Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Official Off Topic Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

If Brazil win the World Cup, I'll eat my hat.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

ft9 wrote: »
    9 altogether, Brazil 7, Croatia 2.

i make it 10 overall hope i watched it riight, if so winner winner chicken dinner:D

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,653 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

For anyone that's wodering, yes I'e started issuing cards over the continued ignoring of my in-thread warnings about World Cup talk. Sanctions will start to escalate particularly where posters come into the forum to discuss soccer and very little that has much to do with Horse Racing

Beasty wrote: »
    For anyone that's wodering, yes I'e started issuing cards over the continued ignoring of my in-thread warnings about World Cup talk. Sanctions will start to escalate particularly where posters come into the forum to discuss soccer and very little that has much to do with Horse Racing

Off-topic thread. Why have one at all?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

We use the other part of the forum to talk about Horse Racing, why would we use the off topic thread for it as well? Surely the point of an off topic thread is to talk about anything we want other than Horse Racing. :confused:

I wonder if I start chatting about croquet, would I also receive a warning?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,653 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Johner wrote: »
    We use the other part of the forum to talk about Horse Racing, why would we use the off topic thread for it as well? Surely the point of an off topic thread is to talk about anything we want other than Horse Racing. :confused:
    I am not going to repeat all my warnings over the past couple of days - just go back and re-read them as it's all explained there. This will not become an unofficiual soccer thread for the next month and if many more want to make it so I will carry out my threat to ban all soccer talk and if necessary the thread will be closed for a minimum of the duration of the World Cup

3 posters are now serving lengthy bans. More will follow if posters believe they can simply ignore mod warnings

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Suckfisher

When you had your accident was there much brain trauma?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Suckfisher

Horse racing is cruel and in a fair and just society should be abolished imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭ItsAnEasyGame

Had Brazil in a double with a horse called Scooping early. God I love horses and football.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭jimjamcos

Just watching the TV show Nazi Hunters here. A good watch, but dictators are bad and should never be tolerated. Thank God times have changed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Whosthis

I just posted this in the after timing thread in the gambling forum, might be more appropriate here.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=90820944&postcount=789

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭Peanut Butter Jelly

Ok, I'm only here to try and help the current situation.

I don't know how many of you are familiar with IRC, but in essence it is a big group messaging chat online. No sign up required or anything. I've a channel that I think is free to use to discuss the World Cup since it cant be discussed in this Off-topic thread according to Beasty. It is only for you guys in the horse racing forum.

If you click here, you'll be taken to a page to enter a nickname. For the nickname, you can put in your Boards.ie username, or an abbreviated version or whatever you like. After that, simply click Start and you're ready to go!

The main disadvantage is that I don't think it saves the posts, or shows any from before when you join, so I suggest you try to organise for atleast a couple of you to go on at the same time, or to just agree to join during the matches.

I don't want to drag up the issue again, I just want to try and make everyone happy.

3 lovely lanmb chops have my name on it maybe a some nushrrons and onions as well.

john wayne on rte 1 great western.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

What happened to Urban Sea?

Who is this Beasty person I've never seen post here before and why is he banning people for talking about stuff in an off topic thread.

The idea of it is people can discuss whatever they want here between themselves.

Edit - Just saw he closed his account, what in gods name has happened here lately?
    Can an admin not take a look at this, see the thread in feedback has been locked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭tomaussie

mdwexford wrote: »
    What happened to Urban Sea?

Who is this Beasty person I've never seen post here before and why is he banning people for talking about stuff in an off topic thread.

The idea of it is people can discuss whatever they want here between themselves.

Edit - Just saw he closed his account, what in gods name has happened here lately?
    Can an admin not take a look at this, see the thread in feedback has been locked.

What thread had been locked ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭rossom

I'm struggling to see why this has turned into such a huge issue.

Yes, there are designated areas for the World Cup on boards.ie but all of the posters on here have built up a rapport through posting about a common interest in horse racing and enjoy a banter which is a result of like minded discussion.

Personally cannot see the harm in a group of 'online friends' wanting to talk about a mutual interest in an off topic thread, as opposed to posting on a designated area of boards where you are unlikely to know anyone and where no relationship has been developed

Surely the bread and butter of boards.ie is that it is a community?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,339 ✭✭✭convert

guys, there have been enough warnings in thread about commenting on this. You were asked to refrain from doing so, and to PM the mods/cmods. We don't want any more infractions in this thread, so please take this on board.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

rossom wrote: »
    I'm struggling to see why this has turned into such a huge issue.

Yes, there are designated areas for the World Cup on boards.ie but all of the posters on here have built up a rapport through posting about a common interest in horse racing and enjoy a banter which is a result of like minded discussion.

Personally cannot see the harm in a group of 'online friends' wanting to talk about a mutual interest in an off topic thread, as opposed to posting on a designated area of boards where you are unlikely to know anyone and where no relationship has been developed

Surely the bread and butter of boards.ie is that it is a community?

Very well said.
    FWIW Urban said he will be back.

I'm just going to copy and paste the above and send it to the relevant mods as this perfectly echoes most of our sentiments?

• Advertisement

Whosthis wrote: »
    I just posted this in the after timing thread in the gambling forum, might be more appropriate here.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=90820944&postcount=789

The run continued yesterday with my only bet of the day 8.35 Clonmel 3 Old Supporter 20/1 . How do most of you decide what to back each way or win only? As stated in the post on the other thread I generally back win only but it can be frustrating at times. I kind of see it as either risking twice my stake on an E/W or splitting my stake E/W and only taking half the winnings + the place returns.

The run continued yesterday with my only bet of the day 8.35 Clonmel 3 Old Supporter 20/1 . How do most of you decide what to back each way or win only? As stated in the post on the other thread I generally back win only but it can be frustrating at times. I kind of see it as either risking twice my stake on an E/W or splitting my stake E/W and only taking half the winnings + the place returns.

Nice one - unfortunately I missed Old Supporter yesterday. I've had a few e/w bets on him in the past and have done quite nicely out of it as he's rarely a short price.

I tend to back 'win' more often on the flat than NH, although I've had a few nice NH wins, Big Shu at Cheltenham being one of the most memorable, though he did give me a minor heart attack in Punchestown the following month.

convert wrote: »
    Nice one - unfortunately I missed Old Supporter yesterday. I've had a few e/w bets on him in the past and have done quite nicely out of it as he's rarely a short price.

I tend to back 'win' more often on the flat than NH, although I've had a few nice NH wins, Big Shu at Cheltenham being one of the most memorable, though he did give me a minor heart attack in Punchestown the following month.
    I'd backed it win only. I was referring to the run of consecutive big priced 2nds/3rds that I'd backed win only. Its a pain in the ass but you have to expect it at the prices.

I'd backed it win only. I was referring to the run of consecutive big priced 2nds/3rds that I'd backed win only. Its a pain in the ass but you have to expect it at the prices.

Sorry mate - couldn't open the link properly as I'm on my phone in the middle of nowhere with poor signal. He's due another win soon enough as long as the ground stays good, so definitely one to keep an eye on.

convert wrote: »
    Sorry mate - couldn't open the link properly as I'm on my phone in the middle of nowhere with poor signal. He's due another win soon enough as long as the ground stays good, so definitely one to keep an eye on.

No worries, I'm only playing with small stakes at the moment but add this to the list 2312860946 14-06-2014 14:40 York - Win Market Back 9 Busatto €6.00 29 Matched

2nd

Calling all brains.

I backed Dustin Johnson in the US Open and he managed to bogey 3 of the last 4 holes to finish in a tie for 4th.

I backed him EW (and foolishly to win) at 28/1 so thats 7/1 the place but my bookie pays 6 places and 8 players occupied the top 6 places so dead heat rules will apply.

Can anybody tell me what to expect re the place part of my bet ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

there were 5 players tied for the 3 places (4th, 5th, 6th)
    so you'll get 3/5 of the 7/1 place part
    that works out at a €42 return for €10 e/w

there were 5 players tied for the 3 places (4th, 5th, 6th)
    so you'll get 3/5 of the 7/1 place part
    that works out at a €42 return for €10 e/w

Thanks groutch.

tomaussie wrote: »
    Calling all brains.

I backed Dustin Johnson in the US Open and he managed to bogey 3 of the last 4 holes to finish in a tie for 4th.

I backed him EW (and foolishly to win) at 28/1 so thats 7/1 the place but my bookie pays 6 places and 8 players occupied the top 6 places so dead heat rules will apply.

Can anybody tell me what to expect re the place part of my bet ?

Had him EW too, the fecker...

He's got a serious habit of dropping shots in the final 9 on Sundays when in contention.

only1stevo wrote: »
    Had him EW too, the fecker...

He's got a serious habit of dropping shots in the final 9 on Sundays when in contention.

Don't think he was in contention but I know what you mean. Whistling straights in 2010 is a perfect example.

He is a good front runner but he'll not carry my money again until the final major this year.

Kuchar was the man to take out of this weeks tournament for me. His lower ball flight will be well suited to the Open next month so I'll take the 40's available in case he wins in the interim.

• Advertisement

tomaussie wrote: »
    Don't think he was in contention but I know what you mean. Whistling straights in 2010 is a perfect example.

He is a good front runner but he'll not carry my money again until the final major this year.

Kuchar was the man to take out of this weeks tournament for me. His lower ball flight will be well suited to the Open next month so I'll take the 40's available in case he wins in the interim.

No to be fair he was not in contention yesterday.. blind hope on my part.

Interesting re Kuchar will keep that in mind.

Would love a bit of 20s for Casey to win the Irish Open.. think he'll be an excellent each way play. Playing much better now than he was when we won it last year.

PP go 25s about Casey- sweet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭BumperD

Got burnt to a cinder today despite wearing sfp 30, that will "learn" me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Will-Ferrell-sunburn.jpg

Something like that alright. Lesson learnt.

That'll learn you. Stay indoors until sunset.

Getting the vitamin d topped up on the free, the only way to go during these austere times slattsy. Missed the derby (heard the Ozzy horse (!) ran well), is that Verrazano or whatever the feck his name is running for o Brien this week at Ascot? The only one I fancied , bit out of touch with the gg's last few weeks

Verrazano is running tomorrow mate.

Just went on oddschecker, toronada very short with Lads, so I'll skip verranzano but I did like his last run. Won't even get to watch any of RA as I'll be working and don't have net set up in the new gaff yet to watch replays in my own time. Piggybacking on WiFi network from this coffee shop in the shopping complex not far from condo. Time to go home and cook dinner. On with the sun hat, hugging the shade for the 15min walk home :) . bumperD over and out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 551 ✭✭✭bellybuster12

Lol, that is all

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

If there are any more posts in here to get around the closure of the feedback thread you will get a months ban from the forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,173 ✭✭✭hucklebuck

Deadly stuff to lighten the mood:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gvReNg2e0aY

What a band, somewhat under-rated this side of the Atlantic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭droidman123

Slattsy wrote: »
    What a band, somewhat under-rated this side of the Atlantic.

Not by me slattsy, great band. I was going to say I love the beach boys,but it somehow just didn't look right :)

Dancing In The Street :D

• Advertisement

Bowie lost nearly 20 years of cred in 3 minutes.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

That is a think of beauty, in saying that my musicals taste are not good!

I nearly got sick laughing on the train at the Beach Boys.

I am going to try my hand at doing a few videos.

I need a pint. Stat.

Signed and paid up for home wireless net Saturday, get home, devices won't connect to router :( , onto phone helpline to timbucktoo, no progress, back to shop, sorted. Its bloody amazing how disconnected you can feel when you have no web access.

Net at new gaff at last.

• Advertisement
Advertisement