Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WWE Outcomes & Leaked scripts

• 07-12-2013 1:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 327 ✭✭

Q: Kind of an obvious question but do the commentators know the outcomes of matches beforehand?

It's clear they have a script and have to push certain angles or ideas during each match. However sometimes they genuinely sound surprised (often say if a guy gets out of a submission move etc eg
    Ambrose v Punk on Smackdown yesterday
    ). I was wondering is the finish kept from them in order to keep their delivery sounding 'interested' and 'genuine'?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 871 ✭✭✭gerTheGreat

Hematocyte wrote: »
    Q: Kind of an obvious question but do the commentators know the outcomes of matches beforehand?

It's clear they have a script and have to push certain angles or ideas during each match. However sometimes they genuinely sound surprised (often say if a guy gets out of a submission move etc eg
    ). I was wondering is the finish kept from them in order to keep their delivery sounding 'interested' and 'genuine'?

Jim Ross was part of the booking committee (in the 90s/ early 2000s) that set matches and outcomes in the WWE, while he was on commentary, so he definitely would have know what to expect.

It's likely that most commentators might know what to expect but you'd be hard pushed to find someone to verify it. My suspicious is that they are feed some things but not others. For example, a commentator may be told to expect a serve at the end of a match but may not know what said server will actually be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

I think the commentary sounds incredibly forced, especially Michael Cole's "he's definitely gonna win! 1-2-aw kickout who can believe it!"-style McMahonisms. WWE's product is scripted in incredible detail, including both in-ear, written bullet points and verbatim what the commentators need to convey, which includes knowing when the finish is coming and how to put it over.

WCW did try out withholding the finish from the commentators to try get a more natural-sounding call but it was horrendous, as it would trip them up and was quickly abandoned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

At worst they have bullet points. Stuff like Punk wins, Shield to run in etc. There is a script floating around somewhere and most of the promos are scripted word for word. No way the commentators are left out of the loop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭Charisteas

JR not knowing that he was going to be drafted from Raw to Smackdown. I can imagine Vince backstage hysterically laughing at the look on JR's face.

Charisteas wrote: »
    I can imagine Vince backstage hysterically laughing at the look on JR's face.

Jim Ross has Bells Palsy. He always has the same look on his face

wwe-jim-ross.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭SimonQuinlank

A script from earlier this year:

http://imgur.com/a/zPq5v

Very likely the notes the commentators often have in front of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Ridley

NOT "TWINKIE TITS" BUT ANOTHER INSULT should be written into every script for anything ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭sophya

"Load the Shield under the ring"

Made me laugh, I wonder what size boxes they use for that?

So are these legit then?

Would be awesome if someone uploaded a Raw script an hour or two before the show itself, just so see how much they would scramble to change everything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭buckfasterer

Scripts??? What the fcuk?? You mean to tell me its not real??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Scripts??? What the fcuk?? You mean to tell me its not real??

Its still real to me dammit! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

They love to have a ballyhoo!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭764dak

I remember in the early 2000's there was a masked magician special where he told the secrets of magic tricks that magicians don't want you to know. In late 2000's I watched a masked wrestler special. The wrestler wore a mask so as to no reveal his identity. He told many of the secrets of wrestling including the roles of referees and commentators.

He basically said for matches the commentator would give the referee hand signals. The commentator gauges the crowd reaction to the match and if he doesn't like the reaction he might signal to referee for the match to end. The referee would whisper to the wrestlers to end the match soon. This makes sense for lower and midcard matches.

So not only do commentators know the outcome they are sometimes responsible for the ending of matches.

The only problem I have is that in 2003-04(?) the commentators for Raw sat near the stage entrance so they wouldn't be able to signal to refs. This was also the case for WCW Nitro in the 1990's.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭Kankan14

You’ll notice most refs have worn an earpiece since the 90’s afaik thats to eliminate hand signals and miscommunication

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    They love to have a ballyhoo!

Had never heard that word before I started reading all these scripts. Sounds like a small Irish village. My New Years resolution is to start using that word once a day :cool:

764dak wrote: »
    I remember in the early 2000's there was a masked magician special where he told the secrets of magic tricks that magicians don't want you to know. In late 2000's I watched a masked wrestler special. The wrestler wore a mask so as to no reveal his identity. He told many of the secrets of wrestling including the roles of referees and commentators.

He basically said for matches the commentator would give the referee hand signals. The commentator gauges the crowd reaction to the match and if he doesn't like the reaction he might signal to referee for the match to end. The referee would whisper to the wrestlers to end the match soon. This makes sense for lower and midcard matches.

So not only do commentators know the outcome they are sometimes responsible for the ending of matches.

The only problem I have is that in 2003-04(?) the commentators for Raw sat near the stage entrance so they wouldn't be able to signal to refs. This was also the case for WCW Nitro in the 1990's.

That's way out dated now. As best I can recall, the whole show was outdated when it aired for the first time. May still happen in some of the small Indy promotions but it hasn't happened in the mainstream promotions in many years.

• Advertisement

Pretty much interchangeable for a donnybrook.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭waltersobchak

764dak wrote: »

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

I remember watching that years ago! Along with the magic one! Did they ever find out any of the wrestlers involved?

Dusty Rhodes was involved. He was interviewed with his face in shadows (or something). He used to do sit down pieces to the camera and talk about the booking parts (or something).

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I'm pretty sure Dustin Runnels was one of them.

Really? In what way? Ill have too watch it all again soon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Endaaaagh

I think Harley Race was in it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,203 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Dustin Runnels was with WWF at the time :P

The list is:

- Harley Race (the booker)
    - Christopher Daniels (slither)
    - Pitbull 1
    - Pitbull 2
    - Mike Modest
    - Donovan Morgan
    - Del Wilkes/Patriot (Private Pain)
    - Brent Albright/Gunner Scott
    - Adam Pearce

and the ref was Roland Alexander.

Dustin Runnels was with WWF at the time :P

The list is:

- Harley Race (the booker)
    - Christopher Daniels (slither)
    - Pitbull 1
    - Pitbull 2
    - Mike Modest
    - Donovan Morgan
    - Del Wilkes/Patriot (Private Pain)
    - Brent Albright/Gunner Scott
    - Adam Pearce

and the ref was Roland Alexander.

Would they all have been Indy guys at the time bar Harley race?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

Where do people get these scripts from?

I assume the people who sit behind the commentators can see the scripts during the show though.

Advertisement