Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Official Off Topic Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭jimjamcos

Question. Is there such a thing as a good losing bet?

And is there such a thing as a bad winning bet

I'd consider any bet when you break your own rules, show indiscipline, as a bad bet, regardless of result. In the long run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭BumperD

Thats actually a far better response.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭mr.jingle

jimjamcos wrote: »
    I'd consider any bet when you break your own rules, show indiscipline, as a bad bet, regardless of result. In the long run.

Brilliantly put

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭sdoc13

And my god there have been many, many, many of those. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Peintre Celebre

Theystes Thursday. One of my favorite races of the year yet it invokes one of my worst memories. Couldn't decide between Jadanli and possibly the slowest horse in the world Tarquinius both huge odds. Can anyone guess the outcome

Goodness me anyone backing Djakadam 3/1 ante post for this please call your nearest HSE mental health unit I beg you

Your Heany nearly came in today after being a nr at Christmas, were you on?

BumperD wrote: »
    Your Heany nearly came in today after being a nr at Christmas, were you on?

No I was looking at betfair earlier he went off 48, was thinking there was no way he was a 50 shot at the time. Glad I didn't I'd have been sick I think he traded sub 4/1. 11 for a place was big in hindsight. He should win a decent handicap at some stage I'm just not sure of his trip. Hopefully isn't hit too hard

Is was a great spot, you must hours studying those handicappers. I backed Draco today, he got badly hampered on the home turn when about to launch his run which definitely cost him a place imo, he has a big handicap in him I reckon. Was looking at Heany when you put him up at Christmas and was going to hit him but went with Draco. I think I will just follow you in future with handicappers as I'm no good with those races :pac:

• Advertisement

BumperD wrote: »
    Is was a great spot, you must hours studying those handicappers. I backed Draco today, he got badly hampered on the home turn when about to launch his run which definitely cost him a place imo, he has a big handicap in him I reckon. Was looking at Heany when you put him up at Christmas and was going to hit him but went with Draco. I think I will just follow you in future with handicappers as I'm no good with those races :pac:

It depends I wouldn't necessarily spend too long on a single race. I often find it easy enough to eliminate a lot of the field even some of the more fancied ones. I had my eye on him for a long time I can't quite remember when, think it was when he caught the eye in the Irish National last year, the hardest part is knowing when to back and when not to when following one. Nothing more frustrating than having one win on you when you're waiting one more run.

Secret Witness one I'll be hitting soon but not entered anywhere yet but should soon. Yard finally had a winner after five months and will be a nice price

In fairness regarding Draco it is extremely hard to back any of JP's. Some of those Irish handicap hurdles are extremely difficult. Think the chases may not be as bad but still tricky. Theyestes doesn't necessarily look as competitive as it may appear. Can't get away from Toon River at a price but probably won't back, think he wont see it out in that ground it could be a proper slog

Well I find those handicaps very difficult, I have a crap return in them and I only have a go at the odd big ones but my returns are miserable. I think I'll pack them in from a betting perspective. I tend to fair better in grade 1 or 2's.
    Those green and white silks do attract an extra risk , far too much messing goes on so I generally avoid but I think at least today my fella was trying.

I'm on a rather cold run at present, I might just spend the next 8 weeks focusing on the festival races and have a betting hiatus between now and then.

It depends I wouldn't necessarily spend too long on a single race. I often find it easy enough to eliminate a lot of the field even some of the more fancied ones. I had my eye on him for a long time I can't quite remember when, think it was when he caught the eye in the Irish National last year, the hardest part is knowing when to back and when not to when following one. Nothing more frustrating than having one win on you when you're waiting one more run.

Secret Witness one I'll be hitting soon but not entered anywhere yet but should soon. Yard finally had a winner after five months and will be a nice price

In fairness regarding Draco it is extremely hard to back any of JP's. Some of those Irish handicap hurdles are extremely difficult. Think the chases may not be as bad but still tricky. Theyestes doesn't necessarily look as competitive as it may appear. Can't get away from Toon River at a price but probably won't back, think he wont see it out in that ground it could be a proper slog

Jesus just had a look at secret witness. Backed it over a year ago when third by a head at doncaster of of a mark of 98 and I thought he was well in at the time. Was off 75 in its last run. Unbelievable. Have added to my tracker. Cheers for the heads up.

Theystes Thursday. One of my favorite races of the year yet it invokes one of my worst memories. Couldn't decide between Jadanli and possibly the slowest horse in the world Tarquinius both huge odds. Can anyone guess the outcome

I was in the same dilemma for that race and sided with Jadanli for small stakes while having a decent wedge on Tarquinius. To this day I always regret not having the rfc

Anyone read the interview with Mark Prescott on RP? Possibly my least favorite man in racing

What’s your biggest ambition in racing?
    To win the Derby, but also to deserve the respect of my colleagues, in that, be the race big or small, when going through the entries, they always look at one of mine twice.

Yeah they'll look at yours twice alright. Probably a Montjeu filly running over a mile and a half having ran three times over six. There is something seriously wrong with racing when he can operate the way he does and it's within the rules

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭nobody told me

Anyone read the interview with Mark Prescott on RP? Possibly my least favorite man in racing

What’s your biggest ambition in racing?
    To win the Derby, but also to deserve the respect of my colleagues, in that, be the race big or small, when going through the entries, they always look at one of mine twice.

Yeah they'll look at yours twice alright. Probably a Montjeu filly running over a mile and a half having ran three times over six. There is something seriously wrong with racing when he can operate the way he does and it's within the rules

He's an absolute joke, gets the best bred horses that cost a fortune then runs up a shi1ty sequence in handicaps with them. Oh great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

Lads watching Brasseye again, still brilliant. This is the drugs episode where they convinced celebrities there was a new drugs on the street called cake and got them to campaign against this "made up drug", they even got it into parliament, class, give it a look:

Shemale wrote: »
    Lads watching Brasseye again, still brilliant. This is the drugs episode where they convinced celebrities there was a new drugs on the street called cake and got them to campaign against this "made up drug", they even got it into parliament, class, give it a look:

Havent seen that in ages. Still brilliant cheers shemale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

sdoc13 wrote: »
    Havent seen that in ages. Still brilliant cheers shemale.

No bother, just started watching it again, forgot how good it was.

Must check out The Day Today after I have finished watching this.

I see Missie Ella running in Ayr today 3-55. Was 20s earlier now ranging from 9s to 16s although a couple of non runners

Someone somewhere isn't a happy bunny tonight. 3 quid matched at 500 on Willie's bumper horse tomorrow, 4/5 best price

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭ft9

Someone somewhere isn't a happy bunny tonight. 3 quid matched at 500 on Willie's bumper horse tomorrow, 4/5 best price

How can that happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Shanee.

ft9 wrote: »
    How can that happen?

Put up on exchanges and someone matched it.

Bot error I'd imagine.

Two seriously well handicapped horses running Thursday and Friday choo choo. Have a strong wheelbarrow at the ready gents.

Two seriously well handicapped horses running Thursday and Friday choo choo. Have a strong wheelbarrow at the ready gents.

I know fridays I think. I have a bet of the week for thursday wonder if its the same.

Think I know your Thursday one. If it's the one I'm thinking of I'm not backing it because I don't know about the surface.

Think I know your Thursday one. If it's the one I'm thinking of I'm not backing it because I don't know about the surface.

Ya just looking at it again only had a quick check on the mobile earlier when I got the email. Surface complete unknown. Right distance but now I am not quite as enthusiastic. Price will decide I think but wont be the bet I had planned.

First one not declared for tomorrow

First one not declared for tomorrow

Be sure to post the second. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Anyone recognise any new (old) characters?

• Advertisement

Be sure to post the second. ;)

Drawn well, two I feared most out wide, another not declared. Max bet coming $$$$

Drawn well, two I feared most out wide, another not declared. Max bet coming $$$$

Choo choo. What time will you be posting it?

Soon as I'm on in the morning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Hulk Hands wrote: »

I prefer St Pats myself. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭curioser

Hulk Hands wrote: »

The only thing that can replace a Prix de l'Arc winning mare is another Prix de l'Arc winning mare!

Enigma Code 6:35 Dundalk max bet. Fared much better than the bare result last time from a bad draw over seven, looking the winner until Aidan's horse went by who had a stone in hand. Probably paid the price for trying to win the race but he is well drawn and in good form. Be disappointed if he didn't go well tonight 10/1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

Any one that uses the pp app know how to turn off the blackjack game ad that keeps coming up when your looking at races you have to turn your phone to landscape for it to work.
    It's annoying as f1uvk

naughto wrote: »
    Any one that uses the pp app know how to turn off the blackjack game ad that keeps coming up when your looking at races you have to turn your phone to landscape for it to work.
    It's annoying as f1uvk

It's beyond annoying!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

There has to be a way to turn the c1unt off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭ste2010

Enigma Code 6:35 Dundalk max bet. Fared much better than the bare result last time from a bad draw over seven, looking the winner until Aidan's horse went by who had a stone in hand. Probably paid the price for trying to win the race but he is well drawn and in good form. Be disappointed if he didn't go well tonight 10/1

Choo choo! On board but worried how much hogan's horse is being punted so dutched both..
    Que: double disaster

Ow my pocket

Ow my pocket

Ya expensive day. Asian wing is going to hose up some day and I wont be on.

Enigma very disappointing.

I'm pre-empting another Donald McCain affair tomorrow at musselborough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

do you mean the "lets see how many pounds we can get Cinders And Ashes dropped before Cheltenham" game?

do you mean the "lets see how many pounds we can get Cinders And Ashes dropped before Cheltenham" game?

Not at all! I noticed he's an entry. I'd hazard guess he won't win a race this season of significant grade. If he does they might pull it off in the summer Aintree event.

I strongly fancy Doyle Carte and Swift arrow (winner of the same race in 2014 off the same mark tomorrow). Mccains horses starting to come into form now.
    Another I like is Bothy back down in class

• Advertisement

A documentary just started on the Hungarian sprinter Overdose on Setanta its a good look at some of the shady goings on with his owner and the relationship with his trainer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭tomaussie

$1.50 cocktails in Hoi An Vietnam. Game on !!!! And good quality too.

Game on.

Anyone spot one of the most ridiculously well handicapped horses entered Dundalk Friday night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

Anyone spot one of the most ridiculously well handicapped horses entered Dundalk Friday night

Pencil Hill?

I'll personally be keeping an eye on Tom Dooley, basement mark for the bollix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

tomaussie wrote: »
    $1.50 cocktails in Hoi An Vietnam. Game on !!!! And good quality too.

Game on.

Lovely spot.

• Advertisement
Advertisement