Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Official Off Topic Thread

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭carpothepunk

Lovely part of the world. Enjoy the travels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭droidman123

BumperD wrote: »
    That's the one then. I'll set one up there for myself in the next couple weeks and I'll stick the link here so I can be congratulated or ridiculed after the season :).

Without being too specific, Central America direction Carpo.

Best of luck bumper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

A friend on facebook shared this actually thinking it was real :pac: :pac: :pac:

http://urdujamaria.wordpress.com/2014/03/20/malaysian-airline-found-hijacked-by-prince/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭BumperD

Rooney's goal was just silly. Watch it if you havnt seen it yet.

Always find this time a year a bit of a nightmare punting wise. The NH season begins its wind down while the flat season starts. Over the years, I've found it a dangerous time to punt. Aintree and Punchestown the exceptions for me. I often find its June or July before the flat season settles down a bit and we have a bit of form lines on how the 3yr olds have progressed from their 2yr old runs (or otherwise). Just read that Tiqris was fatally injured yesterday in a fall - thought he might have a bright future.

Shame about Tiqris

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Cart

Flat racing is like a woman with small titties,you will look at them, but you don't really want to play with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭Goldcupfav

Have had Best Boy Barney in my tracker since he finished 4 1/2 lengths 3rd behind Chatterbox and MTOY in a Introductory Hurdle at Newbury. Horse has done feck all since but surely is capable of winning a chase around Fontwell off a mark of 90. Plenty of money around for him overnight so got on at 6/1 earlier. Ive promised myself that this is the last time im going to back this fella.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭ste2010

Point to pointer kilcullen article could surprise a few ew at Chepstow today at 22-1. Also monart diamond has an interesting jockey booking given there's a Hobbs horse in the same race
    Maybe it's the hobs horse Tom O'Brien is on is the plot. Money coming for it now

That worked out well! Both fell/brought down at the first

• Advertisement

Went for my first run in about six months. Good lord

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

Will a Champions League quarter final be enough to save Moyes' bacon?

If they reach semis, then get knocked out and finish below 6th he may struggle. I don't lay any blame with him. It's that chap sitting in the stands, who had zero experience in appointing football managers and left the squad in a depleted state who should be removed. His influence on the club is suffocating old Trafford IMO.

I was also gifted "sir"'s autobiography at Christmas. It is the first biography I've not finished. I put it down after a couple of chapters. It was so self serving, it was hard to stomach.

I'm watching lambing live on bbc 2. What am I like?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭jimjamcos

It's irrelevant. We'll get trounced but he won't be sacked. United want to stand out from the Abramovich's of this world in showing loyalty, and a perceived level of class. Its the very reason they hired him over 'sure thing' Mourinho. A suicidal philosophy when you appoint the wrong man.

The Americans are business men. Standing out from the crowd will cut no mustard with the finance men who bank rolled the purchase. The $$$$'s or lack thereof will determine his fate. No trophy will mean a drop in revenue. They have already dropped out of the top 4 world clubs re t/o. The metrics are going red. I doubt the money men will tolerate that too much longer. Again though, I would not blame Moyes. He inherited a club in need of a full new squad. There was always going to be a drop.

This sheep farming lark is interesting. I need to get out more often.

The Americans are business men. Standing out from the crowd will cut no mustard with the finance men who bank rolled the purchase. The $$$$'s or lack thereof will determine his fate. No trophy will mean a drop in revenue. They have already dropped out of the top 4 world clubs re t/o. The metrics are going red. I doubt the money men will tolerate that too much longer. Again though, I would not blame Moyes. He inherited a club in need of a full new squad. There was always going to be a drop.

This sheep farming lark is interesting. I need to get out more often.

A continued fall in revenue will seal his fate eventually but that won't be for another season IMO. The Glazers bought united with massive debt and its going to turn them a massive profit when they do sell on. The single factor which gave them stability, maintained their power when they first took over and allowed them to profit from the club with relative little trouble, was the alliance with Ferguson. They trust Ferguson and having gave him the power to appoint his own successor, they won't sack him unless he agrees. And Ferguson isn't going to do that, having being in a similar position himself.

Mayes just isn't good enough. No track record of winning at any serious level. An average manager produces average results. You get what you pay for.

• Advertisement

From a Twitter Q&A with Pinnacle Head Of Sports
    What is the highest you have ever had your limits at? And what was the event? #AskPinnacle

@PinnacleSports 6h

HoS: @juliancanny We did $500,000 on Champions league, but wait til you see next year’s world cup #offthecharts #AskPinnacle

That type of limit is wrong (in the good sense!), most "conventional" Bookies won't lay a tenner on a EPL game

jimjamcos wrote: »
    A continued fall in revenue will seal his fate eventually but that won't be for another season IMO. The Glazers bought united with massive debt and its going to turn them a massive profit when they do sell on. The single factor which gave them stability, maintained their power when they first took over and allowed them to profit from the club with relative little trouble, was the alliance with Ferguson. They trust Ferguson and having gave him the power to appoint his own successor, they won't sack him unless he agrees. And Ferguson isn't going to do that, having being in a similar position himself.

Mayes just isn't good enough. No track record of winning at any serious level. An average manager produces average results. You get what you pay for.

Moyes had no track record before his appointment if that's the case. I thought it was a bizzare appointment. Then I discovered it was ferguson who hand picked him. If Moyes fails, the blame lies squarely at fergusons feet. No one else is to blame, except the owners perhaps who vested so much power in fergusons hands. It's doomed to failure as Moyes will never be given the time ferguson was given. A total bollicks up of the highest order.

Moyes had no track record before his appointment if that's the case. I thought it was a bizzare appointment. Then I discovered it was ferguson who hand picked him. If Moyes fails, the blame lies squarely at fergusons feet. No one else is to blame, except the owners perhaps who vested so much power in fergusons hands. It's doomed to failure as Moyes will never be given the time ferguson was given. A total bollicks up of the highest order.

Couldn't agree more! Feel sorry for Moyes if anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,873 ✭✭✭RichieLawlor

If they reach semis, then get knocked out and finish below 6th he may struggle. I don't lay any blame with him. It's that chap sitting in the stands, who had zero experience in appointing football managers and left the squad in a depleted state who should be removed. His influence on the club is suffocating old Trafford IMO.

Depleted squad who had just won the league by 10 points the week before. Take a day off will ya. Yes the squad needs some new faces but it's not 7 places worse in the league. Moyes isn't a strong enough personality in the dressing room. Anyone blaming Fergie doesn't know much about anything

Depleted squad who had just won the league by 10 points the week before. Take a day off will ya. Yes the squad needs some new faces but it's not 7 places worse in the league. Moyes isn't a strong enough personality in the dressing room. Anyone blaming Fergie doesn't know much about anything

In fairness, Fergie hired him. No different than a dodgy signing, the ole Scot has to take a fair share of the blame as Moyes was clearly the wrong choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭tomaussie

You're quite correct that the squad is capable of competing and also quite correct that Moyes is not a strong enough personality.

If it is true that Fergie appointed him then who would you blame ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

From a Twitter Q&A with Pinnacle Head Of Sports

That type of limit is wrong (in the good sense!), most "conventional" Bookies won't lay a tenner on a EPL game

Someone shouldve asked, why don't you offer horse racing, and would you have the balls to continue your business model if you did? Also, why do you only offer high grade stuff with strong asian lines?

I'd say they would have been ignored somehow. Theres room in Europe for one high limit, low margin book that just mimics strong asain lines on high grade events. That void is filled nicely by Pinnacle. I can see absolutely no reason why we should want others to copy their model. Everyone would just end up with the same prices and only the same games and limited markets offered. How crap would that be.

Someone did ask about racing, they answered

Pinnacle bet to 102% on soccer, 101.5% on Asian handicaps. Powers bet to 106% on games that apparently "anyone can price" yet won't lay anyone with half a brain (not just powers in fairness, pretty much all Oddschecker bookmakers are the same).

Ah now Richie, an ever so slightly sweeping (& flawed) comment. Ferguson hand picked him for the role. Its his man. He was never suitable imo & that was also the opinion of plenty of very experienced football people at the time of the appointment.

The midfield was left an utter wreck. The defenece no better. Thats a depleted squad imo. Any team that has to call on the likes of Scholes to put on his boots again to give them a dig out & a 40yr old Giggs to play first team football is depleted. It is what it is I'm afraid. I just fear that him sitting in the stands watching this train wreck unfold that he'll find some way to skip away and avoid the blame. Moyes looks like he has aged more than Obama did in his first 100 days....he must have the weight of the world on his shoulders. He was handed an impossible task.

As an aside, what in gods name were you up to in Moyes dressing room..... :) ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Someone did ask about racing, they answered

Pinnacle bet to 102% on soccer, 101.5% on Asian handicaps. Powers bet to 106% on games that apparently "anyone can price" yet won't lay anyone with half a brain (not just powers in fairness, pretty much all Oddschecker bookmakers are the same).

If you notice though, it's only the arbs with betfair that the big conventional bookies won't lay smart people. When the price is inside the betfair line you can usually get what you want on. Pinnacle in turn, are rarely much different to betfair prices because both are run off asian lines. Pinnacle's a great service and a lot of people are delighted they're there. But theyre basically a way for Europeans to play in the Asian exchange markets. Thus, there's no need for anyone like them because they cover that angle themselves

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,173 ✭✭✭hucklebuck

He won a weak league with Scholes and Giggs playing and RVP on fire and interested in playing for Utd, he also appointed Moyes and you can be sure he would have stayed on if the team was stronger. Also Pellegrini and Mourinho were in their first season and Rodgers had a massive job to do with Liverpool, this explains the yawning gap to second. I would be surprised if these three don't finish at least 5 points better than Citys total for last season.

While Ferguson is not fully responsible to not apportion blame to him is crazy, I would not completely lay the blame at Moyes door either, he clearly had no support in the transfer market and RVP deciding to have a sulk has not helped. Apparently Mignolet and De Gea had more touches in the Liverpool game than RVP did, then he comes out and says he wants to stay after Rooneys contract and like magic he can score goals again, if he didn't have his sulk Utd would be a lot closer to the top.

No matter who is in charge of Utd next year they have an impossible task, Vidic is on his way, Ferdinand and Evra aren't getting any younger, they need a couple of midfielder and without the carrot of Champions and possibly Europa League and the absense of Ferguson and the Glazers in charge they will struggle to get their first choice players.

Long live King Moyes :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

hucklebuck wrote: »
    He won a weak league with Scholes and Giggs playing and RVP on fire and interested in playing for Utd, he also appointed Moyes and you can be sure he would have stayed on if the team was stronger. Also Pellegrini and Mourinho were in their first season and Rodgers had a massive job to do with Liverpool, this explains the yawning gap to second. I would be surprised if these three don't finish at least 5 points better than Citys total for last season.

While Ferguson is not fully responsible to not apportion blame to him is crazy, I would not completely lay the blame at Moyes door either, he clearly had no support in the transfer market and RVP deciding to have a sulk has not helped. Apparently Mignolet and De Gea had more touches in the Liverpool game than RVP did, then he comes out and says he wants to stay after Rooneys contract and like magic he can score goals again, if he didn't have his sulk Utd would be a lot closer to the top.

No matter who is in charge of Utd next year they have an impossible task, Vidic is on his way, Ferdinand and Evra aren't getting any younger, they need a couple of midfielder and without the carrot of Champions and possibly Europa League and the absense of Ferguson and the Glazers in charge they will struggle to get their first choice players.

Long live King Moyes :D

This is mourinho's first season.

Interested to see how Ballylinen does in the handicap in cork later at a huge price. Running in ridiculous G1 company in each start and now reverts to a 90-100 handicap now that it has a mark.
    Also reckon Tim Vaughan is going to have a field day at ffos las today

Interested in a back to lay bet on Josie S and B at Cork. Trades quite low in the run since she switched to handicaps, backed her at 40s last time think she traded around 5/1. Will back her at 10/1 and lay in the run at 6/1

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭carpothepunk

Just checked my tracker and Mouse was getting Horendous Hulabaloo handicapped last time I heard. I've well and truly missed the price but think today may be the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Was gutted watching Victory Gunner get beat! What a legend of a horse to be running that well at 16.

Typical first time I leave a lay is the first time she doesn't shorten in the run. Lay wasn't matched

Rarely if ever been this hungover

I physically can't get out of bed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭flutered

jimjamcos wrote: »
    In fairness, Fergie hired him. No different than a dodgy signing, the ole Scot has to take a fair share of the blame as Moyes was clearly the wrong choice.
    fergosun is will be a legend, a bully, a dominating man, with him thereir was to be only one point of view, his own,the brightes star in the man u sky, would he have any of the gloss removed, or would he give it an added shine, i guess an added shine, which is why he picked someone who could never be accused of achiving anywhere near what he ferguson did, there were many a top class coach out there, aalso he brought scholes out of retirement to run mid field instead of buying someone, now scholes has retired again, but he has not being replaced, why was he allowed to pick his replacement himself,

Rarely if ever been this hungover

I physically can't get out of bed

Not hungover. Nobbled. Thats the new term for hungover for 2014. You are Nobbled Colonel. O'Faoileans got the better of you. Admit it. :pac:

• Advertisement

Was at the Darts last night, no idea how much I drank. Still in bed.

Hadn't been out boozing in ages. Dear god it's taken its toll. Splitting head ache & just generally feel rubbish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Atmosphere sounded unreal!

Johner wrote: »
    Atmosphere sounded unreal!

Yeah it was class. Awful seats but didn't stop me boozing my t!ts off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭MyStubbleItches

Backed Sweet Annathea earlier today for the 8.15. Knew my money was done going by the drift but mother of f**k Rory Cleary couldn't have made it any more obvious that the horse was being held. So bad it's funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

good offer here for tickets for Punchy

http://offers.pigsback.com/offer/126841

Stick on E4 balls of steel Australia what a laugh

Good god anyone see Emma Spencer on the morning line from Dubai

The sun does her well. It looks sweltering out there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭sting60

Glazers have/about to strike a deal with Nike for naming rights to Old Trafford.If this happens it wont be planes with banners flying over OT.

• Advertisement

Whatever people think, PP has the best marketing department in the world. If you back Oxlade Chamberlain to score first and Gibbs does they'll pay out

Advertisement