Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Official Off Topic Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭jimjamcos

Slattsy wrote: »
    I'm balls deep on Ballycasey at serious prices.

20k+if he wins for me. And the change.

I'd start laying him for guaranteed profit so Slattsy boy! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭ste2010

Imhof Tank wrote: »
    Sad. That you can praise him for his substance and simultaneously slate him on a superficial level says it all.

Do people really prefer to listen to "smooth" media friendly types? Whose opinion on that Ballycasey fall today would you prefer to have? Mick Fitz or someone like Graham Cunningham/ Kevin Blake/ Don McLean?

I'm giving the guy the respect he deserves..just because he knows his stuff doesn't mean there are not others out there who would have more charisma for television. Listening all about Barry and Nicky also gets awfully tiring...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭carpothepunk

Anyone for Salthill tomorrow night and a few pints?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

jimjamcos wrote: »
    Wasn't going to get involved but the above defence always annoys me, regardless of the sport. How does the fact that he was a great rider make his opinion been better than others? They have eyes, mouths and brains too. Just because they didn't make a living from sitting on a horse doesn't mean they're not as knowledgeable as him. Kevin Blake was an assistant trainer over in England at one stage FWIW anyway.

It's like saying 'How many football matches has Jose Mourinho played? What would he know about football?'

Ludicrous logic.

Is it not self evident? A lifetime's experience in any business qualifies a person to comment and give a more educated, informed opinion.

As opposed to the vast majority of the punting public who have eyes and brains sure, and they can read form all they like, but wouldn't have the slightest clue how to evaluate a gallop for example. Whether a horse breezed well or how tuned up he was in a prep race for Cheltenham. IMO you need to have either ridden or trained to have the slightest clue about these things and punters should be listening to the likes of Mick Fitzgerald not abusing them online.

Apart form the cheap shots about his luvly harse accent, what's the main gripe about Mick anyway? Some comments here to the effect that he is not critical enough - but who decides whether criticism is deserved? Armchair jockeys - "he should have made the running", "he should have dropped him out the back", "he should have gone for a long one at the last" - read a lot of those comments on this forum. Laughable, as if anyone here is qualified to critique any of the top riders.

I'll tell you what annoys me about Kevin Blake - the "your comments" section posted up beside his blog. This week's top comments

"Great factual and informed article. No sensationalism and scaremongering. Are you sure you are a journalist?"

and

"This is an accurate, sensible and realistic evaluation of 21st century horse training"

Come on. Tell me he didn't post those comments himself. North Korean style propaganda.

Genius.

The two last reds are as good as any I have ever seen. That left handed deep screw on the last...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Ronnie looks to be getting better while the rest have dropped off a bit. Ding probably been the most consistent player this year but just can't live with Ronnie. He's never had a 'Hendry' style domination period. perhaps this year and potentially his third world in a row we can start comparing him with the GOAT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

Anyone else at Leopardstown yest? Unbelievably quiet, almost felt bad for the bookies in the ring.
    Owners of Art of Payroll said their fella was a sure thing but of course this fella didn't back him! Also Barry Geraghty told a fundraiser event on in the pavilion that Sailors Warn would struggle big time against the opposition, few of the attendees were perplexed afterwards!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,253 ✭✭✭Juwwi

The Galway preview from Salthill is being streamed live

http://www.dafa.co.uk/?page_id=744

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Slattsy wrote: »
    I'm balls deep on Ballycasey at serious prices.

20k+if he wins for me. And the change.

I dont know where that 0 came from :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭ft9

Where were you gone Sluts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭mr.jingle

Just talking to a few guys about rides in the Cheltenham Festival and horses coming from the clouds Wichita Lineman and Al Ferof obvious ones, but then thought of Dun Doire(I think it was him anyway for Martin and Ruby) would anyone know where to get a replay for this race

Curley 1, Paddy Mullins 0. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭mr.jingle

jimjamcos wrote: »
    Curley 1, Paddy Mullins 0. :pac:

Got him good there alright, quite enjoyed that preview to be honest. The last one I was at had Davy Russell, Richard Johnson and Matt Chapman and have to say compared to this it was terrible

Intended on live tweeting it but got pissed instead. Probably my favourite preview ever. Got chatting to Curley after. Lovely bloke. Tom had a few choice words for handicaps at chelt. I'll throw them up tomorrow

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

Is it NFL draft day yet?

CHAMPION jockey Tony McCoy has admitted that this year's Cheltenham Festival will be one of his last as the record breaking rider heads towards his 40th birthday.

Read the full story at: http://www.racingpost.com/news/horse-racing/a-p-mccoy-mccoy-this-cheltenham-likely-to-be-one-of-my-last/1615168/

This was a bit of an eye opener. McCoy has been champion jockey as long as I've followed racing and I've never been able to hide my admiration for him as a sportsman. But nothing goes on forever & he, Ruby Walsh et al will retire eventually

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭BumperD

Dickie Johnson might get a title afterall.

The apparent proliferation of the word "sucks" is deeply worrying

The apparent proliferation of the word "sucks" is deeply worrying

The apparent proliferation of Leann Follain in bottled form on Tuesday night is far more of a cause for concern

• Advertisement

I fear you have been "nobbled"

Is aintree effectively a hangover and the fear combined from cheltenam...
    My strategy this year at aintree will be to find the horss most likely to lose and back him

The apparent proliferation of Leann Follain in bottled form on Tuesday night is far more of a cause for concern

my head hurts

Boy they were a tasty few bottles however

ste2010 wrote: »
    Is aintree effectively a hangover and the fear combined from cheltenam...
    My strategy this year at aintree will be to find the horss most likely to lose and back him

Last years Aintree was a mugs paradise, nearly all the favs went in at short prices

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 551 ✭✭✭bellybuster12

Boyles on the blink for anyone else??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

Colonel my friend Tesco have Leainn Follain as well as some other beers at 4 for €9.
    As well as some other offers for some beer and cider festival.

kiers47 wrote: »
    Colonel my friend Tesco have Leainn Follain as well as some other beers at 4 for €9.
    As well as some other offers for some beer and cider festival.

Don't worry, I loaded the car up on Sunday ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

Don't worry, I loaded the car up on Sunday ;)

Haha good man. I went in for a sliced pan and a carton of milk there myself and dropped 60quid haha.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭ft9

Soldado scored the weekend for Spurs, Ade now 2 ahead at 1/4, Soldado 11/4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭tomaussie

Guys. Got some friends here that still have accounts in Ireland as they are just passing through.

They want to know what Irish bookies are best to join for just phone accounts and to avail of new customer offers ?

So not powers or boyles as most if them already have an account with them.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Mulhollands in Galway still take phone bets i believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Kris ‏@kris1179 7m
    Looks like its is another Barney Curley Coup - 4.35 Giant Sequoia,5.25 Definite Secret 8.55 Vitznau and 7.25 Berka

Lads, I did a NRNB. Horse has now been scratched. When do I get the loot back, now or after the race at Cheltenham??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭MyStubbleItches

BumperD wrote: »
    Lads, I did a NRNB. Horse has now been scratched. When do I get the loot back, now or after the race at Cheltenham??

Asked this in Boyles yesterday and was told as soon as the horse is a definite non runner. Not that I'd trust what shop staff say.

Was hoping to reinvest in another one before I head over.

Was hoping to reinvest in another one before I head over.

Paid out today

One day left then a week off

Monday will be an absolutely outrageous drinking session. Montpelier won't know what hit it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

One day left then a week off

Monday will be an absolutely outrageous drinking session. Montpelier won't know what hit it

Finishing tommorow myself and not back until the 20th :D Wonder which will give in first, my heart, my liver or my wallet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭MyStubbleItches

Waiting on a phone call to start a new job. Hoping it doesn't come for another week now, especially as my stag is next Friday. Would be just typical to be told I'm starting Monday and working all week.

• Advertisement

I'll probably be the lad asleep in a corner of oneills at 11 o clock Monday night. Wake up then at half 8 to get the enhanced morning prices and so drunk I'll probably double the stake I planned

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Gonna head out in Dublin Tuesday I reckon, Coppers hasn't been hit in a while

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    I'll probably be the lad asleep in a corner of oneills at 11 o clock Monday night. Wake up then at half 8 to get the enhanced morning prices and so drunk I'll probably double the stake I planned

Hulk I'll race you

See who can lose control of bowel movements first :pac:

I miss The Verve

I'm guessing one more reunion is too much to ask for?

Looking athe Cheltenham form
    So much your exhausted and couldn't give a f*ck what happens next week

Golantilla out there resting in his stable, waiting to get his chance to join the Legends of the Forum, while the Tatariano train loaded up like the New Deli Express with punters hanging off the rooftop before spluttering out of the horse racing forum. But I have a feeling Special Tiara could be the next "Special One".....

• Advertisement

An outstanding drink. Right up there with the best IPAs IMO

IMG_0954.JPG

Looks like Boston bob is running in the Ryanair according to the betting...if I've ever seen a horse crying out for longer than 3miles he is it...what the hell are they doing (and before the willie brigade give out that he's the champion trainer, that decision is bizarre of that's what's happening)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 24 Propunter1

Golantilla out there resting in his stable, waiting to get his chance to join the Legends of the Forum, while the Tatariano train loaded up like the New Deli Express with punters hanging off the rooftop before spluttering out of the horse racing forum. But I have a feeling Special Tiara could be the next "Special One".....

Golantilla wouldnt win if they let him off now somebody should change the name of the thread the horse was well beaten last year into 3rd plus its handicapped by the jockey on it,the king of the bumpers will be taking this as usual.

Are you nobbled again Colonel

Are you nobbled again Colonel

Nah, just having the one bottle

Holidays start c5pm tomorow.......

• Advertisement
Advertisement