Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Official Off Topic Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Imhof Tank wrote: »
    I don't really know what you mean by the new age crowd - unless you mean the ladies that is!

My mother has never been to Lansdowne Road for example. That would have been anathema to the old man. Yet the wife is a regular at the RDS, Aviva and has been at Cardiff, Stade de France and Twickenham matches in recent years. Make of that what you will.

I mean the type who go the rugby to say they are/were at the rugby, not actually fans of the sport

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

I mean the type who go the rugby to say they are/were at the rugby, not actually fans of the sport

Yes. The ladies. We are ad idem.

I was at a 6 nations match at Croke Park back in 08 - do you know what the 2 guys beside me discussed for the entire match? Who was their favourite model - it was between Glenda Gilson and someone whose name I've forgotton :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭BumperD

Home. Exhausted. Emotional. Half broke. Going to book my holidays for March 2015 and do it all again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭ft9

I can't believe its not Bobs Worth!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

I can't believe I **** myself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Imhof Tank wrote: »
    Slatts troll.

I have played and followed the oval ball game since 1975.

I am confident that I can name at least 15 of the players tomorrow.

Do you know what a spear tackle is?

You're rare then.

When you you run at an opposing player with a spear. It originated in West Africa apparently. I believe BOD got hit with one through the shoulder. Great tackle to me. Rugby players used to be tough in my day, fairies now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Its a social occasion.
    Women at matches. It's a ****ing disgrace. No wonder the atmosphere is non existence.

They'll be allowed vote next, you mark my words.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kksaints

Slattsy wrote: »
    Its a social occasion.
    Women at matches. It's a ****ing disgrace. No wonder the atmosphere is non existence.

They'll be allowed vote next, you mark my words.

You could say the same about GAA matches aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

I remember when I started work. Most lads in the office didn't know which shape ball rugby players used

I still don't, a pile of em woke up one day and thought "god I'm middle class now, better start following rugby"

Note I'm not saying all rugby fans are clueless morons.

But then I suppose all sports have clueless morons among their followers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭jimjamcos

It has little to do with people attaching themselves to rugby for 'class' reasons. It's no different to any other sport - sunshine/bandwagon supporters will attach themselves to any successful team in order to feed of the feel-good vibe. No different to the Dublin footballers or United, Ireland's rugby team has been relatively successful over the last decade and attracted new, shallow, fans as a result. Sport is fashionable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,873 ✭✭✭RichieLawlor

One of my pet hates is people who don't know the difference between hurdling and chasing. The amount of people who mix up last fence/hurdle drives me nuts

UrbanSea wrote: »
    Ingerland to win by 22 <3

Or Ireland by 2

Both would simply be worthy of a 3 day wankathon

One of my pet hates is people who don't know the difference between hurdling and chasing. The amount of people who mix up last fence/hurdle drives me nuts
    Or calling a mare a gelding or vice versa. Doesn't bother me if it's some nag in a low grade race but when they call Annie Power ''him'' drives me mad
    Or Ireland by 2

Both would simply be worthy of a 3 day wankathon

Oh I would be so weak at the knees

Lord Windermere given the lowest RP rating for a gold cup winner in over a decade. 170 is 11lbs lower than Bobs Worth achieved last year

3lbs lower than War Of Attrition in 2006 which was a woeful year

Ingerland to win by 22 <3

18 ahead

Probably need an Italian try & a bit of luck. Doesn't matter anyhow, Ireland will win by 2. I've never been more sure of anything in my life

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭BumperD

Is Ireland by 2 a bet? What price is it?

Marge: are you sure you won't come with us to church?

TV: Coming up next, make your own ladder

Homer: very sure!

Kids, let me tell you about another so-called "wicked" guy. He had long hair and some wild ideas and he didn't always do what other people thought was right.

And that man's name was-- I forget.

But the point is-- I forget that too.

Marge, you know who I'm talking about. He used to drive that blue car.

Lord Windermere given the lowest RP rating for a gold cup winner in over a decade. 170 is 11lbs lower than Bobs Worth achieved last year

3lbs lower than War Of Attrition in 2006 which was a woeful year

Only beaten a combined 59l in 3 runs this season, finishing behind the likes of Texas Jack, foildubh and theatre guide, was always going to win the Gold Cup

The world is broken

There you go again, always taking someone else's side. Flanders, the water department, God

• Advertisement

BumperD wrote: »
    Is Ireland by 2 a bet? What price is it?

Backed Ireland -1 & France +3. Both at evs. Two is a magic number

Only beaten a combined 59l in 3 runs this season, finishing behind the likes of Texas Jack, foildubh and theatre guide, was always going to win the Gold Cup

The world is broken

I still can't have it

Fair enough he'd a festival win under his belt but that was a stinking RSA Chase. Rated 154 going into the race. I'm gonna stop looking at it, my head will explode

25 in it now

Just keep trading penalties lads, nice and easy does it

The funny thing is a lot of people saying Briar Hill would have won if he stayed up, impossible to tell.

Could you imagine if Bob's Worth was a non runner yesterday and Lord Windermere won, people would be saying he would have won by half the track

The funny thing is a lot of people saying Briar Hill would have won if he stayed up, impossible to tell.

Yeah unfortunately not as easy as that. The winner improved for the step up in trip, apparently was a hugely rated pointer.

I still can't have it

Fair enough he'd a festival win under his belt but that was a stinking RSA Chase. Rated 154 going into the race. I'm gonna stop looking at it, my head will explode

A plot in the Gold Cup, strangling it all year to get the price :)

Culloty's horses have apparently been sick all season with Spring Heeled his first winner since August. That could be an excuse. Still think LW's a rag though and hope to God he turns up at Punchestown a warm fav.

Daughter of Sweet Kiln runs for the Bowes in Limerick

Has Solerina bred anything?

Spoils took concessions off my a/c but thought I could still have a bet with them

Looks like I can't get a single cent on online

2nd time in a row my max stake online has been 0.00

I must e-mail them but I'll be wasting my time I guess

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 878 ✭✭✭sonnky

Daughter of Sweet Kiln runs for the Bowes in Limerick

Has Solerina bred anything?

http://www.racingpost.com/horses/horse_home.sd?horse_id=835268#topHorseTabs=horse_race_record&bottomHorseTabs=horse_form

She's bred this mare anyways!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭ft9

O Driscoll missing in action.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

Looking good for you colonel bar some piece of brilliance or a cock up!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Colonel you hero

For a second it seemed like the ref was trying to award that try. It would have been absolutely ridiculous if he did!!!

**** you Bob Dorough, two is the magic number!

Tried have 750 on each but Stan James would "only" lay a monkey. Can't really complain!!

• Advertisement

In Joe we trust! :)

BOD MOTM! :D

11/2 winner for me too! :D

kiers47 wrote: »
    For a second it seemed like the ref was trying to award that try. It would have been absolutely ridiculous if he did!!!

Watched the last 10 minutes, know zero about the game but the second that pass went I automatically shouted "it's forward". Was that blatant

Watched the last 10 minutes, know zero about the game but the second that pass went I automatically shouted "it's forward". Was that blatant

It was blatant alright.
    In 20 years watching rugby I have never seen a ref take that much time over an easy decision. He asked the video ref twice was it passed flat and it drifted forward..

Was he having a laugh. I would be in Harvey Normans first thing tomorrow for a new telly if he gave that!!

Great bet BTW!!

Never look at the handicap markets to much in rugby. Don't tend to bet on it to much.

kiers47 wrote: »
    Great bet BTW!!

Never look at the handicap markets to much in rugby. Don't tend to bet on it to much.

Pops up the odd time, all 3 games today strangely gave the opportunity

I've done it at least 10 times, this is the 1st time I've nailed it

• Advertisement

Fairplay Colonel!

jimjamcos wrote: »
    I think Ireland are the value in 6N @ 11/2. Granted we haven't got a great tradition of winning it and a few injuries (Loss of SOB is massive) but provinces are flying and Schmidt is a genius. Given proper time with the players, which he now gets, can see him working his magic. We have Wales, who I'd fear most, at home, we wont fear England away and Schmidt has a proven track record of getting results in France and a super knowledge of them from his days coaching there. The front row isn't nearly as weak as it used to be and with real depth and all the main Irish players on form, I think we'll go well, despite the loss of TTT and Bowe who should be fit in the next few weeks.

After the disaster that was the last two days of Cheltenham, this was some small comfort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

United are a cracking price tomorrow to beat Liverpool. Going to have a fair wedge on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,281 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Could you imagine if Bob's Worth was a non runner yesterday and Lord Windermere won, people would be saying he would have won by half the track

This is a fact.

Horse racing is nonsense at times.

My first Saturday night in since the day Champagne Fever won his beginners chase at Punchestown. This is incredibly boring

Anyone here watch House of Cards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,359 ✭✭✭naughto

The walking dead and true detective best teo programms

No but I've heard from a few reliable people that it's ridiculously good.

jimjamcos wrote: »
    No but I've heard from a few reliable people that it's ridiculously good.

Start it RIGHT NOW

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭mr.jingle

naughto wrote: »
    The walking dead and true detective best teo programms

Game of Thrones ftw!!! Back in a few weeks too so might just have to run through the first 3 series again

• Advertisement
Advertisement