Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Security at Christmas

Options
  • 12-12-2013 12:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,952 ✭✭✭✭

Hopefully people don't need a reminder, but with it being silly season and all, there's no harm with a bit of a security reminder for the madness that is Christmas.

Crime shoots up in December as people stock up their homes with presents for the coming festivities. Criminals are well aware of this, so people need to be extra vigilant. A few tips:
    • Don't leave anything on show - It may look pretty to have presents under the tree, but make sure that can't be seen from outside
    • Lock all doors - Goes without saying, but people still leave doors unlocked. Especially when going to bed. A locked door will stop a burglar from gaining access if you're asleep.
    • Close all the windows - The likelyhood of anyone having windows open in December is small, but remember to close and lock them if possible.
    • Don't leave car/house keys hanging in back of door/near the front door - Some criminals are experts in using telescopic magnetic rods to remove keys from doors/holders through the letterbox. Also, you're better off bringing them to the bedroom with you, will at least save the car from being robbed if someone breaks in.
    • Set alarms - even if you're only popping out for 2 minutes, set the alarm. And, if possible, learn how to set zones, so the downstairs can be armed while you're asleep upstairs.
    • Be careful when shopping - Opportunistic thieves will love a grab and run, so have a good hold on bags, etc.
    • Report anything suspicious - There will be an increase in people collecting for X reason, don't fall trap to them without being sure. Same goes for the people on the streets collecting, make sure before giving them anything.
    • Cars - Don't leave anything on show, put everything into the boot/glove box, smash and grabs are popular this way too. And no, hiding them under a coat won't work.
    • Look after the elderly in your area - They will be most vulnerable at this time of the year, so keep a look out for them, be it for criminal activity or general well-being.

Any more idea folks, feel free to add and i'll try and keep the first post up to date. Happy Holidays!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭cococoady

I'm working for a courier. Last week one of our lads was delivering into the chemist in lismore pk. While in there an old chap comes in and says that there was some fella trying to open the van door and was checking out the cab. When the driver went out the fella was walking up the road. Driver then got into the van and drove up to the traffic lights. While stopped there the same fella pulled open the van door and made a lung for where the driver had his personal smart phone. Thing was the driver did have it in view but when he got into the van he moved it out of sight. The fella went for the exact area where the driver had it. Ended up running away empty handed.

Moral of the story is I would recommend people lock their car doors even when inside it along with keeping valuables out of sight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭ex_infantry

i deliver chilled foods to shops and we have what is called a run lock system on the truck where by if i'm in the shop i can keep the truck running to keep the fridge unit operating and have the keys in my pocket, so if some gob****e tries to make off with the truck soon as they drop the handbrake the whole truck shuts down!!!
    best invention ever, every vehicle should have one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

We got broken into last weekend, fortunately nothing was taken.
    House alarm has been fitted.
    Scum of the earth out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

be suspicious of people, especially if they look like they are loitering in an area where they have no business. sounds over the top probably.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭TheBoffin

Almost every morning listening to the local radio news you hear of 4 or 5 places robbed the previous night. Its a sad reality considering I remember a time when people used to leave a key in the yale lock on the front door.

ALWAYS REMEMBER - There is no shame of shouting through the door before you open it. Genuine callers will understand. If you are not expecting someone, not interested in what is on sale, or don't know/uncomfortable with the person, then don't Open The Door.

Some extra tip's

* Keep your keys (Including car keys) out of sight and reach of the door
    * Keep your car locked when parked at home
    * Keep watch on your pets - Several incidents of people having dogs stolen from the back garden over the past few weeks.
    * Christmas Dry Recycling - Keep it locked in the shed until next collection day after Christmas. You don't want to advertise that you got a new xbox one or laptop off santa.
    * Anti snap barrel locks - I had an attempt on my own house last year and was shocked to see how easy and silent it was for someone to get into the house (demonstrated by the locksmith as he had to break my old lock anyway) - They sell these in most DIY shops and are reasonably priced and easy to fit.

Personal Security Before Pride - Yell through the door!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭cbl593h

Be careful when you put the rubbish out. PS3 and new €1000 plasma TV boxes that won't fit in the green bin left in the driveway are a good advertisement............

fcuk that!!! burn all your cardboard ya get over xmas that is the safest way, god help the scum that try break into my house at night i keeps a hammer in bedside locker!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

And if you live alone and intend opening your front door to a stranger , make sure your back door is locked first .

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭LiamD1977

If your going away over Christmas or out for the night lock some of the internal doors behind you. That way if a thief gets in upstairs he may not be able to get downstairs or other way around. Might limit what he gets his hands on.

I believe you have to make their life difficult so other targets seem more appealing. If you have a side gate put a lock on it. Get an alarm.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

LiamD1977 wrote: »
    If your going away over Christmas or out for the night lock some of the internal doors behind you. That way if a thief gets in upstairs he may not be able to get downstairs or other way around. Might limit what he gets his hands on.

I believe you have to make their life difficult so other targets seem more appealing. If you have a side gate put a lock on it. Get an alarm.

I agree with you make it as hard as possible for these scum however often when internal doors are locked they will smash them up, which will end up costing the home owner €€€€€'s in repairs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

ROCKMAN wrote: »

I agree with you make it as hard as possible for these scum however often when internal doors are locked they will smash them up, which will end up costing the home owner €€€€€'s in repairs.

Internet-enabled Home CCTV systems were never cheaper:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/homesurveillanceuk

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Just had a weird one here in Ballygunner.

Myself and my wife were watching TV in our living room. Our 4 dogs were in bed in the under the stairs toilet. They started Barking which wouldn't be unusual but it went on a bit longer than usual. They stopped but a couple of seconds later I heard a noise at my letterbox, as if someone was delivering a leaflet - at midnight!

I looked into the hall and there was nothing there. I then opened the blinds but couldn't see anyone. I went outside and walked up and down the road and still didn't see anyone. Checked my back garden etc and nobody around.

Very strange because there definitely wasn't enough wind to blow the letterbox. This has never happened in the past either.

I phoned the local Garda station to report it. They said they'd send a car in to take a look around. And fair play to them they did. Three Gardaí got out of the car and went looking around, including going in around the wasteland with flashlights. They didn't find anyone though.

So I don't really know what it means but I'm making sure all my doors and Windows are locked.

nkay1985 wrote: »
    Just had a weird one here in Ballygunner.

Myself and my wife were watching TV in our living room. Our 4 dogs were in bed in the under the stairs toilet. They started Barking which wouldn't be unusual but it went on a bit longer than usual. They stopped but a couple of seconds later I heard a noise at my letterbox, as if someone was delivering a leaflet - at midnight!

I looked into the hall and there was nothing there. I then opened the blinds but couldn't see anyone. I went outside and walked up and down the road and still didn't see anyone. Checked my back garden etc and nobody around.

Very strange because there definitely wasn't enough wind to blow the letterbox. This has never happened in the past either.

I phoned the local Garda station to report it. They said they'd send a car in to take a look around. And fair play to them they did. Three Gardaí got out of the car and went looking around, including going in around the wasteland with flashlights. They didn't find anyone though.

So I don't really know what it means but I'm making sure all my doors and Windows are locked.
    tomorrow have a good look around your property for anything out of place, your house could very well have been checked out by potential thieves for a robbery when ye aint there, i'd say the dogs startled them

tomorrow have a good look around your property for anything out of place, your house could very well have been checked out by potential thieves for a robbery when ye aint there, i'd say the dogs startled them

Yeah I was thinking that myself. They definitely didn't go out the back through the second gate because you'd hear it a mile away. The thing i can't understand is whatever happened with the letterbox if the dogs did spook someone. We were very obviously in the living room and the front door was unlocked. I'd be almost certain someone was around but I'm very surprised I didn't hear running because I was pretty fast to the windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

Did you leave your car keys in the hall on a table maybe?

They might have been trying to fish them out .

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭.Henry Sellers.

nkay1985 wrote: »
    Yeah I was thinking that myself. They definitely didn't go out the back through the second gate because you'd hear it a mile away. The thing i can't understand is whatever happened with the letterbox if the dogs did spook someone. We were very obviously in the living room and the front door was unlocked. I'd be almost certain someone was around but I'm very surprised I didn't hear running because I was pretty fast to the windows.

Would your letterbox usually flap around in the wind?

shockwave wrote: »
    Did you leave your car keys in the hall on a table maybe?

They might have been trying to fish them out .

Yeah I checked that. They were inside in a bowl on the hall table under some other stuff. It is possible though.
    Would your letterbox usually flap around in the wind?

No it's never happened in 4 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭Chiparus

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭larrymiller

Keep the shotgun loaded!

My brother runs a farm and last Thursday he was filling up the tractor with diesel (he has a tank on the farm) and realized it was empty and it was only filled in early November and at this time of the year the tractor wouldn't be that busy. So the diesel tank should last another while.
    Looks like it was siphoned out the top as the valve on the end is locked and this was untouched. And the frustrating part is we have no idea when it was done.

CCTV will have to be installed

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

I heard a noise on the roof earlier got two barrels into the fcuker but he got away laughing at me the fat b*stard

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭cococoady

House in Johns Pk broken into last night. All Xmas presents taken. There really are some scumbags out there.

Was another broken into and a PS3 taken?

cococoady wrote: »
    House in Johns Pk broken into last night. All Xmas presents taken. There really are some scumbags out there.

They may not have been from John's Park.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭cbl593h

House in Coventry UK got cleaned out Xmas eve, mate of mine put it about on faceache, I put the usual oops so sorry but wait for it- they left the patio unlocked because someone forgot their keys..... Needless to say I said silly clunts. And the fecker deleted me from faceache over my horrible comments.....

STIG83 wrote: »
    CCTV will have to be installed

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/330788401895

7upfree wrote: »

Does it have number plate recognition? No good having CCTV and some ****er has his face hidden!!

STIG83 wrote: »
    Does it have number plate recognition? No good having CCTV and some ****er has his face hidden!!

Have a look at it on YouTube Stig.

Advertisement