Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Official Off Topic Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Peintre Celebre

I'm bulling. Marked Rezwaan down as a gamble for today. Was working late last night and missed the 8/1 first price. Now into 13/8

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭BumperD

He got stuffed. You won't be bulling now.

BumperD wrote: »
    He got stuffed. You won't be bulling now.

Yeah thank God. But if every 8/1 shot I back goes off 11/4 I'd be doing alright

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,653 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I have deleted a number of posts

Whatever the underlying issue do not discuss other users and particularly things that are happening outside of Boards in-thread

Any questions PM me or one of the local mods - do not respond in-thread

Yeah thank God. But if every 8/1 shot I back goes off 11/4 I'd be doing alright

So true!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭rule supreme

It is very sad to hear that High Chaparral was put down , was one of my favourite racehorses .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,339 ✭✭✭convert

It is very sad to hear that High Chaparral was put down , was one of my favourite racehorses .

Really? What happend? Very sad news.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭sdoc13

convert wrote: »
    Really? What happend? Very sad news.

Complications during a colic operation. Article on irish racing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

See what it's like to go over the jumps on a steeplechaser
    Scroll down for video.
    http://www.breakingnews.ie/discover/see-what-its-like-to-go-over-the-jumps-on-a-steeplechaser-655638.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 528 ✭✭✭bit of a bogey

Whats the story with Matt Chapman? Haven't seen him on ATR in a long time?

• Advertisement

He was on st Stephens day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 528 ✭✭✭bit of a bogey

He was on st Stephens day

Ok then. Didn't see any ATR Stephens day. Doesn't seem to be getting as much air time as he used to though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

Is it the Shamrock Rovers fan that found solace in Willie

Look closer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Oscars Well.

CarpoThePunk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭sting60

There is no horse to beat the new one imp.I hope I'm wrong but the facts based on my opinion he wins the champion hurdle,please prove me wrong with facts.

What makes you think he'll turn around form with Jeski? The fact is he was well beaten last year (I know he got badly hampered with the fatal fall of Our Conor but he had a full circuit to make up for that & fact is, he couldn't).

My opinion for what its worth based on fact the new one won is way clear on ratings.I I'm interested in ratings per say but IMO the new one will win.He is currently my banker as I believe Mullins will not take him on(he is hurt).

What makes you think he'll tuound form with Jeski? The fact is he was well beaten last year (I know he got badly hampered with the fatal fall of Our Conor but he had a full circuit to make up for that & fact is, he couldn't).

Based on the third horse( did you forget,)I hope I'm wrong bit facts don't tell
    Ies.

• Advertisement

sting60 wrote: »
    My opinion for what its worth based on fact the new one won is way clear on ratings.I I'm interested in ratings per say but IMO the new one will win.He is currently my banker as I believe Mullins will not take him on(he is hurt).

The new one rated 167. Jeski rated 169. He may well win but on ratings, the fact is Jeski should have the beating of him again.

Based on the third horse( did you forget,)I hope I'm wrong bit facts don't tell
    Ies.
    The new one IMO is way ahead of anything ,should be backed I
    'm a big big fan(

I don't do hype).back him now as we all know horses will be withdrawn..

There is no horse to beat the new one imp.I hope I'm wrong but the facts based on my opinion he wins the champion hurdle,please prove me wrong with facts.

Can we use the facts of our opinions to prove the facts of your opinion wrong :confused:

TNO lost about three/four lengths when Our Conor sadly fell, he got back into it but was tapped for toe turning in, he stayed on well up the hill but can't see any reason for him reversing the form with Jezki and Faugheen is better than TNO.

The new one IMO is way ahead of anything ,should be backed I
    'm a big big fan(

I don't do hype).back him now as we all know horses will be withdrawn..

The new one will win the champion hurdle that is my opinion big big time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭mr.jingle

The new one will win the champion hurdle that is my opinion big big time.

Have you any facts to back this up since your looking for facts for everyone else??? Your posts are extremely hard to read and I can't make head nor tails of what you are saying!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Oscars Well.

This is how I've always pictured Sting

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTIIqCg4Evmf7P7fcU40C3VsMx9PfKcLcy4wBo7pwCtl_OuI30v

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭mr.jingle

This is how I've always pictured Sting

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTIIqCg4Evmf7P7fcU40C3VsMx9PfKcLcy4wBo7pwCtl_OuI30v

Cheers for that, just spat my cuppa everywhere with a big LOL :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭jimjamcos

Yep it's a fact that TNO will beat a horse who defeated him last year and an unbeaten horse he's never met before. Lol.

Sting is more a brandy and cigars man. :D

• Advertisement

Sting is more a brandy and cigars man. :D

More like the riddler (Michael D Higgins) in this pisstake from years gone by @ 1 minute 5 seconds :

• Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭tomaussie

All I'm getting from those posts are the brandy. And beer. And wine. And brandy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

Can't believe that lad in the link you posted PC is in college the blog is like a 12 yrs would read,he got the shift
    What will happen if he ever gets the ride
    Edit its gone I see a well

naughto wrote: »
    Can't believe that lad in the link you posted PC is in college the blog is like a 12 yrs would read,he got the shift
    What will happen if he ever gets the ride
    Edit its gone I see a well

Unbelievable really. Talk about a moron

Anyone else think Hayley Turner has been riding terribly last few months

• Registered Users Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭Luap

Unbelievable really. Talk about a moron

Anyone else think Hayley Turner has been riding terribly last few months

Had been thinking that too, but does she get that many rides?

• Advertisement

Luap wrote: »
    Had been thinking that too, but does she get that many rides?

Not as many as she expected following Spencers decision not to retire.

Bulling I missed the 10/1 Ardkilly Witness tomorrow he looked a right bet at that price, Will go off half that, letting it run as a result

Bulling I missed the 10/1 Ardkilly Witness tomorrow he looked a right bet at that price, Will go off half that, letting it run as a result

Good spot.

Good spot.

Thanks shame I missed it. There'll be more hopefully

Thanks shame I missed it. There'll be more hopefully

Total respect PC. That is some restraint you have. Hope you're not too down about missing out.

That's a few recent winners you've not backed and I seen your bit in the 'how do you pick a winner' thread and you do stick to your guns. I hope you get the long term benefit.

It's making me realise I'm a bookmakers wet dream. I've no discipline and the more I win the bigger my stake gets. I've always backed EW but now I'm thinking twice. In fact I'm thinking twice about my whole approach.

• Advertisement

Thanks Tom. I try to stick to my guns alright. I always have a minimum price in mind that I'll take and I won't budge on that. If you do you're making excuses and exceptions. These traits could easily enter the rest of your betting. Value is everything, I don't get too down because there'll always be more, though it's most frustrating when you miss a price that you would have taken, not so much if it was never the price you wanted.

FairPlay PC, that's a serious approach to have. You must really minimise your losses and maximise your wins with it. Do you just back straight win always?

Yeah straight win. I do question it at times like a few weeks ago I'd four seconds in a row all backed to win, prices were 2 x 10/1 (one beaten a nose) 20/1 and 8/1. That said it maximises your winnings when they do land and obviously you're not losing as much when they are unplaced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭unitedrover

PC, Another question for you. How do you actually price up a horse yourself and know that you have value? Are you like an amateur bookmaker?

Yeah straight win. I do question it at times like a few weeks ago I'd four seconds in a row all backed to win, prices were 2 x 10/1 (one beaten a nose) 20/1 and 8/1. That said it maximises your winnings when they do land and obviously you're not losing as much when they are unplaced.

I think it's the best method tbh, especially given that the majority of your picks are in handicaps, when a horse is either out to win or waiting for another day. Keep up the good work anyway

Guys. I'm not being lazy and some may know my 3G is not fantastic. I have looked through several threads but can't find what I'm looking for.

I read a post recently about Ruby giving a horse an easy ride to finish 4th to qualify for a race at Cheltenham.

Ring any bells ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

tomaussie wrote: »
    Guys. I'm not being lazy and some may know my 3G is not fantastic. I have looked through several threads but can't find what I'm looking for.

I read a post recently about Ruby giving a horse an easy ride to finish 4th to qualify for a race at Cheltenham.

Ring any bells ?

Dara Tango in the Pertemps trial at Leopardstown.

Dara Tango in the Pertemps trial at Leopardstown.

Thank you very much kind sir.

Question. Is there such a thing as a good losing bet?

And is there such a thing as a bad winning bet

If you back something at value odds (which you do) and it loses, thats a good losing bet.

If you back a horse odds on when its should be 9/4 & its scrapes home by a head, thats a bad winning bet imo as you took an almighty risk backing it in the first place.

Probably opening pandora's box again on value betting which has been flogged to death.

• Advertisement
Advertisement