k on across 3 different shops. Clamped too online. Cheers colonel!

I'm shocked it lasted so long, remember trying to get 100 quid on a politics bet at 3/1 in a shop a while back

The girl had to put it through in units of €25 and when the third one went in the market suspended :eek:

Ladbrokes minor markets are usually a joke for liquidity etc hence I was shocked, even a bit suspicious, over this. The line moving this morning is a bit of reassurance though!

Got a few hundred one, so cheers!

Anyone been down to the Cottage Bar in Salthill?

• Advertisement

Some of those specials are priced up all wrong. Remember for the local eletions a few years back one Sinn Fein fella was leading all the polls (surprisingly), Ladbrokes had him 1/8 to get a seat, PP had him 9/4. Had a nice win with that.

Anyone been down to the Cottage Bar in Salthill?

Yep, grand spot for an ale.

Yep, grand spot for an ale.

A mate took over the managing of it just over a month ago. Was in for food yesterday, and it is fecking great. Had a lovely pint with it too, hadnt been in before.

They have built up a good trade there, parties etc. hopefully it goes well for your mate.

Un Ace landed a punt there at Doncaster

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭BQQ

Un Ace landed a punt there at Doncaster

Was there a punt?
    Says he opened at 6/1 and was returned at 7/1.
    Was he big this morning/last night?

BQQ wrote: »
    Was there a punt?
    Says he opened at 6/1 and was returned at 7/1.
    Was he big this morning/last night?

They said on ATR he was backed before the race so yes, there must have been a punt (must be morning punt, maybe not huge prices ). That race he came out of this bumper has worked out extremely well http://www.sportinglife.com/racing/results/20-02-2013/doncaster/result/548357/32redpoker-com-standard-open-nh-flat-race

What to do. Have 8s Vautour, could lay off at 3s and break even if he loses or be greedy and keep my bet running

What to do. Have 8s Vautour, could lay off at 3s and break even if he loses or be greedy and keep my bet running

Lay off. Free bet.

Lay off. Free bet.

If I wasn't on the phone if post a YouTube link to the Gordon Gekko "Greed is Good" speech

• Advertisement
Advertisement