Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best option for selling books online

Options
  • 12-12-2013 1:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

I'm looking to begin selling a book online on behalf of an author. Is there anyone who sells books in paper and kindle format in ternationally who can give me some good advice please? I'd be most grateful.
    1) Can you suggest good options and not-so-good options please?
    2) Is Amazon gone too expensive or is it still no.1?
    3) Is it better to use a Paypal button on a website and avoid the Amazons, Ebays etc?

I've been looking at Amazon for days now and the amount of negative comments from sellers regarding fees and overall hassle is really offputting!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

Amazon Print on Demand and Kindle might be best for volume. Barnes and Noble might be worth looking at too. For books, Paypal on a site doesn't exactly scream "mainstream". I think that Lightning Source might still be worth looking at as well as they have a POD scheme which has links to Amazon.

If you have printed books and are looking to market them through Amazon, it is a whole different ball game. Without knowing your target market (extremely important for a publisher), you might be asking the wrong questions. Does the book even have an ISBN yet?

Regards...jmcc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Peterdalkey

Have a look at pixelsofink.com and onehundredebooks.com , big list, you deliver to through Amazon Kindle. For newer writers, they give them away free and then as the downloads/review ratings increase , they bump the price

http://www.pixelofink.com
    http://onehundredfreebooks.com/blog/2013/12/12/free-and-discount-kindle-book-picks-morning-december-12th/

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Nelly71

Thanks jmcc. yes, the book has an ISBN. Why does the target market matter when selling on online book stores?

Thanks Peter for the advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

Nelly71 wrote: »
    Thanks jmcc. yes, the book has an ISBN. Why does the target market matter when selling on online book stores?
    The target market always matters. But if you are targeting a market that reads a lot of books on Kindle or other devices, a print edition might not sell as quickly. It also allows you to know what kind of competition you have in the same target market (if it is niche, mainstream or topical etc).

Also if you are targeting Amazon.com then a Print On Demand edition (one printed by Amazon) might be far more efficient in terms of shifting books because Amazon will handle the printing, distribution and dispatch. Packing orders and then getting them to the post office is a very tough part of publishing if you are doing it. Most sellers tend to underestimate the hard work involved and there is always a percentage of books lost in the post. With Amazon's POD, it can get you into the US, Canadian, UK, Australian, Irish and a few other markets for relatively little expenditure and effort.

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement

Thanks jmcc, that's good to know.

Advertisement