Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Official Off Topic Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,173 ✭✭✭hucklebuck

mr.jingle wrote: »
    Id much rather him saying nothing than having Tommo shout 'And heeeeeeerrrreee comes the favourite' being scrubbed along legless 5lengths behind in the last furlong!

Simon Holt is very good, wouldnt be particularly fond of Jim McGrath either

Aussie Jim is good, English Jim is blinky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭BumperD

mr.jingle wrote: »
    Id much rather him saying nothing than having Tommo shout 'And heeeeeeerrrreee comes the favourite' being scrubbed along legless 5lengths behind in the last furlong!

That's so true of tommo ! Laughed out loud when I read that :)

I just had 15 BBQ chicken wings, a half pound Angus cheeseburger and chips, all washed down with 2 pints of strawberry milkshake. I actually feel drunk. That's what about 4,000 calories consumed within an hour does to your body. Fit for bed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭ste2010

Where's slattsy and Johner these days? Have they eloped?

I went to bed at 9.30. Wide awake for over an hour now. My stomach is still digesting the half a cow I ate earlier. Must look through the cards for today and see can I find a short priced double so I can go swilling ales later Saturday night.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭tomaussie

BumperD wrote: »
    I went to bed at 9.30. Wide awake for over an hour now. My stomach is still digesting the half a cow I ate earlier. Must look through the cards for today and see can I find a short priced double so I can go swilling ales later Saturday night.

Looking forward to your selections. Looking for the same myself. Two horses already suggested for that bet in this thread.

tomaussie wrote: »
    Looking forward to your selections. Looking for the same myself. Two horses already suggested for that bet in this thread.

The two that I'm looking at are vistroy 440 Donny and measureofmydreams in the bumper at Navan. I'll see what prices they are tomorrow. Noticed Simeon is still jet setting about the globe and drops into Meydan for a Grp 3 today, which should be a lot easier for him than some if the contests he's been competing in. He must have more stamps on his passport at this stage than phillious fogg. Also see Michael o hare has runners spread across Navan, Kelso and Donny, with 3 of them that we're all subject of gambles 8 days ago out again, not that I fancy any of them to be honest. His bumper horse in Donny has a chelt entry but doubt he'll be good enough in any event.

Right, I'm off to try and get some sleep. The cow seems to have settled down.

Anyone see at fishers cross nek nomination..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭MyStubbleItches

In Thurles for the weekend, few pints with future pops in law last night. Man is a sow, I'm still soft after it. Shagged up my planned watching Ireland hammer Italy and Jimbo riding a double in Meydan. Farked is the term I think.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

Rugby is next weekend mate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭MyStubbleItches

kiers47 wrote: »
    Rugby is next weekend mate.

See what I mean? Farked!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭carpothepunk

Two decent bets on Stephen Dempsey today. Come on the hammerrrrrrrr

ONE NIL TO THE HAMMER MCCARTHY RATTLED ALREADY 24 MORE TO GO HYUP

Hammer 6-4 down. Ronan fluked a black from a snooker, standard poor to start. Dempsey missed 2 blacks. Mon Stevieeeee

Alan Pardrew head butted someone. He'll be taking a long holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭rabwaygal

Alan Pardrew head butted someone. He'll be taking a long holiday.

David Meylor. Guess he isnt a fan of Carlow hurling!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭jimjamcos

Wait till Aul Meyler gets at him. He'll know how the slap of a hurley feels then!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭Luap

Suarez you living legend!

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭rule supreme

Does anyone know if there are many horses working after racing in leopardstown tomorrow .

• Advertisement

Does anyone know if there are many horses working after racing in leopardstown tomorrow .

Boston bob per RP, hidden cyclone per Irish field. I'm sure there will be a good few. Atr usually try to show it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,873 ✭✭✭RichieLawlor

Having seen Ronan play recently enough, I couldn't male him favorite. Stephen is different gravy, if I'm honest. But like I said, mccarthy is arguably the best money player in the country. I'll have a bet with you if you fancy mccarthy? Save me getting on with someone else.

25-17 to Ronan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Shifted an 8 x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Hey colonel you'll like this :pac: :pac: :pac:

Told a lad about the price discrepancies for the Prestbury Cup, 1/3 Coral and 7/2 Powers England and Ireland so told him if he backed one with each he can't lose worst case scenario he gets his money back

The absolute thick **** went and backed Ireland at 9/4 with Coral and England 1/5 with Powers for **** sake :pac::pac::pac::pac::pac: must have been him that backed Plinth at 1.08

How does mick Fitz get away with it..he's grade A material

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

ste2010 wrote: »
    How does mick Fitz get away with it..he's grade A material

Really insightful post - get away with what?

I presume he is talking about the nonsense he was talking after the schooling in leopardstown.
    He tried to suggest that Ballycasey going for a tumble was good for the horse.

I presume he is talking about the nonsense he was talking after the schooling in leopardstown.
    He tried to suggest that Ballycasey going for a tumble was good for the horse.

What would you prefer - have a tumble schooling or a tumble at the last in the RSA? How do you think they learn to jump?

Really dislike this tendency to sh1t with vitriol all over the input of people like Mick Fitzgerald. The man rode at the top level for what - 25 years? Prepared how many festival winners?? Yet he is apparently the idiot and the keyboard warriors are the experts.

Relax buddy! I am just stating what he said.
    IMO it is far from ideal to get yourself on the deck in a schooling session 10days before the toughest race of the horses career.

• Advertisement

Relax buddy! I am just stating what he said.
    IMO it is far from ideal to get yourself on the deck in a schooling session 10days before the toughest race of the horses career.

He didn't claim it was ideal. He was advising people (specifically exchange layers) not to overreact.

I'd say what he was really thinking was that the general public who have never watched a schooling session wouldn't know how to interpret a fall like that, which I agree with. The co-presenter was scrambling for something to say, wasn't sure what he had even witnessed. He was lucky to have Mick there to enlighten him.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 19 frankel888

The fella is a pain in the ass,on tele every single day if its not atr its channel 4,him family must'nt get to see him ever i pity them or maybe their lucky.

His voice is just horrible to listen to,''luvly harse'' ''nicky thinks a lot of this one'' ''hes a lovely lad'' ''nobody deserved it more'' ''so and so is such a shrewd trainer'' ''the inrunning told the story there'' ''back to enzo in the studio''

He states the obvious constantly,calls bets ''vouchers'' aswell for some reason and never slated a jockey in his life when its deserved.

Just watched the Ballycasey fall. Wasn't that bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Seemed to walk into it a bit on a bad stride. Some of the twitter reaction is laughable, when he's been one of he most impressive jumpers we've seen all year. I'm still very hopeful

Urban - I cannot believe you would thank such a trollish contribution. Pity his family, his voice is horrible.....?

This the first post from a new account registered today, beginning with a horses name and ending in numbers? Does that not look familiar?

Imhof Tank wrote: »
    Urban - I cannot believe you would thank such a trollish contribution. Pity his family, his voice is horrible.....?

This the first post from a new account registered today, beginning with a horses name and ending in numbers? Does that not look familiar?

I've just stumbled across the forum today whats wrong with my user name?

Hope this is not how all new posters are welcomed

hashtag mickfitzfanboy

• Advertisement

Very familiar.

Stupid overreaction to it. Schooling falls are a regular occurance and if anything more likely to happen than a race fall given the lack of pace. Sure the horse even jumped another fence after!

He still wont win the RSA, mind. I'd be more worried about him still having to win over 3m.

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Seemed to walk into it a bit on a bad stride. Some of the twitter reaction is laughable, when he's been one of he most impressive jumpers we've seen all year. I'm still very hopeful

He just lost his concentration. He'll be fine. His last run was uber impressive.

Its not ideal tho,a horse falling running lose then biting his tongue

remounting him would be illegal on the racecourse no vet would've said jump back up there ruby and jump another fence,wouldnt be overly happy if i was backing it at any price for an rsa,looked free aswell.

He just lost his concentration. He'll be fine. His last run was uber impressive.

Yeah massively impressive imo. Theres a common theme with 3 horses (apart from me having them at big prices AP!)) - Our Conor, Ballycasey and Last Instalment. They were all weak as kittens in the market before their last run. I dont think any of the 3 was really expected to win, yet all 3 were impressive. Massive improvement to come from those 3 id say

• Advertisement

Yeah massively impressive imo. Theres a common theme with 3 horses (apart from me having them at big prices AP!)) - Our Conor, Ballycasey and Last Instalment. They were all weak as kittens in the market before their last run. I dont think any of the 3 was really expected to win, yet all 3 were impressive. Massive improvement to come from those 3 id say

So true. Our Conor has made me rethink the CH. Was staying loyal to the champ HF but you couldnt but be taken with the improvement from christmas to the BHP hurdle. LI's run was breathtaking. I was so keen on him as a novice and never thought I'd see him back again - in fact, going into the hennessy, I figured he'd end up down the field & they'd retire him or something - how wrong was I!!

Really insightful post - get away with what?

He's about as suitable for TV as a 200kilo man in a Hawaiian tropic outfit.
    Yes he knows his horsey game but that doesn't mean he should be on TV. He doesn't have the personality for it not to mention the charisma for it. The amount of school boy mistakes he's made about race distances and horse targets..he is a good tipster, horse man and you know he can give you an insight that any other presenter couldn't give but he's about as enjoyable as eating chalk and poking your eyes out with a spoon. I feel sorry for the him given his knowledge and the abuse I seen today on the RP live chat with him. I can imagine he's a true gent also..this is what i mean before you go on the defense about him and keyboard tappers

Yes he knows his horsey game but that doesn't mean he should be on TV. He doesn't have the personality for it not to mention the charisma for it. The amount of school boy mistakes he's made about race distances and horse targets..he is a good tipster, horse man and you know he can give you an insight that any other presenter couldn't give but he's about as enjoyable as eating chalk and poking your eyes out with a spoon. I feel sorry for the him given his knowledge and the abuse I seen today on the RP live chat with him. I can imagine he's a true gent also..this is what i mean before you go on the defense about him and keyboard tappers

Sad. That you can praise him for his substance and simultaneously slate him on a superficial level says it all.

Do people really prefer to listen to "smooth" media friendly types? Whose opinion on that Ballycasey fall today would you prefer to have? Mick Fitz or someone like Graham Cunningham/ Kevin Blake/ Don McLean?

Sad. That you can praise him for his substance and simultaneously slate him on a superficial level says it all.

Do people really prefer to listen to "smooth" media friendly types? Whose opinion on that Ballycasey fall today would you prefer to have? Mick Fitz or someone like Graham Cunningham/ Kevin Blake/ Don McLean?

Blake and Mclean do podcasts and are fairly frank. Much more so than Fitz imo. I respect Fitz's opinion and career though regardless

Blake and Mclean do podcasts where they are fairly frank. Much more so than Fitz imo. I respect Fitz's opinion and career though regardless

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 528 ✭✭✭bit of a bogey

I agree with everything you say except him being a good tipster. For all the racing he watches I dont think he follows the form at all. I cant listen to him anymore. As Frankel says, he's never critical of anyone and its all about praising barry and nicky and they know what it takes... bla, bla bla.

He was a serious jockey and does seem an absolute gent but he is as drawl and never has anything to which I find interesting.

Blake and Mclean do podcasts where they are fairly frank. Much more so than Fitz imo. I respect Fitz's opinion and career though regardless

Yes but how many Gold Cup or National winners have Blake or McLean ridden? What would they really know about that Ballycasey situation today?

Blake thinks he knows it all about racing hes a top of the range fence sitter,his blog last week on the fenton case shows this,like hes some expert thats trying to teach us uneducated mugs about horses or steroids,all you ever hear out of him is''when I was over with Noseda''.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

I'm balls deep on Ballycasey at serious prices.

20k+if he wins for me. And the change.

Yes but how many Gold Cup or National winners have Blake or McLean ridden? What would they really know about that Ballycasey situation today?

Wasn't going to get involved but the above defence always annoys me, regardless of the sport. How does the fact that he was a great rider make his opinion been better than others? They have eyes, mouths and brains too. Just because they didn't make a living from sitting on a horse doesn't mean they're not as knowledgeable as him. Kevin Blake was an assistant trainer over in England at one stage FWIW anyway.

It's like saying 'How many football matches has Jose Mourinho played? What would he know about football?'

Ludicrous logic.

• Advertisement
Advertisement